General Manager – AccessSMT Holdings Ltd.
AccessSMT Holdings Ltd. (“AccessSMT”) is an industry leader in construction supply, with 13 locations from Toronto to Nanaimo and one facility in Tukwila, Washington and with over 300 employees and a $125 million enterprise that continues to grow.
In early 2017, Speyside Equity had begun the process of identifying businesses in the hardware industry to purchase. In Western Canada, both McGregor & Thompson and Shanahan’s Limited Partnership had been on an upward trajectory, even continuing to grow business in an economic downturn. Speyside purchased both businesses in 2017, effectively bringing two successful businesses under the same umbrella. Together they have over 140 years combined of exceptional service and the delivery of numerous projects across North America in the commercial, residential, industrial, and modular sectors. With a small and dispersed market AccessSMT is positioned to capitalize on a growth opportunity by providing best in class service and the continued creation of value within the organization.
At AccessSMT everything begins with access, central to all aspects of the organization is the commitment to providing access to industry experts, access to high quality products, and access to industry leading customer service.
For further information on AccessSMT Ltd., please visit their website at: https://accesssmt.com
|Job Title:||General Manager|
|Reports to:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Project Mangers, Project Administrators, Estimators, Sales Representative, Project Coordinators, Estimating Manager|
With locations in Edmonton, Calgary and Lethbridge, the General Manager is responsible for directing and leading a business unit, including full responsibility for profit and loss for all facets of the branch. This role requires an individual who is collaborative, results oriented problem solver, with an entrepreneurial spirit. The successful candidate will oversee all aspects of the locations related to estimating, execution of projects, quality, customer service, sales, and administration.
- Manage and work towards the continuous improvement of the locations including establishing and managing all operational processes, practices, templates, procedures, and partnerships;
- Ensure appropriate company systems and process are in place and being followed, including managing transition and change management with the introduction of new systems and processes;
- Plan and prioritize strategic selling activities to achieve business goals, growing sales within existing customers, and developing new commercial business relationships; and
- Plan and prioritize strategic selling activities to achieve business goals, growing sales within existing customers, and developing new commercial business relationships.
- Liaise with the company’s corporate support services, including business analysts, process directors, marketing, business development, procurement, human resources, finance, and IT to facilitate the planning and execution of joint go-to-market activities and ensures that the products and services are well aligned with the company’s core strategy, mission, vision, values, and objectives;
- Proactively manage key customer relationships and ensure that the profile of the business in the community is positive, active, and aligned with our brand;
- Instill a customer focused culture throughout all departments of the branch inclusive of support for troubleshooting, navigating and resolving customer concerns, issues and problems;
- Train, coach, mentor, performance manage/evaluate, and oversee staff; Oversee day-to-day location, logistics, and work to encourage and facilitate continued growth of skills, product/process knowledge in the industry, and work output;
- Supports the development and success of AccessSMT’s inclusive diverse workplace culture and climate; promoting inclusivity through successful relationships and encouraging participation and involvement of others; and
- Responsible for the facility of human resources responsibilities such as orienting onboarding training plans, retention strategies, and performance management plans.
Financial and Business Acumen
- Responsible for profit and loss statement, must have a strong command of all line items;
- Required to manage any profits or losses that directly affect AccessSMT’s financial success;
- Responsible for communicating the actualities of a profit and loss statement to the executive team;
- Must be able to suggest next steps or potential solutions to any loss experienced; and
- Must be able to work with a variety of departments and levels of staff to identify savings opportunities and analyze financial and market data to identify growth opportunities.
- AccessSMT Holdings Ltd is the combination of two Western Canadian staples that combine for over 140 years of unprecedented success;
- The largest Western Canadian supplier and leader in their industry with branches across Canada and locations in the U.S.;
- AccessSMT has a people first mentality, and understand that their value of unmatched expertise and professionalism come directly from their dedicated team; and
- Join a passionate group that has fun and cares about one another.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Gain a thorough understanding of the profitability of their work (from their estimating process through to successful completion/installation);
- Leverage construction financial acumen to integrate themselves into a larger organization;
- Lead the creation of an empowered team with desire to offer exceptional service to clients;
- Innovate new infrastructure to execute strategic plans while modifying existing processes when necessary (i.e. lean construction methodologies); and
- Evaluate AccessSMT team’s capabilities and recommend workforce adjustments where necessary.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in related field.
- 7-10 years’ experience in a related field;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience leading or managing a team;
- Strong sales discernment as well as developed sense of customer relationship and service; and
- Strong financial and business acumen.
Competencies and Attributes
- Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the organization and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with stakeholders on goals, plans and issues and seeks feedback and advice before acting.
- Critical Thinking: Makes strong decisions using analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Customer Focus: Being successful means continuously paying attention to customer needs and adapting as these evolve. Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer centric solutions.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: An attitude and approach to thinking is to actively seek out change, rather than waiting to adapt to change. Mindset where you ask critical questions, innovate and want continuous improvement. Treats business like your own.
- Forward Strategic Thinker: Stays abreast of the best practices, new trends and technology to provide strategic direction and make informed recommendations.
- Management of Ambiguity: Adapts effortlessly to changes in priorities, circumstances and environment; is energized by the opportunity to put their mark on an evolving organization.
- People Leadership: Ability to inspire and focus the Senior Leadership Team toward goal achievement. Demonstrates behaviors consistent with organization values and demands same from others.
- Strategic Leadership: Fosters the development of a common vision providing clear direction and priorities and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Sets the tone for the organizations culture and ensures succession in management and leadership.
- Strategic Planning: Develops short and long-range plans that are comprehensive, creative, realistic and effective in meeting goals and objectives, and integrates planning efforts across functions.
- Strong Leadership: Provides the coaching, support, encouragement and direction required to engage and empower employees in the accomplishment of personal, departmental, and organizational goals and objectives. Models positive leadership behaviors and maintains professionalism under pressure and uncertainty. Provides timely feedback and guidance to employees, ensuring their development and success is supported.
The AccessSMT Ltd. is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. AccessSMT Ltd. welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Optimum Talent and AccessSMT Ltd. throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AJLE-151162 General Manager – AccessSMT Holdings Ltd. - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.