General Counsel and Corporate Secretary – Elexicon Energy Inc.
Elexicon Energy (formerly Veridian Connections Inc. and Whitby Hydro Electric Corporation) was formed on April 1, 2019. The company provides more than 168,000 residential and business customers in parts of Durham Region and beyond with reliable and affordable energy services. Elexicon Energy is the fourth largest municipally owned electricity distributor in Ontario and is owned by five municipalities: the Town of Whitby, the City of Pickering, the Town of Ajax, the City of Belleville and the Municipality of Clarington.
Elexicon Corporation – the single shareholder of Elexicon Energy and Elexicon Group – has a Board of Directors that consists of six independent directors and the mayors of the five municipalities (Whitby, Pickering, Ajax, Clarington and Belleville) that hold shares in the Corporation. Elexicon Energy is the regulated business of the Corporation. It has a Board of Directors that consists of seven directors that are independent of Elexicon Corporation’s municipal shareholders and the majority of them are independent from Elexicon Corporation. Elexicon Group is the non-regulated business. It has a Board of Directors that consists of five directors that are independent of Elexicon Corporation’s municipal shareholders and the majority of them are independent from Elexicon Corporation.
To provide our customers with reliable, affordable energy services and to continuously improve to meet their needs, while ensuring the needs of our shareholders are met through sustainable growth.
To empower the communities, we serve and help customers seize opportunities to ignite a better future.
- Safety – We prioritize the safety of our team and customers, knowing this is the foundation of a healthy home and engaged workplace.
- Kinship – We seek every opportunity to forge personal connections with our customers and employees, because we know genuine relationships are lasting ones.
- Responsiveness – We know our customers rely on electricity to successfully navigate their day. As a result, we go above and beyond to meet their needs by proactively addressing their questions and concerns, and continuously improving our services.
- Competence – We understand that our customers’ trust is built upon our knowledge, solutions, and ability to make – and keep – our promises.
- Mindfulness – We are mindful of our impact on the environment and make every effort to ensure we cause no undue harm during the delivery of our services.
Job Title: General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
Reports to: President and Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Corporate Governance Administrator
Indirect Reports: –
Location: Ajax, Ontario
The General Counsel and Corporate Secretary plays a critical role in the effective development and execution of the organization’s strategy, providing guidance and direction across the entire organization and in particular to senior management and Board members.
As a member of the senior leadership team, this position will have the dual responsibility of bringing legal expertise to management decisions as well as working across functions with their colleagues to advance the strategies and mission of Elexicon.
Specifically, the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary will be accountable for the following key responsibilities:
General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
- Provide leadership in the overall implementation of the organization’s legal framework that is consistent with Elexicon Energy’s mission, vision and values.
- Contribute directly to the development of the corporate strategy through membership on the Executive Leadership Team.
- Provide thought leadership through maintaining awareness of emerging trends in legal, governance, safety and regulatory sectors and being engaged in key issues that might impact Elexicon.
- Lead all long-range legal matters and establish company-wide legal and administrative objectives to manage the policies, programs, and practices that will deliver them.
- Primary responsibility for managing the legal risks of the organization and will be responsible for developing tools and systems that provide critical legal and operating information to the Board, CEO and Management Team.
- Proactively represent Elexicon’s interests through participation in government, legal and other bodies capable of having a material impact on successful delivery of Elexicon’s mandate.
- Oversee the development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provide continuing counsel and guidance on the legal implications of all matters.
- Management of claims against Elexicon Energy Inc., and its affiliates.
- Secure appropriate insurance coverages and management of claims under insurance policies on behalf of Elexicon Energy Inc. and its affiliates.
- Directly manage a combination of resources including internal and external subject matter experts to achieve both compliance goals and strategic objectives of Elexicon while ensuring value added results.
- Advise company and senior management on a broad range of provincial regulatory compliance matters.
- In addition to the above the GC holds the role of Chief Ethics & Privacy Officer for the organization and is responsible to report to the CEO and Board on compliance to Elexicon’s code of conduct.
- This position will spearhead Elexicon’s Enterprise Risk Management program.
- Working knowledge of privacy law (provincial and municipal)
- Manage all board (Energy, Corp and Group) and committee meeting logistics facilitate board communications.
- Advise the Board on its roles and responsibilities;
- Facilitate the orientation of new Directors and assist in Director training and development;
- Maintain key corporate documents and records;
- Responsible for corporate disclosure and compliance with provincial and federal laws
- Monitor corporate governance developments and assist the Board in tailoring governance practices to meet the Board’s needs.
- Information / records management
- Ensure all boards are meeting their due diligence requirements in areas such as H&S, environment and licensing
Enterprise Risk Management
- In conjunction with the senior team and supported by external consultants, lead the development of the strategy and ERM framework for Elexicon Corporation and its affiliates
- Build and staff the ERM function based on strategy and framework
- Identify key stakeholders for ERM implementation
- Develop metrics for performance measurement
- Develop and implement board reports on key performance dimensions
- Access external resources as required to verify compliance and best practices
The GC will be a values-based leader who is able to make significant contribution to the Leadership Team through meaningful support, insight and counsel. He/she will be a results oriented and broad-based thinker who can collaborate effectively with other organizational leaders. Additionally, he/she will have demonstrated success working in a complex governance structure. Exceptional interpersonal skills are required to work effectively with a broad variety of stakeholders.
This opportunity will be of interest to an individual who is looking to be passionately involved in achieving an organization’s vision; has the ability to inspire and motivate teams to excel; values the significant contribution employees make to execute the Elexicon Energy vision and strategy.
The ideal candidate is an experienced legal counsel who has a strong aptitude for solving complex, strategic issues with demonstrated expertise appearing before quasi-judicial/judicial entities. In addition, the GC will have the capacity to participate as an active member of the senior leadership team and provide insights into business issues generally. Above all, the successful candidate will have the desire to bring this superior mix of skills to an organization dedicated to the safe distribution of energy.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
Integrity and Trust
- Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Relates well to all kinds of people – up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; is a good listener; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Is dedicated to addressing the expectations and requirements of internal and external stakeholders; is an early knower, getting informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it; gets first-hand stakeholder information and uses it for improvements in policies, approaches, products and services; acts with stakeholders in mind; builds effective relationships with stakeholders and gains and builds on their trust and respect.
- Can maneuver through complex political situations effectively and quietly; is sensitive to how the political landscape affects the workings of a safety authority; is sensitive to how people and organizations function; anticipates where the landmines are and plans his/her approach accordingly; views politics as a necessary part of organizational landscape and works to manage that reality; is a maze-bright person.
Dealing with Ambiguity
- Can act in ways that can initially seem contradictory (i.e. encouraging an effective regulator stance while promoting safety partnering to accomplish goals); is very flexible and adaptable when facing tough calls; can combine seeming opposites like being compassionately tough, stand up for self without trampling others. Sets strong but flexible standards; can act differently depending upon the situation; is seen as balanced despite the conflicting demands of the situation.
- Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills, knowledge, experience and attributes:
- Proven working experience with Boards of Directors.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in both private practice and within an organization public and / or private
- Working knowledge of a regulated sector within federal or provincial jurisdictions and general understanding of the legislative process including expertise appearing before quasi- judicial/judicial entities.
- Experience working with a federal or provincial regulator would be a definite asset.
- Significant practical experience at a senior level interpreting and applying statutory, contractual and other legal requirements.
- Experience in leading a corporate ERM function, directly or indirectly
- Considerable experience managing, supporting and directly leading a team.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and experience as part of a senior leadership team would be a significant asset.
- A law degree from an accredited law school.
- Membership in the Law Society of Ontario.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AKDY-702284 General Counsel and Corporate Secretary – Elexicon Energy Inc. - ON - Ajax (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.