Vice President, Fund Development – Junior Achievement of Northern Alberta & NWT
Junior Achievement (JA) started with a vision to help teach young people about business and free enterprise. That was back in 1919, before JA became a global leader in educating youth about financial literary, work readiness, and entrepreneurship. Now in over 121 countries, JA brings volunteers together with over 10.2 million of our future leaders. The organization believes in the boundless potential of young people and shares their passion for excellence, respects their talents and creativity, celebrates their honesty and integrity, and creates opportunities for hands-on learning.
The local charter, Junior Achievement Northern Alberta & NWT (JANA), was established in 1964. For over 50 years the organization has been working diligently to inspire young Canadians to achieve their highest potential as citizens of the global community.
Inspire and prepare young people to succeed in a global economy
JA will be the partner of choice for businesses, educators, and policy-makers around the globe seeking to expand workforce and economic development. We will be revered for providing experiences that promote the skills, understanding, and perspectives students will need to succeed in a global economy and become productive, contributing members of society.
- Belief in the boundless potential of young people.
- Commitment to the principles of market-based economics and entrepreneurship.
- Passion for what we do and honesty, integrity, and excellence in how we do it.
- Respect for the talents, creativity, perspectives, and backgrounds of all individuals.
- Conviction in the educational and motivational impact of relevant, hands-on learning.
- Belief in the power of partnership and collaboration.
Job Title: Vice President, Fund Development
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: 1 – Coordinator
Indirect Reports: Fund Development Committee
Location: Edmonton, AB
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Develop strategies to solicit and secure future major gifts, including customized proposal writing, presentations and direct involvement in major gift solicitations;
- Build and increase support for JANA through active participation in identifying, cultivating and stewarding relationships and connections that lead to major gifts;
- Identify opportunities to JANA to expand their philanthropic portfolio through developing alternative giving stream (i.e. annual giving, planned giving etc.); and
- Connect and understand the interests of prospects and donors and creatively communicate the objectives of the organization both face-to-face and in writing.
- Interpret the concerns and interests of potential donors or stakeholders and translate them into attractive opportunities for investment in JANA;
- Communicate JANA’s objectives in a persuasive and stimulating manner with all stakeholders;
- Cultivate and maintain strategic partnerships for the organization; and
- Build strong relationships with donors and laureates to be able to effectively communicate their needs and interest back to JANA.
- Act as a leader internally for JANA and externally in the community;
- Collaborate with staff and demonstrate ability to work at all levels;
- Demonstrate the ability to exercise discretion and good judgment in representing JANA; and
- Display an extraordinary commitment to confidentiality and professionalism.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Firmly establish her or himself as a trusted advisor to the organization, the internal team, and to donors/laureates;
- Enhance existing relationships as well as develop and foster new relationships with donors and key stakeholders;
- Develop a comprehensive fundraising strategy to support the organization in achieving long term financial sustainability;
- Secure new donations to support the current budget;
- Lead a laureate/Board of Governors campaign to re-engage this stakeholder group;
- Create and manage the operation of JANA’s pipeline management system including reporting (metrics) and defined outcomes including the achievement of solicitation and revenue targets; and
- Actively participate in securing major gifts.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree; and
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation would be considered an asset.
- Minimum 5 years’ successful experience in fund development;
- Prior exposure to sourcing and writing government grants;
- Demonstrated track record of fundraising, including independently securing major gifts;
- Knowledgeable of best practices and performance metrics related to the entire giving cycle from prospect research through to stewardship; and
- Sound computer skills including word processing and database management.
Competencies and Attributes
- Outstanding verbal communication and presentation skills;
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission, vision and values of JANA;
- Ability to articulate and translate the importance of the JANA mission and values into fundraising success;
- Ability to think strategically and work independently to drive new initiatives or enhance existing programs;
- Ability to build new and long-term relationships with prospects, donors, and sponsors;
- High level of poise, tact and judgement;
- Self-directed, with excellent organizational, problem-solving and time-management skills;
- Strong collaboration/negotiation skills, ability to bring people to joint decisions in an effective manner;
- Articulate and persuasive;
- Understanding of fundraising measurement, metrics, and evaluation;
- Superior understanding of charitable fundraising laws and requirements;
- A hands-on professional who leads by example, is respectful and inspires others to do and be their best to achieve results; and
- Willingness to take ownership of challenges and work to develop solutions.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ADGQ-034650 Vice President, Fund Development – Junior Achievement of Northern Alberta & NWT - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.