Executive Vice-President & Chief People Officer – SaskCentral
SaskCentral is owned by Saskatchewan credit unions and is committed to help them meet their own targets for success through strategic leadership, liquidity management and a wide range of products and services. Through their work to help meet the financial services needs of Saskatchewan businesses, consumers and agriculture producers, credit unions have a significant impact on the provincial economy. They also help advance the well-being of their members through economic participation, and contribute to the community through donations, scholarships and other initiatives.
SaskCentral’s corporate governance is anchored in the co-operative principle of democratic member control. Dedicated to co-operative values, employees work to ensure SaskCentral has effective, ethical and transparent governance practices. SaskCentral has an eight-person board elected by Saskatchewan credit unions. The board is responsible for providing strategic oversight and overall governance to SaskCentral, monitoring progress toward business plan objectives and representing the interests of Saskatchewan’s credit unions based on size, geography and credit union membership.
SaskCentral aspires to a vision of “a nationally unified and internationally capable co-operative financial network”. SaskCentral’s purpose is to: “lead and support Tier II services and transformation necessary for vibrant and sustainable credit unions”. Supporting credit union success guides all of SaskCentral’s actions and decisions. SaskCentral has articulated key principles that guide management in developing and implementing strategies and actions to achieve SaskCentral’s goals and, ultimately, realize SaskCentral’s vision.
SaskCentral’s 2019-2021 goals include:
- Modernized statutory liquidity function with improved efficiency and effectiveness for credit unions
- Effective and efficient clearing and settlement for credit unions
- Strategic alignment of downstream investees to optimize capital and value of services
- National Tier II transformation
- Member engagement
- Value for member credit unions
SaskCentral has an important supporting role in helping credit unions continue to achieve success. Just as credit unions change to remain relevant to their members, SaskCentral changes to best serve their member credit unions. This dynamic environment provides SaskCentral employees with opportunities to learn and grow, and to develop new skills and competencies.
With a deep belief that people, and culture are key to success, SaskCentral provides its employees with the training, tools and resources to excel at what they do and strives to maintain a positive culture that positions SaskCentral to succeed through change. You can learn more about SaskCentral here: www.saskcentral.com
Job Title: Executive Vice-President (EVP) & Chief People Officer (CPO)
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Associate Vice-President National Consulting; Associate Vice- President Strategic Solutions; Associate Vice-President Strategic Initiatives & Member Relations; Executive Assistant
Indirect Reports: Approximately 27 indirect reports
Revenue Budget (2019): Approximately $7.6 million (CU Solutions)
Location: Regina, SK
A SaskCentral executive management team member, the EVP & CPO will contribute to the strategic vision and business plan for the organization. The EVP & CPO is accountable to formulate and represent the ‘strategic mind’ of SaskCentral to partners, suppliers, and other related entities whose role is to implement strategies in support of the strategic direction.
This executive provides strategic and operational leadership to CU Solutions, an integrated, multi-disciplinary business unit consisting of: National Consulting, Member Relations, Strategic Initiatives, and Strategic Solutions (i.e., Strategy, Project Management, Human Resources and Marketing & Communications).
As Chief People Officer, this executive is responsible to the CEO and the Board for the integrity and conduct of SaskCentral’s operations in respect of the people it employs both directly and indirectly.
- As a member of SaskCentral executive team, contribute to focused, open, transparent teaming and alignment to the achievement of the enterprise strategic and business plans.
- Provide strategic leadership to grow the National Consulting business, a business that is known for delivering value to a significant segment of credit unions. Adapt and innovate the portfolio of products and services as the needs of credit unions evolve.
- Ensure open and active engagement with Saskatchewan credit unions to build shared understanding of experiences as well as perspectives, and internalize this learning within SaskCentral board and management.
- Build national relationships representing SaskCentral’s interests while at the same time identifying business and industry trends and opportunities, which may be of value to SaskCentral.
- Liaise with the Canadian Credit Union Association (CCUA) to ensure delivery of effective government relations services focused on issues of importance to Saskatchewan credit unions. Provide briefings to the CEO and Board, as required, to support effective representation to government officials.
- Provide executive leadership to and implementation oversight of key SaskCentral management policy, programs and processes including: strategy and business planning; marketing and communications; and culture building, talent and human resource management. This accountability also includes credit union and/or co-operative system representation of SaskCentral as required.
Opportunities and Challenges
- Build greater demand for ‘fee-for-service’ consulting services among credit unions outside Saskatchewan.
- Contribute to effective executive management for SaskCentral as one of three executive leaders.
- Navigate the financial services landscape to identify credit union business challenges and seed the innovation and commercialization of products and services to meet their needs.
- Establish credibility within the credit union system by adding value and acting with integrity.
- Grow a relevant, value-adding National Consulting business that is integral to credit unions future success.
- Ready for a challenge? Motivated by purpose? Aligned to co-operative values? Then this is where you should be!
- Co-operative organization that ‘thinks like a start-up’, striving to build community – not just a company.
- Future-focused, network-based national organization that provides functional expertise to credit unions.
- SaskCentral is known as a top place to work in Canada.
- Gain experience working directly with Boards.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by:
- A new business model for National Consulting is taking shape, including an agile process to consider, incubate and execute services that are responsive to credit union needs; a few early wins.
- Energized, proactive leader who excites the team and credit unions about future possibilities.
- Recruitment and development of great team players that really helped to advance the consulting business.
- Relationships built: respect of Board; a valued member of the EMT, and evidence of meaningful relationships at provincial and national levels.
- SaskCentral culture continues to evolve and remains constructive, a great place to work, a change-ready, achievement-oriented, aligned and accountable organization.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A post-secondary degree is required. An MBA would be considered an asset.
- Relevant professional designation(s) that can add-value to the scope of this role would be considered an asset. This may include, but not be limited to, one or more of the following: CPA, CFA, PMP, CMC, ICD.D, Chartered Director, CPHR.
- Senior leader with strong management consulting experience; practice leadership an asset.
- Leader of leaders; executive presence, with depth of experience that adds value to Executive and Board discussions and decisions.
- Change leader, can steward change internally and externally within the credit union system.
- Evidence based decision-making, able to leverage credit union system data to identify trends, potential needs; connect SaskCentral capabilities to national credit union needs.
- Leader who has applied technology to improve and transform business; has experienced value of project management disciplines, and is an advocate of their adoption.
- Demonstrated experience in strategy formulation and execution.
- Financial institution experience and insight. Understand pressures, future challenges and opportunities.
- Demonstrated accountability for building, shaping and maintaining constructive cultures. Executive leadership of a human resource function an asset.
- Has initiated and established collaborative business partnerships to capture value for clients from partner capabilities.
Competencies and Attributes
- High integrity, accountable leader, open and transparent, authentic.
- Culture builder, constructive culture role model.
- Relationship builder – engaged across the system in Saskatchewan and increasingly across Canada.
- Assertive, comfortable in conflict conversations and situations. Able to lead resolution of disagreements and disputes in constructive manner.
- Trusted peer and colleague who values collaboration.
- Resilient, transparent, agile, intrepid.
- Politically savvy, practical, grounded world-view.
- Learner and transformative forward thinker.
- Able to build and lead highly effective teams.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A010086 (AUVT-837500) Executive Vice-President & Chief People Officer – SaskCentral - SK - Regina (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.