Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer – Stuart Olson Inc.
Stuart Olson Inc. (“Stuart Olson” or “The Company”) www.stuartolson.com is a $1 billion+ organization representing one of the largest and most respected construction services companies in Canada. The company is recognized for its unique approach to doing business as well as its understanding that a positive journey is the critical factor to achieving successful results. The organization’s over 2300 employees are motivated by the opportunity to make a difference.
Stuart Olson has been empowering Canadian business since 1911. Their rich history demonstrates their reach and diversity as an integrated, full service organization serving the construction and industrial markets. Throughout this time, they have contributed to Canada’s growth and maturity into a dynamic global economy. With clients in commercial and residential development, oil & gas, hospitality, mining, health care and education, to name just a few, the people of Stuart Olson have had a positive and lasting impact on businesses and communities across Canada.
Their future is focused on continued growth as they aspire to be the most recognized organization within its industry in Canada, while living the values of uncompromising commitment to HSE, people, excellence, team, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit. Stuart Olson is “people creating progress.”
Stuart Olson Inc. is listed on the TSX under the symbols SOX and SOX.DB.
For more information on Stuart Olson please visit their website at: www.stuartolson.com/
Direct Reports: 5 – Senior Director Finance, Senior Director IT, Director Supply Chain, Manager Shared Services, Manager Internal Audit
Indirect Reports: 3 – Vice President Finance Buildings, Vice President Finance Industrial, Vice President Finance Canem
Location: Calgary, AB
Based in Calgary, the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”) reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer of Stuart Olson Inc. The CFO is a key member of the Executive Management Team (EMT), key business partner to the CEO and has core responsibilities for all aspects of financial management of Stuart Olson. In addition, the CFO is responsible to lead the Information Technology, Shared Services, Investor Relations and Supply Chain functions.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Lead a corporate culture that encompasses the highest ethical standards that is aligned with Stuart Olson’s core values
- Establish effective and open working relationships with key internal stakeholder groups
- Demonstrate the code of conduct, core values and ethics which form the basis of how the organization operates
- Committed to the structured development and enhancement of leadership talent and the ongoing effectiveness of succession planning
Strategic Development/ Long Term Planning
- As a member of the executive team, responsible for establishing corporate strategy and yearly objectives, and executing on those objectives
- Assess the company’s performance against annual budgets and long-term strategic performance objectives, and report that assessment to the Board of Directors with recommendations
- Work with the Board and its various Committees to provide insight, analysis and recommendations around emerging issues, trends and changes in both the external environment as well as the business’s operating model
- Provide risk management leadership by reviewing systems, procedures, and significant transactions to evaluate and mitigate potential financial, legal and operating exposures
- Responsible for the identification, assessment and development of appropriate strategies for identified enterprise and general risks with respect to the financial position and strategy of Stuart Olson
- Support the development and execution of any divestiture, purchase or merger agreements
Capital Markets/Corporate Finance/Governance
- Work with and support the President & CEO to develop financing strategies to ensure that Stuart Olson is adequately capitalized and pro-actively make recommendations for any improvements, and lead all capital market financings
- Maintain relationships with the banking and investment community and current shareholder base, including attending and presenting at various industry and investment conferences in support of the President & CEO
- Ensure the corporate vision is clearly communicated to external parties – building/maintaining corporate credibility in the marketplace (with investors, lending institutions, industry, etc.)
- Work with and support the President & CEO to develop, manage and optimize relationships with providers of capital to facilitate effective future financings
- Overall responsibility for the maintenance of the equity capital of the company including shares, options and warrants
- Responsible for reviewing and approving all financial information included in the Board of Directors’ meeting materials
- Responsible for developing and communicating an effective and relevant financial information package and key performance indicators for the executive team and organization, to facilitate effective issue identification and decision making
- Responsible for ensuring the company’s compliance with all current corporate governance requirements and keeping the executive and Board apprised of changes and trends in corporate governance
- Responsible for the coordination and compilation of the annual operating and capital budgets to reflect the corporate strategy, objectives and priorities
- Ensure all corporate activities proceed according to authorized financial plans
- Ensure that the financial statements fairly present the financial position of the company and the results of its operations, and that the company is kept apprised of trends in corporate governance, and best accounting practices
- Oversee and ensure quality of all external disclosure of financial information (financial statements, investor presentations, etc.)
- Accountable for the development of, maintenance of, and adherence to treasury policies and procedures. This includes treasury management, cash flow forecasts and managing cash and investments to be in compliance with the company’s treasury policy
- Responsible for establishing a set of policies, procedures and internal controls that ensure the accuracy of information and safeguards the company’s assets. Also responsible for ensuring these controls, policies and procedures are being adhered to throughout the organization
- Accountable for monitoring and managing working capital requirements
- Responsible for setting the strategic direction and leading the information management and information technology function
Supply Chain and Asset Management
- Responsible for setting the strategic direction and leading the procurement and asset management function
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Solid educational background including a designated accounting or finance degree (CPA preferred)
- Seasoned financial executive with proven experience at the CFO level, combined with financial (debt and equity) experience and domestic capital markets knowledge and contacts
- Multi-disciplined professional with demonstrated financial, analytical, presentation, and communication skills
- Track record of success in a corporate environment, coupled with extensive experience dealing with the investment community, banks, shareholders, auditors, and Board of Directors
- Excellent business acumen, with a proven track record of participating in and bringing forward sound business opportunities resulting in the enhancement of the value of the company
- Sound experience in investor and external relations
Competencies and Attributes
- Balanced executive with sound, common-sense business judgment and strategic insight; able to add value as an executive
- A reputation of excellence, integrity, delivery, and follow through among senior leaders
- Strong communication and presentation skills with an ability to set the highest standards for honesty, integrity, and work ethic both for themselves and for those around them
- Proven ability to develop effective relationships with colleagues and team members
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AWGX-801726 Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer – Stuart Olson Inc. - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.