Executive Director – Sherwood Park District Soccer Association
The Sherwood Park District Soccer Association is a non-profit society, established in 1976, that serves to promote and encourage the game of soccer in Sherwood Park.
The Sherwood Park District Soccer Association is committed to providing its members the opportunity to participate in recreational and competitive soccer leagues by teaching and demonstrating soccer skills, sportsmanship, honesty, respect, and fair play. The SPDSA promotes the game of soccer in a safe environment where our members can not only excel in their soccer skills but may also learn the importance of physical fitness in their lives.
|· Identity & Culture|
· Women in Soccer
|Job Title:||Executive Director|
|Reports to:||Board of Directors|
|Direct Reports:||10 Direct Reports|
|Indirect Reports:||10 contract staff, various volunteer coaches|
|Location:||Sherwood Park, Alberta|
The Sherwood Park District Soccer Association (SPDSA) is seeking a visionary Executive Director to execute the mission to offer innovative lifelong soccer programming by building a culture of inclusivity, providing pathways to success, and nurturing a passion for “the beautiful game” in this generation, and the next.
This passionate person will lead a team of dedicated staff and volunteers on the journey to being recognized as a top soccer club in Canada. With extensive experience in executing a strategic plan, managing operations, budgeting, and working closely with a governance Board, this person will foster a strong sense of community and culture within the organization while providing visionary leadership focused on building and growing the membership and the prominence in the community.
The SPDSA is a not-for-profit district of Alberta Soccer and a Canada Soccer National Youth Club License holder.
Board Liaison & Governance
- Informs the Board on all Association matters to assist the Board in developing appropriate and well-informed overall policy direction;
- Ensures that the overall strategic plan established by the Board is communicated and implemented;
- Ensures that the Board is provided with well documented and researched reports with, where appropriate, alternative solutions, recommended courses of action and cost benefit analysis;
- Ensures that the Board is provided with ongoing financial reports which provide an overview of the budgets and reasons for any significant variance;
- Ensures that the Board is provided with ongoing management reports that keep the Board informed of major activities of the Association;
- Works closely with the Board President in establishing and reviewing agenda items, following through on decisions made by the Board, informing of any potential sensitive issues and maintaining ongoing open dialogue;
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate short and long term strategic and operational planning;
- Ensures compliance with the Board Governance manual; and
- Attend Board meetings as required and advise the Board on matters related to Governance, including compliance with the Board’s Governance Policy Manual.
- Ensures and sustains productive workplace practices such as minimal bureaucracy, open sharing and dissemination of information to staff, a focus on customer service, productivity and cost effectiveness and an organizational structure that supports and reflects such practices;
- Ensures a focus on and a measurement of successful outcomes;
- Ensures that all policy bylaws and Rules & Regulations requirements are adhered to;
- Facilitates coordination of building management services;
- Communications optimization to include telephone and cell phone contracts, contract development/negotiation;
- Attends CSA, ASA, EIYSA, EMSA, EDSA, AYSL and others as required, scheduled AGM /Special Meetings as required;
- Collaboratively with SPDSA team, provide and assure a calendar year timeline of activities are indicated;
- Responsible for conducting business in accordance with the SPDSA strategic plan; and
- Filing of all forms and reports related to NFP status.
- Responsible for the finances of the Association and for conserving the resources of the Association;
- Implements and/or maintain the bookkeeping system and accounting processes required to provide a detailed set of records of income and expenditure of the SPDSA;
- Be responsible for all day-to-day bookkeeping and handling of accounts payable and accounts receivable issues;
- Responsible for all funds, securities, financial records and tax documents of the SPDSA;
- Establishes an annual operating budget and submit to Board of Directors for approval prior to the start of the fiscal year;
- Provides the Board with monthly and year-end financial statements;
- Submits an Annual Report of Finances to the Board of Directors for presentation at the Annual General Meeting;
- Files all financial reports to the appropriate Agency in a timely manner, including, CSA, Alberta Registries, Receiver General to yearly income tax returns;
- Ensures compliance to general accounting practices for non-profit organizations; and
- Issuance and management of payroll requirements (ROEs, T4s), in close collaboration with the Internal Finance Committee.
Community Development – Marketing & Communications
- Ensures the accuracy and completeness of information on website, and in all internal and external communication;
- Provides ongoing leadership in promoting the Association at every opportunity, ensuring members and external stakeholders are provided excellent information, assistance and service;
- Maintains productive public relations at all times; regularly attends events, visits stakeholders and represents the SPDSA at various official functions, committees, associations, educational institutions, government, etc;
- Positive contributing member to the larger communities that the SPDSA serves;
- Excellent Ambassador for the Association; and
- Actively engage the membership in new, innovative and inclusive ways.
- Responsible for the overall leadership and performance of Association employees;
- Leads and facilitates the team; responsible for their productivity and cooperation and the full participation of all areas of the organization;
- Creates a culture of trust and accountability;
- Ensures performance reviews and analysis;
- Ensures ongoing coaching and mentoring of staff; including staff development, cross-training and succession planning;
- Ensures compliance with all relevant legislation; and
- Fosters and maintains an open and respectful culture aligned with the values of the Association.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Move the strategic vision of the Board forward;
- Build the SPDSA sense of community amongst staff, Board, coaches, and volunteers;
- Increase membership engagement through an improved communication strategy;
- Ensure the new facility is operating at a peak level with effective branding and signage throughout; and
- Ensure staff and volunteers are empowered and supported in their decision making.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education in a related field is required;
- Business and/or sport and recreation related education is considered an asset.
- 5+ years’ experience in a leadership role in business and/or the non-profit sector;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage annual budgets;
- Excellent knowledge of and familiarity with management and business best practices;
- Experience working with a volunteer Board of Directors;
- Previous experience with strategic planning, Board governance, managing growth and leading a large, diverse team;
- Pervious experience building a strong culture of community with people from a variety of backgrounds;
- Previous work experience in a sporting environment is critical;
- Facility management experience, an asset; and
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office.
Competencies and Attributes
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with members, the public, volunteers, partners, stakeholders, staff, and the Board under all types of conditions; always maintains a positive and supportive approach;
- Able to foster, sustain, and role model productive management practices and a positive team environment; shares expertise and knowledge to support, coach and develop other staff;
- An innovative thinker who can also operationalize the strategic vision; someone who sees potential opportunity and has the acumen to execute on it;
- Exhibits a high degree of personal initiative with excellent planning and organizational skills covering a wide variety of functions;
- Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the Association, and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness; and
- Focuses on continued self-improvement, knowledge, and education in all aspects of general management, organizational development, and human resources management.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
An RCMP criminal record check will be required for the successful candidate.
SPDSA is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and enriches our work and is essential to operational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Optimum Talent and SPDSA throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AKJU-583382 Executive Director – Sherwood Park District Soccer Association - AB - Edmonton and AreaAB - Sherwood Park (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.