Executive Director – Friends of Canadian Broadcasting
Founded as Friends of Public Broadcasting in 1985 after a brutal cut to the CBC’s parliamentary
appropriation, FRIENDS of Canadian Broadcasting was incorporated in 1987 in recognition that all
domestic broadcasters must contribute to the showcasing of Canada on the air. Over the years
through a deliberate program of recruiting through available channels, tens of thousands of
mostly English-speaking Canadians who love the CBC and understand its importance to
Canada’s cultural sovereignty signed up. FRIENDS was and continues to be a grassroots
organization first that is fiercely independent and not affiliated with any broadcaster, corporation
or political party. Today, through their financial contributions and action, 364,000 Canadians
support FRIENDS’ advocacy, research and public policy work to defend and demonstrate the
importance of Canada’s national public broadcaster and Canadian content on air and online.
FRIENDS has enjoyed organic growth of its supporter base among French-speaking Canadians
and has ambitions to pursue this growth as a strategic priority.
FRIENDS is currently managing a new stage in its evolution that is driven by digital disruption of
traditional media around the world and here at home.
FRIENDS is seeking an individual to fill the role of Executive Director.
FRIENDS’ new leader will oversee all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the organization in
order to strategically defend and promote Canada’s cultural sovereignty on air and online and
other policy priorities the Board of Directors may set from time to time. The Executive Director will
run the organization including developing and implementing fundraising campaigns and
strategies and will act as the Spokesperson.
To be precise, the Executive Director will:
- Act as the Spokesperson for FRIENDS.
- Develop a multi-year strategy, identify opportunities, set direction, and set policy priorities in
collaboration with the Board.
- Develop and implement an annual plan that will advance the strategy.
- Develop relationships with key players in the media industry, especially the CBC/Radio Canada.
- Monitor the regulatory environment and intervene on FRIENDS’ behalf as opportunities arise.
- Build the Les AMIS brand and recruit new Francophone supporters in Quebec and throughout
- Attentively lead young team that requires clear guidance as to FRIENDS’ policy priorities and
supporter sensitivities. The team works in an informal and dispersed environment which must be
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that ensures the financial stability
and sustainability of FRIENDS.
- Develop and implement creative and effective research and advocacy programs that
advance FRIENDS’ mandate and mission, targeting supporters, new recruits, media, and
- Oversee the annual budget and donations.
- Build relationships with journalists, creators, influencers, MPs and political staff to achieve policy priorities.
- On an annual basis, establish a set of deliverables to be approved by the Board and to be used as the basis for an annual performance review with representatives of the Board.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
This position is an exciting opportunity for an Executive principal demonstrated experience in successfully leading projects for public interest and launching fundraising initiatives to raise brand awareness and drive yearly revenue growth. The new Executive Director will be a proven strategic communicator and a forward-thinking strategist, always searching for creative ways to advance FRIENDS’ mandate and mission. FRIENDS is looking for an ambitious innovator and visionary thinker in the relentless pursuit of carving out space for Canada on airwaves, screens and platforms with the goal of forwarding and protecting Canadian culture and identity.
- A University degree in a relevant field.
- Personal appreciation for the importance of Canadian media, especially the CBC. Familiarity with CBC programming, especially English radio, is an asset.
- A solid track record of experience in a senior management position. Proven experience working effectively and harmoniously with a Board of Directors.
- Extensive knowledge in research (policy, regulatory and public opinion), advocacy, media relations, volunteer mobilization, fundraising, partnership development, financial management, and internal software development.
- Proven record for developing beneficial partnerships.
- Experience and familiarity with all forms of fundraising.
- Experience as a spokesperson with excellent communication skills and fluency in public relations activities.
- Strong and persuasive writing skills and oral advocacy skills.
- Ability to articulate a position clearly and succinctly.
- Functional bilingualism in English and French.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A023455 (ATAY-710736) Executive Director – Friends of Canadian Broadcasting - (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.