Executive Director – Compassion House
Compassion House Foundation was established in 1998 to build a facility to support Northern Albertan women with cancer during treatment and the early stages of recovery.
The house is named Sorrentino’s Compassion House in recognition of the capital campaign support of the Sorrentino’s Restaurant Group and the Saccomanno and Rago families.
The original house opened in 2002 and offered six guest suites and common areas with all the amenities for women traveling to Edmonton for treatment. Since then, hundreds of women from more than 250 communities have found a haven at Sorrentino’s Compassion House.
The overwhelming demand for the services of Sorrentino’s Compassion soon outgrew their capacity. A new capital campaign, Growing Compassion, was launched in 2010, and individuals, groups and companies from across Alberta and Northwest Territories pledged to support the expansion. An amazing $5 million was raised to complete the project.
In 2012 construction began to increase capacity to 14 suites, expand the kitchen, renovate common areas and install an elevator. On September 9, 2013 the beautifully redesigned Sorrentino’s Compassion House reopened to guests.
At Sorrentino’s Compassion House we have a vision to create a sanctuary of healing support. We make it our mission to support women fighting cancer by providing safe, comfortable and affordable accommodations during their cancer journey.
Mission: Compassion House Foundation supports women who must leave their homes for cancer care.
Vision: Compassion House Foundation strives to ease the distress of the cancer journey for women.
Values: Compassion, Community, Respect, Sustainability, Understanding, Excellence
For further information, please visit their website at www.compassionhouse.org
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: 10+
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Reporting to the Board of Directors and further advising the Board on strategy, risk and policy, the CEO will provide leadership and vision in setting the mission, principles and values of the Compassion House Foundation (CHF) in the best interests of the community, its members and other stakeholders. The Chief Executive Officer will be a visible leader across the region it serves and act as the external facing representative of CHF and its mandate.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Maintain open, transparent communication with the Board;
- Attend Board meetings as Corporate Secretary and act as an advisor to the Board on all aspects of the organization’s activities;
- Ensure appropriate policies and procedures of the CHF are developed, maintained and disclosed;
- Support and enable the effectiveness of the Board by actioning directives/decisions made at the Board level;
- Report regularly to the Board on strategic plan execution, financial performance and risk management;
- Ensure that effective and appropriate feedback mechanisms are in place with regards to CEO performance;
- Carry out any other appropriate duties and responsibilities assigned or delegated by the Board or Committees; and
- Serve as Ex-officio non-voting member of any committee as required of the Board of Directors.
- Ensure the development of a strategic plan for the CHF together with the Board; and
- Ensure the implementation of the strategic plan and report on progress to the Board as needed.
- Appoint, mentor, and appraise the performance of the team including promoting a culture of growth and succession;
- Provide leadership through building and motivating a team that is committed to the vision of CHF;
- Maintain positive employee morale and enhance a culture that supports CHF’s strategic objectives; and
- Promote a culture of integrity and foster ethical and responsible decision making throughout the CHF, as well as ensuring compliance with CHF policies and code of conduct.
Operational & Fiscal Leadership
- Provide general leadership and management to the day to day affairs of the Foundation;
- Ensure proper systems are in place to identify and manage risk;
- Develop an annual operating plan and budget that supports the strategic plan and subsequent implementation of the operating plan;
- Demonstrate sound fiscal management and monitor the annual budget and cash flow while continuing to work closely with partners, stakeholders and donors to ensure stability and security of funding; and
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting, including statements that meet external audit requirements.
- Oversee the development of fundraising strategies in collaboration with the Board, team and fund development staff; and
- Support the Board and enable them to fulfill their role as ambassadors for CHF.
- Working with the Chair, serve as the external spokesperson and principal liaison for the CHF, including effectively managing relations with all key stakeholders; and
- Develop a communications policy, that communicates CHF’s mission, vision, principles, values, strategic plan and business plan to all relevant stakeholders, both internally and externally.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a detailed operational plan, and a related budget to support that plan;
- Develop and lead strong, positive relationships with key stakeholders including staff and administration, Board, funders and community partners by opening and expanding the lines of communication;
- Continue to lead and build CHF’s profile and awareness in the community in order to increase engagement and funding potential; and
- Demonstrate success in moving the strategic plan’s priorities and projects forward.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Undergraduate degree, with a preference for a Social or Human Services related field; and
- MBA or other graduate degree welcomed.
- Ten years’ related work experience at a senior leadership level;
- Track record of success within a complex, multi-stakeholder environment;
- Proven experience building successful relationships with community leaders in government, industry, and not for profit sectors;
- Experience reporting to and working with a board of directors; and
- Demonstrated experience leading an organization with a philanthropic mandate.
Competencies and Attributes
- Builds committed and collaborative teams through trust;
- Communicates appropriately with diverse audiences and stakeholder groups;
- Open and honest in dealing with others;
- Candid, sincere and possesses great integrity;
- Sees potential future state and takes the “big picture” issues into account;
- Can balance operations and strategy to ensure results are achieved;
- Provides others with the opportunity and support to develop their skills and capabilities;
- Manages talent effectively to achieve results;
- Models positive behaviors and leads by example;
- Focuses on and anticipates community needs;
- Learns from and is respectful of others;
- Understands and utilizes the power of developing and maintaining a network of relationships to achieve goals;
- Contributes and shares information for mutual, longer term gain;
- Builds strong partnerships internally and externally; and
- Engages positively with others, being open to others’ views and opinions.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AMTK-505230 Executive Director – Compassion House - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.