Executive Director – Boyle McCauley Health Centre
The Boyle McCauley Health Centre (BMHC) follows the Community Health Centre model, meaning it is community owned, operated and governed. The BMHC provides crucial primary health care services to those who face multiple barriers to accessing health services, including but not limited to poverty, substance use disorders, homelessness and mental illness. BMHC prioritizes access to care by utilizing its main central-Edmonton clinic as well as nine different satellite sites, and a mobile health van. Valued relationships with numerous community partners further enhance BMHC’s capacity to respond to the complexity and diversity of the needs of those it serves.
The Mission, Vision and Values of the BMHC drive the manner in which they conduct themselves, day to day, and from client to client.
Mission – Through primary care and health promotion, the BMHC improves the quality of life and well-being of populations and individuals who face multiple barriers to accessing health services. The BMHC achieves this by providing the highest standard of evidence-informed and client focused inter-professional care. We collaborate with our clients to address the broad determinants of health.
Vision – All people have access to quality, responsive, and compassionate health care. BMHC’s team of physicians, dentists, nurse practitioners, licensed practical nurses, health advocates, outreach workers and other community specialists work together in teams to coordinate care. We’ve tasked ourselves to address the complex needs of clients, help improve health outcomes and quality of life.
Values – The operation of the BMHC reflects professionalism, accountability, and service excellence. In collaboration with our community and agency partners, and with a commitment to equitable access and innovation, we increase the well-being of those facing multiple barriers to health care.
For more information on the Boyle McCauley Health Centre, please visit www.bmhc.net
Job Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The Executive Director is a well-established, unique and recognized position within the greater Edmonton area, Alberta and Canada for its leadership in Community Health Centre models of service and the delivery of primary health care. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will provide leadership and vision to over 100 staff in setting the strategic direction and operations for the Boyle McCauley Health Centre. The successful incumbent will demonstrate and uphold a “patient centric” model throughout the BMHC to ensure the city’s most vulnerable citizens receive the compassionate care they deserve via a standard of high quality and effective care. This includes providing full access to equitable health, behavioral, and social services while embracing the diversity of the community it serves.
The ED will continue to promote a truly egalitarian culture, where everyone contributes for the greater good, and where no one profession outranks another. The ED will utilize exceptional relationship management skills to ensure the connectivity of the BMHC long term with local health care professionals, community partners and government/funding agencies to enhance and heighten the provision of care within the BMHC ecosystem.
- Together with the Board, ensure the development and implementation of the strategic plan for the BMHC;
- Cascade the strategic priorities within the strategic plan through to the frontline operations of the BMHC; and
- In order to meet the changing needs of the health care landscape, lead with a lens of innovation and promote the sharing of ideas to bring opportunity for transformation and elevation of the BMHC.
- Appoint, mentor, and appraise the performance of the team including promoting a culture of growth and succession;
- Provide leadership through building and motivating a team that is committed to the mission and vision of BMHC;
- Continue to maintain exceptional employee engagement & morale, and enhance the positive culture that supports BMHC’s strategic objectives; and
- Promote a culture of integrity and foster ethical and responsible decision making throughout the BMHC, as well as ensuring compliance with BMHC policies and code of conduct.
- Maintain open, transparent communication with the Board;
- Attend Board meetings and act as an advisor to the Board on all aspects of the organization’s activities;
- Ensure appropriate policies and procedures of the BMHC are developed, maintained and disclosed;
- Support and enable the effectiveness of the Board by actioning directives/decisions made at the Board level;
- Report regularly to the Board on strategic plan execution, financial performance and risk management;
- Ensure that effective and appropriate feedback mechanisms are in place with regards to Executive Director performance; and
- Carry out any other appropriate duties and responsibilities assigned or delegated by the Board.
Operational & Fiscal Leadership
- Provide general leadership and management of the day to day affairs of the BMHC;
- Ensure proper systems are in place to identify and manage risk;
- Develop an annual operating plan and budget that supports the strategic plan and subsequent implementation of the operating plan;
- Demonstrate sound fiscal management and monitor the annual budget and cash flow while continuing to work closely with partners, stakeholders and donors to ensure stability and security of funding; and
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting, including statements that meet external audit requirements.
- Oversee the development of fundraising strategies in collaboration with the Board, team and staff; and
- Support the Board and enable them to fulfill their role as ambassadors for BMHC.
External Relationships & Communications
- A leader who thrives in building trusted relationships both internally and externally;
- Demonstrates engagement outside of the Centre, participating with community organizations, government health agencies, other not-for-profit organizations serving Edmonton’s inner city, and those that support the primary health care and housing needs of the BMHC patient population;
- Serve as the external spokesperson and principal liaison for the BMHC, including effectively managing communications with all key stakeholders; and
- Develop a communications policy that communicates BMHC’s mission, vision, principles, values, strategic plan and business plan to all relevant stakeholders, both internally and externally.
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES
- The BMHC is a benchmark facility for the province of Alberta relative to primary health care. The professional, patient centric model allows over 3,500 individuals to receive care from an interdisciplinary team of dedicated professionals including Doctors, Nurses, Social Workers, Medical Office Assistants, Health Advocates and Outreach Workers. The focus on patient, rather than the usual hierarchy of health professionals, is integral in the BMHC’s success in providing care to those who may not otherwise receive adequate treatment;
- Uplift the BMHC brand in the market and create additional awareness around the impact the organization has for those it serves; and
- Engage with leaders of similar centres across Alberta to encourage program idea sharing and collaboration.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Utilize strong financial acumen to align the operational plans to the overall vision of the strategic plan;
- Develop and lead strong, positive relationships with key stakeholders including staff and administration, Board, funders and community partners by opening and expanding the lines of communication;
- Continue to build and enhance BMHC’s profile and awareness in the community in order to identify new opportunities, partnerships, and funding potential;
- Initiate the development and implementation of BMHC’s Communications and Marketing Plan; and
- Identify and implement qualitative and quantitative process improvements while maintaining the existing culture, loyalty and drive of the people who serve the BMHC.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in a field related to Health, Social Sciences or Business; and
- A master’s degree would be considered an asset.
- Ten years’ related work experience at a senior leadership level;
- Five years’ proven success leading within a complex, multi-stakeholder environment;
- Proven experience building successful relationships with community leaders in government, industry, and not for profit sectors;
- Experience reporting to and working with a board of directors; and
- Demonstrated experience leading an organization with a philanthropic mandate.
Competencies and Attributes
- Leads with a patient centric approach;
- Builds committed and collaborative teams through trust;
- Communicates appropriately with diverse audiences and stakeholder groups;
- Open and honest in dealing with others;
- Candid, sincere and possesses great integrity;
- Sees potential future state and takes the “big picture” issues into account;
- Can balance operations and strategy to ensure results are achieved;
- Provides others with the opportunity and support to develop their skills and capabilities;
- Manages talent effectively to achieve results;
- Models positive behaviors and leads by example;
- Focuses on and anticipates community needs;
- Learns from and is respectful of others;
- Understands and utilizes the power of developing and maintaining a network of relationships to achieve goals;
- Contributes and shares information for mutual, longer term gain;
- Builds strong partnerships internally and externally; and
- Has the ability to quickly shift priorities in an ever changing, sometimes chaotic, highly energized environment.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AQJK-238863 Executive Director – Boyle McCauley Health Centre - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.