Executive Director | Alberta Diabetes Foundation
The Alberta Diabetes Foundation (ADF) is committed to a world without diabetes and contributes to that vision by rapidly and strategically funding cutting-edge diabetes research in Alberta. The Board of Directors has undertaken a strategic reset and are seeking a Foundation Director to provide leadership and direction to operationalize strategic priorities focused on the vision. Alberta Diabetes Foundation upholds the strategic pillars of funding impactful research, generating sustainable funding for these initiatives, and demonstrating organizational success.
- Innovative Leadership
- Passion and caring
For further information about Alberta Diabetes Foundation, please visit their website at https://www.albertadiabetesfoundation.com/
|Reports to:||Board of Directors|
|Direct Reports:|| Fund Development Manager; Finance and Administration Manager|
|Indirect Reports:|| Fund Development Coordinator; Communications Coordinator|
|Location:||Alberta – candidate may reside anywhere in the province|
The Alberta Diabetes Foundation is seeking an Executive Director to demonstrate strategic leadership, direction, and execution of the Foundation’s planned priorities. The Executive Director acts as a leader of the Foundation’s staff and will play a central part in attracting investors and monitoring performance of investment in diabetes research. The Executive Director will provide organizational and financial oversight of the Foundation through the monitoring, reporting, and management of employee performance and fiscal status. Working alongside the Board, the Executive Director will also provide guidance and recommendations on the Foundation’s vision, as well as execute the Foundation’s strategic plan. Finally, the Executive Director will develop sophisticated partnerships with community stakeholders and major donors to acquire gifts and funding that will be allocated towards exemplary diabetes research.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Drive the financial results of the ADF, ensuring financial goals are being met through a successful and comprehensive fund development program
- Build support for ADF through active participation in identifying, cultivating, and stewarding relationships and connections that lead to major, and/or planned gifts
- Develop strategies to solicit and secure future major gifts, including prospect research, customized proposal writing, presentations, and “making the ask”
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the Foundation
- Build strong rapport with existing donors and ensure that gifts are stewarded appropriately
- Proactively build relationships with potential partners to further develop funding and support innovations in research
- Engage with the research community to better connect donors with investment opportunities that align with their passions
- Develop strong relationships within the Foundation stakeholder community including the Board, donors, corporate sponsors, researchers, investment professionals, and the community at large
- Develop a comprehensive financial strategy that ensures long-term organizational growth and sustainability and work alongside the appropriate teams to prepare and maintain a comprehensive budget
- Ensure that the appropriate structures and teams are in place, so internal operations run smoothly and efficiently and that donor dollars are put to best use
- Oversee the successful delivery of established events focused on fundraising
- Provide leadership and mentorship to direct reports through the establishment, implementation, and monitoring of goals and metrics
- Build and motivate a team of leaders who are committed to the vision of the Foundation, and who feel empowered to think and work strategically in support of the mission
- Illuminate a path to success for team members by establishing core competencies, key performance indicators, and personal development goals
- Continue to build a culture of excellence by exemplifying performance accountability as well as continually developing individual and team talent through coaching
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trust and rapport with all key stakeholders
- Develop a plan to strategically move the organization from primarily events-based to relationship/1:1 fundraising with identification of key milestones
- Establish a comprehensive fund development strategy that will include major gifts, planned giving, and corporate giving that will raise over a million dollars annually to fund emerging research and current pledges. Develop a plan to grow this amount substantially over time.
- Establish a strong, sustainable leadership team that is focused on raising funds for research with the ultimate goal of an Alberta-based cure for diabetes
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant area of study is highly welcomed and considered a strong asset
- A combination of education and work experience will be considered
- A minimum of seven years’ experience in strategic partnerships, business development or investor relationships
- Previous background in foundation management, health and sciences, private wealth management, or financial planning
- Demonstrated success in the areas of change management and stakeholder relations
- Proven track record of relationship management, including the successful navigation and catalyzation of partnerships with academic institutions, corporate stakeholders, and major gift donors
- Experience successfully stewarding and securing five-figure gifts
- Experience with capital campaigns involving multiple partners and stakeholders an asset
Competencies and Attributes:
- Entrepreneurial: Capacity to seek and secure new business/financial opportunities. Willing to take a risk to achieve a reward.
- Innovation: Embraces new ideas and ways of solving problems. Understands that innovation must allow room for failure. Takes calculated risks with the goal of making improvements.
- Calm/Reassuring: Takes a measured and thoughtful approach to crisis. Well-balanced emotionally and aware of impact on others.
- Confident: Expresses views with confidence and conviction while showing respect to others’ views. Can provide “frank and fearless” advice.
- Clear Communicator: Communicates appropriately with diverse audiences and stakeholder groups. Understands situations and communicates with the appropriate frequency and level of transparency.
- Approachable: Engages positively with others and is open to others’ views and feelings.
- Trustworthy: Open and honest in dealing with others. Candid, sincere and ethical. Guided by a strong moral compass.
- Proactive: Catalyst for action and change. Has a bias for action.
- Organized: Maintains an orderly approach to work and problem solving. Does not leave loose ends.
- Resourceful: Able to do more with less. Clever in finding and utilizing alternative methods or tools to get to a successful outcome.
- Self-Starter: Internally motivated to be successful. Makes things happen. Initiates change and improvement.
Alberta Diabetes Foundation is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and enriches their work and is essential to operational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and Alberta Diabetes Foundation throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
A competitive compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AXEQ-338423 Executive Director | Alberta Diabetes Foundation - AB (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.