Divisional Controller – Millar Western Forest Products Ltd.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Millar Western Forest Products has grown and outperformed its competitors by investing in strong assets, including healthy forests, advanced technology and talented people. A partnership between Atlas Holdings LLC and Millar Western Industries Ltd., Millar Western is an innovative, profitable manufacturer of forest products, producing high-quality lumber and pulp from sustainably managed forests for markets around the world. With the acquisition of Spruceland Millworks in late 2017, the company has now broadened its platform with the addition of this value-added, re-manufacturing facility. The company’s head office is located in Edmonton, and it operates four high-performance mills in Acheson, Whitecourt (2), and Fox Creek, Alberta.
- In business since 1906, with an excellent reputation among employees, communities, industry peers and investment markets
- Strong management team; highly competitive financial performance
- Privately held, with the private investment firm Atlas Holdings LLC being majority shareholder, while the Millar family maintains a strong equity position through Millar Western Industries Ltd.
- Rich history includes pioneering community building and investment, early adoption of sustainable forestry and environmental certifications, development of new grades and markets for pulp, advancements including zero-effluent pulping processes and innovative waste-to-energy technology
Millar Western takes care of its people, communities and environment. Employees take ownership of their work and their ideas are highly valued. It’s an organization people are proud to work for.
- Company invests and manages for the long-term
- Decision-making based on corporate values: safety, honesty, integrity, trust and respect
- Strong commitment to well-being of employees and their families, reflected in safety performance and industry-leading benefits
- Sustainable operations based on responsible stewardship of renewable resource
- Named to Alberta Venture’s top 25 Alberta Innovators list
- Respectful, collaborative work environment
Job Title: Divisional Controller – Wood Products
Reports to: Director of Finance and Administration
Direct Reports: 3 Accountants
Indirect Reports: 3 Administrators
Location: Whitecourt, Alberta
Millar Western is seeking an energetic team member who will contribute financial and business expertise while helping shape the company’s goals and direction. Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, the Divisional Controller will be a key part of the management team and involved in defining and implementing the financial information needed to advance the Company. The position will oversee the day to day financial requirements of the division, develop the financial tool sets in place to provide effective analytical tools, and develop the financial team to be a core part of the operations. The position will work closely with the divisional manager on analytics used for optimization opportunities within the business unit.
- An integral part of the team, the Divisional Controller will help support decision-making on value creation and investment opportunities
- Develop the first-class financial tools of the business to enhance information needed to run the business more effectively
- Streamline processes to minimize time spent on historical cost reporting
- Develop the financial team to provide better analytics for the operations on historical costs and trend analysis
- Professional development opportunities
- Career advancement paths – senior financial, operations and other management tracks
- Excellent work/life balance with a preferred employer
The Divisional Controller responsibilities includes ensuring the financial reporting from the operations is timely and accurate, the financial tools are optimized to meet the needs of the business, the appropriate controls and processes are in place and being followed, and the financial team and yourself are integrated fully into the operations team as partners. The Divisional Controller plays a key role in:
- Business understanding and optimization
- Key part of the business unit leadership teams, operations and key performance metrics to support the business
- Ensure the operations management have financial analysis and trending information to allow them to optimize their operations
- Leader of financial people
- Develop the financial team to be a key part of their respective management areas
- Transform the financial team to understand their respective business units and provide the appropriate financial data needed to optimize the business
- Enhance the team environment between operations and finance at the divisions.
- Reporting and Budgeting
- Oversee the monthly business reporting, financial forecasting and variance analysis
- Participate and ensure the business unit budgets are developed accurately and timely to meet the needs of the operation
- Liaise closely with members of the corporate finance team to ensure understanding and accuracy of organizational results
- Monthly reporting
- Ensure monthly reporting is accurate and timely
- Steam line systems and processes to minimize the time to close off monthly statements.
You are an experienced accountant with demonstrated operational experience, and with experience in optimizing financial tools to meet the needs of the business. You have a solid reputation of working collaboratively in a team environment and developing your team to their capacity. You have earned a reputation for your business acumen and natural leadership skills, you also demonstrate a strong affinity towards Millar Western’s corporate values of safety, integrity, honesty, trust and respect. You will be an energetic, inclusive and principled member of this collegial organization. Working collaboratively and creatively with Millar Western’s leadership, employees and stakeholders, your contribution as Divisional Controller will help the company achieve its long-term objectives and could lead to succession opportunities in a variety of career/business streams.
- Post-secondary degree in related field
- Financial designation will be considered an asset
- 5 to 7 years financial experience in an operational environment
- Business analysis experience from a financial mindset
- In-depth experience driving system improvement and optimization with technical financial toolsets and ERP systems (SAP, LIMS)
- Manufacturing experience required, with strong preference to Forest industry background
- Experience within data-management and analysis
- Strong presence, capable of earning respect and influence among senior management, employees and external stakeholders
- Strategic, forward thinker
- Excellent communicator who delivers clear messages and has effective social skills across diverse groups
- A people leader, who will incite enthusiasm, motivate, help maintain positive morale and model the company’s values and standards of professionalism
- Passionate builder, driven to grow business and enhance financial performance
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AGBJ-608251 Divisional Controller – Millar Western Forest Products Ltd. - AB (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.