Director, RCMP Support Services & Municipal Enforcement – Strathcona County
Strathcona County’s Vision
“Becoming Canada’s most livable community”
About the County
Strathcona County, located in the heart of Alberta, is an energetic and thriving community. Set in the centre of Alberta’s energy and agricultural heartland, Strathcona County is a successful and vibrant community of over 98,000 residents. Strathcona County is made up of the urban area of Sherwood Park and a large adjacent rural area of farms, acreages and smaller hamlets. It is home to 75 per cent of hydrocarbon processing in Western Canada.
Strathcona County is a leader in environmental conservation, and 55 per cent of its land is within the UNESCO Beaver Hills Biosphere. Strathcona County strives to be a model of ecological integrity, protecting the environment and preserving their agricultural heritage.
With a focus on economic, governance, social, cultural and environmental sustainability, Strathcona County is committed to balancing the unique needs of its diverse community. Investment in infrastructure, quality services, cultural and recreational programs and facilities is a priority and sets the County apart.
Known as a welcoming place to live, the County attracts people of all ages, cultures and walks of life. Families thrive in this dynamic, caring and safe community.
About the Organization
Strathcona County has approximately 2,000 permanent, temporary and hourly employees who are responsible for the efficient administration and operation of all elements of the County. The organization consists of four service areas: Infrastructure and Planning Services, Corporate Services, Community Services, and Financial and Strategic Management.
As the people who deliver the programs and services valued by their community, the employees of Strathcona County enjoy significant job satisfaction from providing excellent service. They take pride in the work they do to improve the experience of residents and businesses in Strathcona County.
Strathcona County strives to work within their Corporate Values of
Integrity | Respect | Safety | Fairness | Cooperation
For more information, please visit: www.strathcona.ca
|Job Title:||Director, RCMP Support Services & Municipal Enforcement|
|Reports to:||Associate Commissioner, Community Services|
|Operations Support Supervisor, Enforcement Services Supervisor, Department Accountant, Administrative Assistant I|
|Indirect Reports:||Approximately 100|
|Location:||Strathcona County, Alberta|
The Director, RCMP Support Services & Municipal Enforcement has primary responsibility for leading, managing and directing the Department to support Strathcona County’s vision, Strategic and Corporate Business Plans, and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, this leader establishes strategic direction and alignment within the organization as well as with the RCMP. The Director advises, influences, and informs the Associate Commissioner of Community Services and ultimately the Executive Team. This position will work alongside the RCMP in a collaborative manner to deliver community policing and municipal enforcement services to the County. Through an integrated approach it will also ensure timely and appropriate support services are in place for the RCMP. This role requires an excellent people leader who possesses a strong understanding of community safety and wellbeing needs in order to guide the department in a collaborative environment and provide excellence in programs to support the organization in achieving its Strategic and Corporate Business plans.
- Work in partnership with community leaders and agencies to focus on community safety and wellbeing.
- Work with the Associate Commissioner, Chief Commissioner, Executive Team, Council, the Senior Leadership Team, and the RCMP, in all aspects of community safety, strategic policing and bylaw enforcement including the design, implementation and evaluation of programs, services and policies.
- Strategize, develop, implement, and exemplify the department core functions of providing support services to the RCMP and responding to calls for enforcement services in order to ensure reliable, efficient and safe programming and service delivery, and support a sustainable environment and healthy community.
- Lead the development and implementation of the department’s business plan operating budget and human resource planning.
- Report to senior executives, administration and Council on strategic or critical/emerging topics.
- Foster, build and maintain effective relationships with the RCMP, Council, Executive Team, Divisional Leadership, department staff and other County departments and stakeholders.
- Participate in Strathcona County’s Senior Leadership Team to contribute to the development and success of the overall organization. As a member of this group, champion and support County initiatives.
- Professionally represent Strathcona County and the department in various capacities and ensure that the County’s interests and relationships are preserved.
- Promote and maintain a positive image of the department through strong community relations, external communications, and effective media liaison and interactions.
- Establish and maintain key provincial and regional relationships as applicable.
- Collaborate with the RCMP to ensure that the Municipal Enforcement & RCMP Support Services Department are aligned with the County’s priorities and objectives.
- Participate in and lead the development and implementation of strategies that build organizational capacity, provide excellence in customer service, and optimize the well-being and morale of the department and the organization (including talent management, leadership development and succession planning, performance planning and review, and employee communication).
- Establish, model, support, and encourage a collaborative and healthy work environment including personal accountability, a unified culture, team alignment, engaged employees, respectful conduct, recognition and continuous improvement.
- Promote and support the outcomes, priorities, goals and deliverables of the People Plan in order to collaboratively co-design a workplace and culture that is reflective of Strathcona County’s vision of becoming Canada’s most livable community; to be a diverse, successful and sustainable community, recognized for an exceptional quality of life.
- Model, demonstrate and promote the County’s corporate values to ensure they guide actions and decisions made at all levels in the department.
- Foster a culture of leadership, staff engagement, collaboration, teamwork, and excellence in customer service.
- Maintain a culture of safety and mental wellness by ensuring adherence to established policies and standards and ensure that organizational risks are identified and addressed.
- Mentor, develop and encourage successors. Provide clear expectations, thorough and objective evaluation, strong coaching, and leadership support to encourage direct reports to build on strengths to prepare them for added responsibilities should they wish to pursue them.
- Coach and mentor department staff encouraging strategic-thinking skills, collaborative approaches, and the building and maintenance of effective working relationships.
- Oversee the recruitment, orientation, performance management, and professional development of direct reports to help further the department’s goals and objectives.
- Ensure the department delivers effective and efficient customer service within its mandate for program delivery.
- Manage, review and report on the Department’s financial performance and resources in accordance with approved operating and capital budgets and account for the fiscal costs, resources and revenues used in providing portfolio programs and services.
- Establish mechanisms to measure, monitor, and report performance outcomes in service delivery (quality, financial, productivity, continuous improvement, employee engagement) to assure Strathcona County residents that responsible budgeting is used to deliver the desired programs and outcomes.
- Oversee the efficient and effective use of all resources: financial, information technology, human resources, communications and documentation management.
- Identify and maintain awareness of emerging issues and opportunities; proactively conduct analysis and provide recommendations and/or solutions to address same.
- Manage and resolve internal and external contentious issues in accordance with Strathcona County’s Policies and Strategic Plan.
- Manage, oversee and foster relationships with outside providers to ensure value for Strathcona County’s investments.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build strong and trusted internal relationships with staff, Community Services colleagues, other Department leaders and Strathcona County employees through frequent interactions and exceptional relationship building skills
- Enhance the external visibility of the Department by establishing relationships with community partners and agencies to promote community safety and wellbeing (for example, act as a key representative at the Community Social Framework table)
- Achieve increased employee engagement through a concerted culture transformation effort
- Ensure that there is a link between the RCMP Support Services & Municipal Enforcement Department and all other departments, for example, the corporate Human Resources team and Family and Community Services Department
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify, implement, maintain and update RCMP Support Services & Municipal Enforcement business processes to meet the County’s current and future business needs.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Minimum of an undergraduate university degree in business, public administration, emergency management, or a related field;
- Ten or more years of senior level management experience in a complex service delivery organization or related field with a positive and successful career track record of progressively more senior positions;
- Strong leadership experience in a community safety, emergency management, or enforcement environment coupled with an extensive background and experience in planning, policies and systems;
- Experience working in partnership with contracted 3rd parties/agencies;
- Public sector experience and working within a political decision-making structure would be an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to influence culture change, collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, persuade, and garner commitment; develop and mentor others to be leaders; create, support, and lead by example to build a high-performance team and a positive work environment.
- Required to understand the municipal law enforcement context and challenges of leading in a policing environment, while also possessing the skills to create opportunities to successfully lead a team of municipal employees through new and modern leadership approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to lead large scale change management initiatives.
- Extensive knowledge of the theories, principles, and administration of community policing and by law enforcement services, infrastructure, and management, including the political and policy factors that influence RCMP Support Services & Municipal Enforcement programs and their development.
- Considerable breadth and in-depth knowledge of financial management, planning and reporting processes, priority-based budgeting, business planning and fiscal frameworks, and best practices in RCMP Support Services & Municipal Enforcement and infrastructure in a municipal setting.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategy, and develop and implement new programs, procedures, services, and policies that address emerging needs, expectations, and operational priorities.
- Strong political and organizational savvy and business acumen. Ability to respond under pressure to changing political and operational situations.
- Extensive knowledge of the functions, principles and policies of municipal government administration and operations, including the Municipal Government Act.
Competencies and Attributes
- Strategic and Business Planning: provides leadership to all planning initiatives and ensures accountability for achievement of results in the Department. Is able to maintain focus on the strategic direction and long-term vision while balancing the need to address the immediate and emerging needs.
- Service Excellence: ensures customer satisfaction through timely, proactive and knowledgeable actions that go the “extra mile”, while effectively managing customer expectations in context of the County’s priorities, policies and service delivery standards. Shows flexibility in relation to adapting to changing circumstances, priorities and needs.
- Relationship Building: effectively builds relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders on a provincial and national level. Flexible, adaptable, unbiased, approachable, collaborative and demonstrates a positive attitude. Diplomatic with well-developed negotiation skills.
- Communication: open, honest, and tactful with all audiences. Demonstrates respect to all in a clear and straightforward style. Excellent presentation skills. Is an active listener, encourages discussion and input and is transparent in both written and verbal communication.
- Creativity and Innovation: the ability to utilize theory, principles and experience to develop new and unique ways to identify root causes of departmental issues and find effective ways to address them
- Leadership Skills: collaborative, progressive and visionary. Develop and mentor others to be leaders; create, support, and lead by example to build a high-performance team and a positive work environment. Is appreciative, engaging, understanding and knowledgeable of issues and concerns. Identifies opportunities, inspires action and achieves results. Leads with empathy, creates an environment of trust, is self-aware and acknowledges their own errors. Recognizes the strength, knowledge and experience of the team.
- Integrity and Trust: honest, sincere, dependable, authentic, and trustworthy. High ethical standards and an honest, open-minded and consistent approach to working with staff and stakeholders. Accountable, holding both themselves and others responsible for commitments, decisions and actions.
- Politically Astute: knows and understands legislative and regulatory processes and has an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions. Guide and mentor Executive Team and Council with solid and informed recommendations.
- Management Skills: encourages and inspires new ideas and approaches. Ensures timely and efficient budgeting, financial and information reporting. Uses resources effectively and efficiently; sets clear expectations; ensures accountability through the performance management system.
- Decision Making: assess complex/sensitive situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks and make sometimes controversial or difficult decisions that are in the best interests of the department and organization.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
The ability to obtain RCMP Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance is a condition of Employment.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ATYJ-386583 Director, RCMP Support Services & Municipal Enforcement – Strathcona County - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.