Director of Philanthropy – University Hospital Foundation
Established in 1962 and governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees, the University Hospital Foundation (the Foundation or UHF) has evolved into one of the most successful healthcare fundraising organizations in Canada, having achieved “high performer” status through the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy’s (AHP) Performance Benchmarking Service. The Foundation values the opportunity to compare itself to its peers, and consistently seeks to improve efficiencies and impact.
The Foundation strives to ensure that donations make the most significant impact possible and gives donors confidence that their donations are wisely spent through comprehensive, transparent financial reporting.
The University of Alberta Hospital site is renowned for many areas of specialization which include central and northern Alberta’s only Level 1 trauma centre; world class brain and heart care programs; one of only two dedicated burn units in Canada; and Canada’s busiest multi-transplant program. Donor gifts to the University Hospital Foundation support advancements in patient care, fund innovative clinical research and education, and help purchase advanced medical technology that leads to faster and more accurate diagnosis and treatment.
The University Hospital Foundation works closely with the leadership teams at the University Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute, and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic (all located in Edmonton).
As the University Hospital Foundation’s current fundraising focus, the Brain Centre Campaign has raised over $50 million to date, taking brain care at the University of Alberta Hospital to a dynamic new level. With the Foundation’s recent announcement that Wayne Gretzky has joined the Brain Centre Campaign Team as Honourary Chair, the opportunity and profile of this campaign will continue to expand. The ongoing success of the campaign will result in a Brain Centre of national stature in Edmonton.
For further information on the University Hospital Foundation, please visit: www.GiveToUHF.ca.
Job Title: Director, Philanthropy
Reports to: Vice President, Philanthropy
Direct Reports: Major Gifts Officer (x3)
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The University Hospital Foundation believes in the power of generosity to save and change lives. The Foundation raises funds to ensure patients at the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic have access to the latest advancements in medical technology and innovative patient care. As a result of very generous individuals and community support, the Foundation has raised more than $187 million in the last 10 years to support patient care, advanced technology and clinical research.
Reporting to the Vice President, Philanthropy, the Director, Philanthropy will create the fund development plan (in partnership with the Vice President, Philanthropy) and oversee the Foundation’s fundraising efforts in the areas of major gifts and planned giving. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong leadership in establishing and developing long-term philanthropic relationships with high capacity prospects and donors while leading a team of fundraisers. S/he will balance her/his time between contributing to fundraising strategy; identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of prospects and donors; and coaching a high performing team. The Director, Philanthropy will develop and implement strategies that promote long-term sustainable growth and deepen the organization’s relationships with donors and volunteers. The Director, Philanthropy will work independently and collaboratively with colleagues throughout the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic.
- Translate the interests of potential donors or stakeholders into attractive opportunities for investment in the UHF;
- Communicate the Foundation’s objectives in a persuasive and inspiring manner with all stakeholders;
- Develop strategies to solicit and secure major gifts, including prospect research, customized proposal writing, presentations and direct involvement in major gift solicitations;
- Build and increase support for the University Hospital Foundation through active participation in identifying, cultivating and stewarding relationships and connections;
- Creatively communicate the objectives of the Foundation both face-to-face and in writing to prospective donors; and
- Deliver on specific revenue targets related to a group of donors assigned to the role.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fund development plan, in conjunction with the VP Philanthropy, which establishes clear goals and a budget for the philanthropy team, plans for obtaining individual major and planned gifts, a strategy to increase affinity to the Foundation and corporate support;
- Contribute to building and sustaining a culture of philanthropy that supports new program development and initiatives; and
- Support the expansion of the planned giving program.
- Effectively collaborate with senior staff and volunteers demonstrating an ability to work at all levels within a research-intensive hospital environment;
- Exercise discretion and good judgment in representing the Foundation;
- Establish performance metrics, drive the team to results and regularly report progress to the leadership team; and
- Provide coaching and mentorship to a team of fundraisers.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Firmly establish herself or himself as a trusted advisor to the Vice President, related to overall management of the philanthropy team;
- Support the achievement of defined goals for direct reports including metrics to evaluate success;
- Develop new and enhance existing relationships with donors and key stakeholders;
- Manage the operation of the Foundation’s pipeline management system including reporting on defined outcomes such as achievement of solicitation and revenue targets;
- Develop and actualize a fund development plan for the philanthropy team; and
- Actively participate in securing major gifts.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree; and
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation or commitment to obtain CFRE designation within first year (where possible) of employment.
- Minimum five years’ of progressively responsible fundraising experience and a proven record of successful cultivation and solicitation of major gifts (five and six figure gifts);
- Minimum five years’ experience leading a team;
- Solid knowledge of ethical principles and best practices relating to fundraising, prospect research, donor relations and communications;
- Previous experience and familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or equivalent donor database management systems and Microsoft Office suite;
- Keen understanding of budgeting processes and data management;
- Knowledge of Canada Revenue Agency, Federal and Provincial laws as they pertain to charitable work;
- Demonstrated working knowledge of planning and execution of capital campaigns;
- Knowledge of the University of Alberta Hospital considered an asset; and
- Association of Fundraising Professionals or Association of Healthcare Philanthropy membership is an asset.
*A combination of relevant education and experience will be considered*
Competencies and Attributes
- Conveys a high degree of comfort in identifying, contacting and developing new major gift prospects;
- Possesses superior interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrates an outgoing, positive, group-win approach and a willingness to learn, teach and share;
- Exemplifies excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Successfully manages multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrates professionally maturity, resourcefulness and self-discipline in engaging in the pursuit of the Foundation’s goals;
- Displays an ability to focus on the big picture without losing sight of the details in cooperation with the Philanthropy team and Foundation volunteers;
- Develops and maintains cooperative, successful working relationships with staff, donors and volunteers through exceptional influencing, tact and diplomacy skills;
- Thinks strategically and creatively about engaging donors, developing plans of action and following through;
- Demonstrates presence, self-confidence, sound judgment, and superior problem-solving ability; and
- Willing and available to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
Please follow the link to complete a Culture Index Survey, which will help the Foundation get to know you better and assess your fit for this position.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AUOE-158814 Director of Philanthropy – University Hospital Foundation - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.