Director of Operations – Ogilvie LLP
Founded in 1920 by James Harwood Ogilvie Q.C., Ogilvie LLP is one of Alberta’s premier law firms and is delighted to celebrate 100 years of providing outstanding service across the province. Ogilvie is a full-service, mid-sized firm with a reputation built on ingenuity, leadership and client relationships.
The Ogilvie team is proud to carry on Mr. Ogilvie’s legacy by continuing to create meaningful relationships with their clients and supporting the businesses and communities that make our city great. Ogilvie is committed to preserving a tradition of community support and believes that corporate support is an investment in our community.
Ogilvie’s diverse team of lawyers are focused on solving issues to help their clients’ businesses thrive. Ogilvie’s lawyers work in specialized teams across a variety of practice areas including Corporate Commercial; Real Estate; Litigation & Dispute Resolution; Insolvency & Restructuring; Wills, Estates & Trusts; and Administrative Law. With experience in each area of practice, Ogilvie is a strong advocate for their clients, no matter what they are facing. Situated in Edmonton, Ogilvie’s team advises local, national and multinational businesses ranging from sole proprietorships to public corporations and not-for-profit entities across Alberta and the North.
For further information on Ogilvie LLP, please visit their website at https://www.ogilvielaw.com.
|Job Title:||Director of Operations|
|Management Committee (3 Partners) through the Managing Partner|
|7: Controller, Accountant / Business Analyst, Trust Desk, Administrative Support & Human Resources Manager, Systems Administration Manager, Reception and Court Runner|
The Director of Operations will work in close collaboration with the Management Committee and Partnership to facilitate and guide the strategic planning activities of Ogilvie LLP (the “firm”) and to continue their strong legacy and ongoing success. The Director of Operations is responsible for leading and managing the operations of the firm and will oversee and provide strategic direction for all operational, human resources, financial, accounting, marketing, and systems or information technology activities.
The Director of Operations organizes the agendas for and participates in all regular Management Committee and Partnership meetings and will manage all deliverables arising from those meetings. The Director of Operations assesses organizational needs and develops, implements, and regularly assesses strategies, plans and tactics to achieve desired outcomes. The Director of Operations provides leadership to staff by positively influencing their actions and behaviors.
The successful candidate will exhibit a strategic and visionary mindset and will embody an entrepreneurial spirit in developing and executing on the firm’s corporate strategy. As a key leader in the firm, the Director of Operations will champion Ogilvie’s values to foster a culture of collaboration, performance and service excellence.
- Lead and facilitate a collaborative process with regards to strategic planning and development alongside the Management Committee;
- Establish and implement short and long range operational goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures that will increase operational effectiveness;
- Collaborate with the firm’s administrative team and each of the firm’s practice areas to implement both firm and specific practice area goals;
- Support the Management Committee and the Partnership by keeping abreast of the overall business activities of the firm, understanding the business direction, identifying opportunities, discussing initiatives to be undertaken and the tools necessary to develop and implement the firm’s business plans;
- Research and remain current on trends in legal and corporate management to assist in and develop reporting and other mechanisms to ensure that the Management Committee and the Partnership are provided with key metrics and other relevant information;
- Maintain current knowledge of the regulatory environment as it relates to information technology, marketing, human resources and finance/accounting;
- Examine and evaluate growth initiatives, including increasing market share, merger and acquisition opportunities;
- Provide leadership and direction in all areas of finance, accounting, business development, marketing, human resources and information technology management, working collaboratively with the firm’s existing specialized managers in each of these areas; and
- Coordinate and participate in lawyer/management/staff functions including retreats and meetings.
Human Resources Leadership
- Develop and implement the firm’s human resource strategy in alignment with the overall corporate strategy;
- Develop platforms/tools/routines that create and maintain a culture of high performance designed to attract and retain top talent;
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives;
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to provide leadership, direction, and coaching to achieve work objectives and improve performance and skills;
- Provide leadership, mentorship and coaching to the firm’s administrative team ensure high performance on an ongoing basis;
- Share best practices to improve internal processes or procedures;
- Support the Management Committee with the Associate Review process and professional development including developing systems for effective communication of partnership expectations and issues arising from the evaluation process; and
- Oversee the human resources function including planning, performance, orientation, salary administration and development.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the marketing/branding strategy including identifying goals priorities, strategic approach and budget requirements (short and long term);
- Act as key liaison with external agencies to ensure consistency in the firm’s branding and marketing activities; and
- Engage with external community and stakeholders as ambassador on behalf of the firm to create meaningful relationships and identify opportunities.
- Support the development and management of annual budgets for the firm and perform regular cost and productivity analysis;
- Continually evaluate fiscal soundness, stability and profitability with the preparations and review of reports as required;
- Execute a performance and reporting framework to assess and report the financial and non-financial performance of the firm;
- Develop and implement a financial strategy/plan alongside the Management Committee including the development and management of the policies, systems, processes and personnel involved;
- Oversee the accounting functions of the firm including ensuring that reporting and accounting practices comply with regulatory and legal requirements including taxation, Law Society and annual financial reporting; and
- Coordinate and monitor the firm’s professional liability and other insurance policies.
Systems Administration Leadership
- Develop and implement the technology strategy to ensure resources are in place to achieve organizational goals;
- Oversee and evaluate all IT infrastructure, maintenance of facilities, furnishings and equipment for all offices; and
- Develop and maintain relationships with legal administrators, with key consultants in the legal field, and with vendors.
- Provide leadership within one of Alberta’s premier law firms with a reputation for ingenuity, leadership, dedication to the community and building meaningful relationships;
- Facilitate the strategic development activities of the firm as a peer to the Partnership participating in all meetings and retreats; and
- Ogilvie’s achievements in law and business have been recognized through awards from the Best Lawyers in Canada, CPA and from industry groups such as Builder’s Choice.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trusting, open, collaborative and respectful relationships throughout the firm with Employees, Associates, and Partners;
- Lead and facilitate the strategic planning activities of the firm in collaboration with the Partnership;
- Develop and execute corporate and operational plans pertaining to the human resources, financial, marketing and information technology activities of the firm to achieve the goals outlined in the strategic plan;
- Conduct a comprehensive review of all the firm’s processes, policies and resources identifying opportunities for improvement and leading any subsequent change management initiatives in pursuit of the strategic objectives;
- In collaboration with the Management Committee, develop and implement a refreshed compensation structure;
- As part of the human resources strategy, develop succession planning initiatives; and
- Champion Ogilvie’s culture and foster an environment to attract, retain and grow top talent.
The successful candidate will have the following:
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the firm and in supporting the success of the firm, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or equivalent;
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) is an asset; and
- Certification in Chartered Professional in Human Recourses (CPHR) and/or The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is an asset.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in a professional services firm, or equivalent business with a minimum 5+ years’ experience in a leadership or management role;
- Excellent leadership capabilities with history of fostering a high performance culture that attracts and retains top talent;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and facilitate strategic planning activities with a track record of success in implementation; and
- Excellent understanding of corporate operations, reading and interpreting financial statements to inform key business decisions.
Competencies and Attributes
- Uncompromising sense of integrity, discretion and high ethical standards;
- Ability to use foresight and strategic planning to provide vision for the firm;
- Develop and leverage relationships through high emotional and social intelligence;
- A commitment to, and the ability to foster, corporate values and culture including collaboration, entrepreneurialism, honesty, integrity and ethics;
- Exceptional communication skills; an accessible facilitator who listens and encourages collaboration;
- Excels in coaching and mentoring the development of team members;
- Results oriented with an adaptable, yet disciplined, approach to balancing business considerations;
- Strong business, human resources, finance and accounting, administrative and information technology acumen;
- Brings an innovative and persuasive approach to implementing change appropriate to a professional services environment; and
- Ability to manage conflict resolution through collaboration and problem-solving.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AIXG-717472 Director of Operations – Ogilvie LLP - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.