Director of Care – S.U.C.C.E.S.S Multi-Level Care Society
As a result of rapid growth in the seniors’ population in Vancouver, there was an urgent need for a culturally appropriate care facility for Chinese-speaking seniors. In 1995, the S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Multi-Level Care Society was incorporated under the parent company S.U.C.C.E.S.S. B.C. with the purpose of establishing linguistically and culturally appropriate care for those seniors in the local community. Today, S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Multi-Level Care Society has developed into a provider of quality residential care and health services. The organization is committed to fostering a culture of safety, Eden Alternatives and Personal Family Centered Care and is proud to contribute to a culture of excellence, receiving 12 years of exemplary standing in accredited excellence in seniors care programming. The highly dedicated team of frontline staff, management and volunteer groups make up the unique blend and diverse workforce committed to ensuring the best possible care and support is provided to seniors at various stages of life.
To provide a continuum of excellent, culturally appropriate services for seniors.
Aging in Place, Caring, Continuous Learning, Culturally Sensitive, Ethical Inclusive, Innovative, Integrity, and Mutual Respect.
Philosophy of Care
Person and Family Centred Care is the guiding principle for delivery of services in our organization.
Job Title: Director of Care
Reports to: Executive Director, Health Services
Direct Reports: 50
Indirect Reports: 85
Location: Vancouver, BC
The Director of Care is responsible for ensuring a high level of quality care is provided for all residents and staff within the facility. The Director of Care will oversee a team of nurses, care aids, recreation and facilities staff who share a common vision of adhering to a high level of safety protocols and best practices. Working in close collaboration with the Executive Director, Health Services, the Director of Care will provide input and expertise with regards to the strategic direction for the broader Multi-Level Care Society and will lead the operational plans for the care home facility.
The Director of Care’s key areas of focus will be:
- Develop and provide leadership and direction of the seniors care home within the framework of the Vision, Mission, Values and Philosophy of Care of both SUCEESS Multi-Level Care Society and SUCCESS.
- Work with the Management Team to develop and implement the care home Operational Plan.
- Manage a group of middle management and clinical professionals in care home to ensure an effective process for ethical practice and decision-making.
- Reviews and develops program policies and procedures to ensure that the operations of care home meet the organizational goals and objectives, as well as comply with the requirements and standards of government authorities.
- Participates in the Continuous Quality Improvement activities of the organization and provides leadership to direct monitoring, evaluation and improvement initiatives.
- Provides leadership including coaching and consulting to a large group of unionized and non-unionized staff including those who have supervisory responsibilities through providing direction on day-to-day issues and by organizing goals and objectives and interpreting policy directives.
- Provides leadership and guidance to other members of the organization by providing information on area of specialized knowledge.
- Provides support to external customers including other health care organizations and family members.
- Develops and recommends large complex budgets for the care home, monitors expenditures, completes variance analysis and reporting and recommends and implements remedial action for the program/department.
- Works with diverse and sensitive issues and must be privy to confidential information.
- Acts as on-call manager when required to make decisions that have organizational wide ramifications.
- Must continually update and develop processes within the facility and programs to meet the changing needs of the organization.
- Internal contacts include ongoing contact with personnel at all levels of the organization including facility/program staff, physicians, and other department/program managers. Contacts primarily involve negotiating with others or facilitating consensus.
- External contacts including ongoing contact with a variety of outside agencies including the public, other health care organizations, Ministry of Health and community agencies. Contacts primarily involve negotiating with others or, facilitating consensus.
Staff Management and Learning Development
- Understand and apply collective agreements for union certification, i.e. BCNU. Works independently on overall objectives and policies.
- Provides support to staff in the attainment of their goals. Promotes staff health safety and work life balance.
- Actively promotes staff involvement in problem solving and planning for the area and promotes staff creatively.
- Coordinates the availability of adequate staff and the efficient and effective use of human and material resources.
- Works with Human Resources Department in the creation of human resources plan and strategies of the care home to attract and retain talent.
- Conducts interviews and contributes to all hiring decisions.
- Conducts employee performance reviews and completes appraisals for all staff.
- Works with Human Resources Department to select, discipline and/or terminate immediate subordinate staff; develop their job descriptions and work assignments within the parameters of the Collective Agreement in consultation with the Executive Director, Health Services. Participates in the management of grievances and labor relations matters.
- Works with Human Resources Department to identify the training needs of staff and set up training / education plans to ensure ongoing professional development of the team.
- Join an organization with a highly energetic, dedicated and welcoming team.
- Opportunity to serve the Chinese community in a deeply meaningful way.
- Contribute to a proud culture of excellent with programs that have been accredited by Accreditation Canada since 2005, with exemplary standing for the last 12 years.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing.
- Practicing membership with the British Columbia College of Nurse & Midwives (BCCNM)
- Minimum of three (3) years’ work experience in geriatric care.
- Three (3) to five (5) years solid experience in management position, with long-term care preferred.
- Knowledgeable about the Long-Term Care system in BC is considered an asset.
- Strong planning & organizational, problem solving & decision-making skills; ability to manage time effectively.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, experience with conflict management.
- Must be able to speak in Chinese (Mandarin and/or Cantonese).
Competencies and Attributes
- A dedicated and compassionate leadership style who fosters a ‘firm but fair’ philosophy.
- Collaborate and inspirational with ability to empower and develop teams.
- Has innate curiosity; ability to see, listen and hear with intent to maintain a safety and continuous improvement-based organizational culture.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, families, community partners and local government and health authorities.
Applications will be accepted until 5pm PST on April 5, 2021.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AWED-131406 Director of Care – S.U.C.C.E.S.S Multi-Level Care Society - BC - Vancouver and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.