Director, Market & Product Strategy – priMED Medical Products Inc.
Based in Edmonton, priMED Medical Products Inc. (“priMED”) is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of single-use medical products to customers worldwide. The company has its corporate head office in Canada, international operations and three wholly owned manufacturing facilities in China. priMED is an ISO 13485:2016 registered company and recognized as one of Canada’s 100 Best Managed Companies (2017, 2018).
Job Title: Director, Market & Product Strategy
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Direct Reports: 5 (2 Senior Product Managers; Product Manager; Marketing & Pricing Analyst; and Product Marketing Associate)
Indirect Reports: 0
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The Director, Market & Product Strategy (“DMPS”) is responsible for overall product and market strategy, with the end goal of increasing profitability, driving customer value and growing priMED’s brand equity. This role will lead the strategic direction of the Product and Market team. Key deliverables will be articulating priMED’s value proposition to the market, and supporting client/contract retention, growth, and acquisition. This position drives market entry strategy, contracts, and supports sales for priMED products through our various distribution channels and business models. Through evaluation of customer and market needs across various segments with input from other areas, the DMPS will be responsible to create, revise, and execute product and market growth plans that increase market share, profitability, and sustainability of the category.
Overall, this role leads the evaluation, development, and implementation of strategic market growth initiatives. As the key individual responsible for the plans to grow within existing and new markets, the DMPS must ensure they have all alignment throughout the organization to execute on the plans, and ensure they are on the cutting edge of the competitive marketplace, emerging technologies, new products, business models, and services.
The DMPS reports directly to the Executive Vice President and requires working relationships with all key departments and teams within the organization. As the leader of the Product and Market team, the DMPS is a mentor that helps develop strategic plans and provides guidance on executing them. The role will lead and drive a customer focused culture throughout the department and work very closely with the Sales leadership and account managers, the Product Development team, and the Quality & Regulatory Affairs team on different opportunities and projects. Superior collaboration skills with the Brand and Engagement team will be required to develop marketing strategies and tools that drive forward the strategic objectives and growth.
External contacts include clients, suppliers, end users, and representatives from government and professional agencies. The nature of this contact is to further establish and evolve priMED’s brand and value proposition through all marketing and product initiatives. Some training and teaching of healthcare workers may be involved.
The Director, Market & Product Strategy is responsible for the entire product portfolio including the overall product category and market strategy and the following responsibilities:
- Management of the Product and Marketing Team
- Acute Care Canadian contract strategy creation and execution
- B2B value proposition creation and execution
- Market entry plans for various new and emerging markets for existing and/or new priMED products and services
- Work with Sales, Operational Excellence, Product Development, Quality & Regulatory Affairs, Brand & Engagement, and Sourcing to generate business cases for new products and opportunities, including financial analysis and sales forecasts
- Understand customer requirements and how priMED products meet those requirements This can be achieved through product knowledge, interactions with key customers, data review, competitor analysis, and/or tradeshows
- Create and deploy a multi-year market development strategy and oversee creation of corresponding action plans
- Develop consensus within the product manager team which leads to clear and efficient product road mapping, product planning, prioritization and overall product development process
- Review competitive market intelligence, including development of clinical knowledge, understanding of the competitive landscape, competitive products, upcoming contract opportunities, market pricing and benchmarking
- Develop customer-based solutions using the company’s products and services. Collect market data and prepare competitive analysis
- Identify current and future product or market requirements to recommend, develop, implement, and drive execution of marketing plans to meet the goals
- Continuously review and evaluate customer research, market conditions and competitive data
- Ensure resources are allocated to meet the strategic plan and priMED’s financial and non-financial objectives
- Create forward thinking actionable insights and frameworks based on data from priMED’s customer base and marketplace as a whole
- Deliver useful competitive insight and proposed actions to address challenges
- Foster department development by enabling industry best practices resulting in higher value growth
- Use analytics and research from other teams (e.g. Sales) to identify high-impact opportunities for products and solutions that drive customer experience and conversion to priMED products
- Foster a high performing environment that encourages retention of skilled talent though an inclusive work environment and using a coaching mindset
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Cultivate trust and respect with the senior management team and their product and market team
- Understand our business models, value propositions, and products in order to become a valued contributor to the long-term strategic plan of the business
- Support, align, and refine existing product plans
- Support growth in existing international markets and create growth plan for new markets that align with strategic plan of priMED
- Drive exceptional customer service with a continued focus on product variety and quality
- Partner with sales leadership team to execute clear, structured, and accountable go-to market strategies that will drive growth
- Establish and implement a process to harness end-user feedback
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of priMED and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline
- MBA or other advanced degree would be considered an asset
- 5 years of progressively senior product and market experience in similar industry
Competencies and Attributes:
- Exceptional track record of developing and implementing marketing and sales strategies that have consistently met or exceeded planned objectives
- Demonstrated experience within the healthcare industry is an asset
- Providing personal leadership through example
- Demonstrated strategic planning and analysis skills in sales, marketing, and business (competitive) strategy
- Proven leader that successfully develops and executes on project or program road map
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Office and advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel or Business Intelligence including analytical abilities.
- Excellent communication skills and network development with both internal and external stakeholders
- Leadership of a dynamic, fast paced team and the ability to prosper within the unique priMED culture
- Experience working within a structured product development program
- Experience developing strategic product management programs
- Demonstrated experience in taking decisive action with imperfect information within a demanding fast-paced workplace with very high standards
- A skilled negotiator and time manager who can effectively multi-task, prioritize, remain composed under pressure, and cultivate strong internal relationships
- Proven skills in product marketing and product life-cycle management
- An engaging presenter who can deliver seminars and presentations and context
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results driven, team oriented environment with a proven track record of achievement
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet tight deadlines in an environment of competing priorities
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: Es_edmonton@optimumtalent.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AKKU-122523 Director, Market & Product Strategy – priMED Medical Products Inc. - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.