Director, Labour Relations – Finning Canada
Finning Canada (“Finning”), a division of Finning International Inc., the world’s largest Caterpillar dealer delivering unrivalled service for over 85 years. They sell, rent and provide parts and service for equipment and engines to customers in various industries, including mining, construction, petroleum, forestry and a wide range of power systems applications across British Columbia, Yukon, Alberta, Northwest Territories and a portion of Nunavut.
Since 1933, when Finning was first established in Canada by Earl B. Finning, their name has conveyed integrity, reliability and resourcefulness. Over the years, the company has grown as a result of genuine commitment to earning customer loyalty.
With Finning’s broad product support infrastructure and unmatched service capabilities, they deliver solutions that enable customers to achieve the lowest equipment owning and operating costs while maximizing uptime.
Finning International Inc.
A publicly traded company (TSX:FTT), Finning International Inc. is the world’s largest Caterpillar equipment dealer delivering unrivalled service to customers in three main geographies – Canada, United Kingdom and Ireland, and South America. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, Finning International employs approximately 13,000 people worldwide. With revenue of $6.3 billion in 2017, the Company continues to invest in its business by taking advantage of opportunities that support its future growth strategies.
For further information about Finning Canada and Finning International, please visit their website at: www.finning.ca and www.finning.com.
|Job Title:||Director, Labour Relations|
|Reports to:||Vice President, Human Resources|
|Direct Reports:||Labour Relations Manager|
|Indirect Reports:||Labour Relations Advisors|
Reporting to the Vice President, Human Resources the Director, Labour Relations will be accountable for the development and implementation of Finning’s Labour Relations strategy, union negotiations, collective agreement interpretation and operating practices. Working closely with the business, this role will develop a long-term strategy for Finning’s positive union relationships ensuring approach is aligned with business outcomes. The individual will lead the Labour Relations team while providing advice and to other HR teams including, HR Services, Payroll/Benefits and Recruitment.
Labour Relations Strategy Enablement
- Develop and implement a long-term Labour Relations strategy for Finning that aligns with, and benefits, the overall strategic plan of the business
- Provide strategic direction, leadership and vision to the organization’s senior management and HR teams on Labour Relations issues
- Build strong relationships across the business in order to foster the influence necessary to drive a breakthrough mindset in order to better align Labour Relations strategy in support of future business objectives
- Use influence to drive constant and consistent progression of strategy
- Advise Senior Executives and the HR team on management options and alternatives, strategic planning issues and the long-term plans, priorities and objectives relating to Labour Relations issues
- Act as a Company representative in union meetings, resolving issues, grievances, disciplinary matters and other actions
- Interpret and administer Finning’s collective bargaining agreements, ensuring adherence to applicable legislation
- Develop and implement Labour Relations policies, change management strategies, communication and delivery mechanisms
- Provides communication and updates on Labour Relation matters, working closely with other internal stakeholders
- Initiate, design and implement effective Labour Relations guidelines and procedures
- Plan, direct and monitor service delivery and evaluate the effectiveness and need for policy or program changes
- Maintain knowledge of trends and developments in the Labour Relations field and legislation
- Build and maintain strong proactive, trusted relationships with the Finning’s Executive and Management teams
- Build and maintain strong proactive, trusted relationships with the Union Representatives
- Establish partnerships and collaborative networks within the organization, external networking groups, legal firms and consultants
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Customer Focus: Being successful means continuously paying attention to customer needs and adapting as these evolve. This heightens the importance of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer centric solutions.
- Commercial Mindset: Understanding the business and paying attention to business problems (complex and less complex) from all angles. Applying knowledge of the business and marketplace to negotiate and structure interactions. Not only understanding key financial and commercial fundamentals, but more importantly how to incorporate a commercial thinking mindset into every major decision made.
- Decision Quality: Good decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Making quality decisions while working in an environment where ambiguity and uncertainty are the norm.
- Cultivates Innovation: Paying attention to what customers want and need – new and improved products, services, solutions, and experiences. Taking initiative and collaborating with people who have diverse points of view. Embrace the mindset you and Finning are never done, never satisfied, never standing still.
- Drives Results: Infusing the team and organizations with a sense of urgency. Creating a culture where organizational performance is always top of mind. Communicating a vision, setting priorities, developing and executing plans that achieve the desired outcome for Finning.
- Develops Talent: Developing the team to meet both their career goals and Finning’s goals. Creating pools of people ready and willing to take on new challenges and step up when needed.
- Situational Adaptability: Paying attention to circumstance and adjusting accordingly. Being able to recognize the need to be flexible and act different because no two situations are exactly alike. The outcome will be ease of transaction and effectiveness of interaction.
- Courage: Being comfortable with the conflict that is inherent to being a champion of an idea or course of action. Meeting tough situations head-on to constructively resolve them. Saying what needs to be said at the right time, to the right person, in the right manner to effect change.
- Experience in providing analysis and advice to senior management on complex strategic and operational issues related to Labour Relations and compensation management issues
- Strong leadership skills: with the ability to drive results, lead change and influence at all levels
- Proven strategic planning acumen with experience leveraging Labour Relations in the pursuit of alignment with that plan
- Ability to translate financial strategy to Labour Relations strategy
- Experience in the development of HR management and accountability frameworks (e.g. grievance resolution process; management delegated authorities), as well as the development Labour Relations and compensation policies, processes and guidelines
- Experience building partnerships or collaborative working relations with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Experience building and implementing a mobile workforce strategy
- Experience guiding an organization through major change and shift in mindset
- Experience working under pressure in a complex work environment while managing competing priorities and demands
- Proven ability to fundamentally innovate
- Experience in developing strategic and multi-year plans, resource forecasts, and in managing project and operational budgets
- Experience in directing, planning and managing the work of professional HR staff in diverse roles
- Support and lead the business through negotiations and decision-making with a strong interpersonal focus and a positive impact on business performance
- Ability to understand complex Labour Relations issues and apply appropriate analysis and sound decision-making
- Ability to identify, develop and retain talent
- Highly effective written & oral communication skills
- High proficiency in business applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneDrive, SharePoint)
- Deep understanding of business operations and corporate development
- Extensive knowledge of Labour Relations strategy, practices and processes
- Understanding of the labour market impacts and competitive landscape
- Strong knowledge of employment legislation
- Understanding and experience with change management methodologies
- Accountable for the Labour Relations Strategy, as an integrated part of the overall business strategy
- Accountable for successful union negotiation strategy and outcomes
- Accountable to provide expertise on industry trends, competitors and legislative changes that will affect Labour Relations strategy
- Accountable for adhering to budget for Labour Relations
- Accountable to prepare budgets and present recommendations in addition to having financial accountability for assigned areas and projects.
Education & Experience:
- At least 5-10 years of both operational and HR leadership experience in a large, complex organization
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing Labour Relations strategies and aligning them with the business plan
- Comprehensive experience in business strategy, operational leadership and human resources within a unionized environment
- Post-secondary education in Business, Labour Relations or related field
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AEPU-336064 Director, Labour Relations – Finning Canada - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.