Director, Labour & Human Resources – Civeo
Civeo is a global workforce accommodation specialist that helps people maintain healthy, productive and connected lives while living and working away from home. Their unique approach focuses on guest wellbeing, operational efficiency, community building and a property development mindset – making them a leading provider of accommodation solutions.
Civeo is a new incarnation of an existing company with a track record of success that minimizes risk for clients. Their recent spin-off from Oil States International created one of the largest and most experienced global providers of accommodation services, offering a broader range of solutions across a larger geographic footprint. Their demonstrated ability to develop, own and efficiently operate quality accommodations supports clients in attracting and retaining qualified workers who are vital to the success of their projects.
At Civeo, people are at the heart of their success, and regardless of their role in the organization, they all share a common trait: they are passionate about caring for guests and genuinely care about one another.
With a culture that values individuality and diversity above corporate formalities, Civeo is a place where you can be yourself and bring forth new ideas. They promote a healthy work-life balance and an atmosphere of camaraderie where employees work together toward common goals, and are encouraged to innovate and take pride in the job they do.
They believe that, by looking forward, everyone gets ahead. They anticipate client needs, identify opportunities in advance of market demand, continuously expand their skills to stay ahead of client needs, and build long-term value supporting the communities in which they operate.
They know that by connecting – with each other, clients and partners – they will generate the best outcomes. They listen to their clients, collaborate with each other and with their communities, and combine all of their global resources to bring the right capabilities to each project.
Their business is built on caring for the needs of others so that they do whatever it takes to ensure the well being of guests in their properties. They work to strengthen the communities where they live and work, and they operate their business in a safe, ethical and financially responsible manner.
|Job Title:||Director, Labour & Human Resources|
|Reports to:||Vice President, Human Resources|
|8: Director, Human Resources Corporate Services; Human Resources Business Partners (x2); Sr. Coordinator, Disability Management; Sr. Human Resources Business Partners (x2); Administrator, Human Resources & Recruitment; Administrator Human Resources|
Reporting to the Vice President, Human Resources the Director, Labour & Human Resources provides assistance and leadership aimed at ensuring Civeo achieves it business and organizational objectives. As a strategic partner to the executive team, the Director works closely with the business to supports the development of a broad range of policies and procedures. Working closely with the Vice President Human Resources, the successful candidate will develop a comprehensive strategic organization development program for Civeo.
As the Chief Spokesperson in all labor-related matters and negotiations, the Director will create a long-term strategy to maintain and further Civeo’s positive union relationships ensuring the approach is aligned with business outcomes. The successful candidate will be accountable for the development and implementation of Civeo’s labour relations strategy, union negotiations, collective agreement interpretation and operating practices. The Director ensures that the business operates in compliance with all applicable federal and provincial legislation and the terms of all collective bargaining agreements and will provide guidance on labour relations issues that form a key component of commercial pursuits and bids.
- Provide strategic direction, leadership and vision to the organization’s senior management on labour-related issues;
- Maintain and enhance the Company’s profile by developing and maintain effective working relationships with unions, government and regulatory bodies, professional organizations, and other institutions as required;
- Use influence to drive constant and consistent progression of strategy;
- Maintain knowledge of trends and developments in the labour relations and health and safety field and relevant legislation; and
- Develop and implement a long-term labour relations strategy for Civeo that aligns with, and benefits, the overall strategic plan of the business.
- Advise Senior Executives on management options and alternatives, strategic planning issues and the long-term plans, priorities and objectives relating to labour-related issues;
- Build strong relationships across the business in order to foster the influence necessary to drive a breakthrough mindset in order to better align the labour relations strategy in support of future business objectives;
- Act as Chief Spokesperson on all labour-related and contract matters
- Interpret and administer Civeo’s collective bargaining agreements, ensuring adherence to applicable legislation;
- Develop and implement labour-related policies, change management strategies, communication and delivery mechanisms;
- Support commercial pursuit and bidding activities through the development of staffing and labour costing models;
- Provide communication and updates on labour-related matters, working closely with other internal stakeholders; and
- Initiate, design and implement effective labour-related guidelines and procedures.
- Identify and address issues that affect the overall health of the organization (ie. morale, effectiveness, turnover, absenteeism, productivity etc.);
- Identify diversity opportunities within the Canadian business and develop strategies and programs to achieve diversity goals;
- Develop and manage innovative recruitment practices and procedures that improve the attraction and retention of qualified candidates;
- Identify cost-effective innovation opportunities that advance the Company’s profile and competitiveness;
- Provide guidance on change management initiatives that are aimed at promoting a culture that drives performance;
- Develop and analyze dashboard format reports that summarize key business performance metrics including benefit costs, staffing levels/deployment, turnover, absenteeism, recruitment, applicant tracking, compensation, promotions and employee productivity; and
- Plan, direct and monitor service delivery and evaluate the effectiveness and need for policy or program changes.
- Build and maintain strong, collaborative and trusted relationships with the Civeo’s Executive and Management teams, site-level managers, corporate managers and directors;
- Provide leadership and mentorship to the human resources team to ensure their continuous development and high performance;
- Build and maintain strong proactive, trusted relationships with the Union Representatives; and
- Establish partnerships and collaborative networks within the organization, external networking groups, legal firms and consultants.
- Civeo has a longstanding executive team; many members have been with the company 15+ years;
- In 2019 Civeo obtained Gold Level certification in the Progressive Aboriginal Relations (PAR) program by the Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business
- Civeo’s Canadian operations have done well and has a strong financial backing and their leverage ratio continues to reduce; and
- Commitment to ongoing employee training and career and professional development.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the organization;
- Build strong personal relationships with the unions to maintain and further Civeo’s excellent working relationships;
- Build strong, collaborative and trusted relationships with internal partners and managers;
- Develop an internal training program to support onsite managers and further their understanding of labour relations to promote an excellent working environment; and
- In collaboration with the Vice President Human Resources, develop a succession strategy.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education in human resources, labour relations, business or related field; and
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
- A minimum 15 years work of progressively responsible experience in human resources, labour relations and employee relations is essential;
- Previous experience as Chief Spokesperson ‘at the table’ leading negotiations;
- Exceptional track record of success in building strong relationships at all levels of the organization and with external partners;
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing Labour Relations strategies and aligning them with the business plan;
- Demonstrated success with multiple unions and a multi-agreement environment;
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of labour and employment laws (including human rights regulations);
- Experience executing sound, evidence based business decisions and provide recommendations to senior management; and
- Comprehensive experience in business strategy, operational leadership and human resources within a unionized environment.
A combination of education and experience will be considered.
Competencies and Attributes
- Analytical: Approaches issues in a systematic manner, leveraging insights and opportunities from data and metrics to build strategies.
- Business Acumen: Understands all aspects of the business and how they are interconnected to achieve financial goals and objectives. Ability to sift through the ‘noise’ to focus on the key elements to lead team to goal achievement.
- Building Collaborative Relationships: Fosters an environment of collaboration. Builds strong relationships and facilitates trust with all levels of management, employees, unions and outside organizations through honesty, integrity and authenticity. Develops and delivers communications that provide clear understanding of the unique requirements of varying audiences.
- Communication: Demonstrates interpersonal communication and presentation skills to develop relationships with management and clients. Communicates information with consistency and clarity. Uses active listening techniques to effectively understand provided feedback.
- Customer Service: Continuously pays attention to customer needs adapting as they evolve. Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer centric solutions to both internal and external clients.
- Decision Quality: Decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Making quality decisions while working in an environment where ambiguity and uncertainty are the norm.
- Develops Talent: Develops the team to meet both their career goals and Civeo goals. Creating pools of people ready and willing to take on new challenges and step up when needed.
- Emotional Intelligence: Recognizes your own emotions and those of others, discern between different feelings and label them appropriately, use emotional information to guide thinking and behaviour. To manage and/or adjust emotions to adapt to environments or achieve goals. The ability to control and express your emotions, and to handle interpersonal relations judiciously and empathetically.
- Financial Acumen: Applies knowledge of the business, the marketplace and business principles to advance the goals of Cevio’s. Analyzes human capital metrics to identify opportunities for cost savings and increased efficiencies.
- Flexible: Pays attention to the circumstance and adjusts accordingly. Demonstrates ability to nimble and responsive to external factors impacting business success.
- Leadership: Provides the coaching, support, encouragement and direction required to engage and empower employees in the accomplishment of personal, departmental, and organizational goals and objectives. Models positive leadership behaviors and maintains professionalism under pressure and uncertainty. Provides timely feedback and guidance to employees, ensuring their development and success is supported.
- Negotiation: Settles differences in a way which a compromise or agreement is reached while avoiding arguments or disputes, through persuasion, planning, strategizing and cooperating.
- Pragmatic: Willingness to compromise to get a desired outcome by making practical and results oriented decisions. Balances the process and outcome orientation to ensure results are achieved with sensible levels of compromise.
- Project Management: Brings leadership and clear lines of accountability to the project by providing vision, motivation, coaching and removing roadblocks while inspiring the team to do their best work.
- Situational Adaptability: Pays attention to circumstance and adjusting accordingly. Being able to recognize the need to be flexible and act different because no two situations are exactly alike. The outcome will be ease of transaction and effectiveness of interaction.
- Willingness to Learn: Readiness and desire to acquire new knowledge and development of professional skills. Sees the importance of keeping up with modern trends.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AYDP-178676 Director, Labour & Human Resources – Civeo - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.