Director, Investigations – Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC)
The Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) administers and enforces the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 2002 (MVDA) – a public protection statute – on behalf of the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. OMVIC’s mandate is to maintain a fair and informed vehicle sales marketplace in Ontario by protecting the rights of consumers, enhancing industry professionalism and ensuring fair, honest and open competition for registered vehicle dealers.
OMVIC’S MISSION STATEMENT
We will take pride in the results of our commitment to a fair marketplace, achieved through innovation, enforcement and excellence in service.
OMVIC’s creation on January 7, 1997, marked the first time a regulated business sector had moved to self-management. Previously, Ontario’s motor vehicle dealer industry was regulated by the Ministry of Consumer and Commercial Relations (now the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services). OMVIC is a not-for-profit corporation governed by a 12-member Board of Directors. Registration with OMVIC is mandatory for all Ontario vehicle dealers (new and used) and salespeople.
OMVIC’S ONGOING OBJECTIVES
Consumer protection through pursuit of those who would prey on an unwary public;
- Dissemination of information concerning consumer rights and responsibilities via media relations, educational outreach and public information and awareness programs
- Compliance activities; and complaint conciliation
- Dealer professionalism through certification programs for new dealers and salespeople; ongoing information and education initiatives
- Increased accountability through administration of a Code of Ethics (CoE), Standards of Business Practice and a transparent disciplinary process
For further information on the organization please visit www.omvic.on.ca/
Job Title: Director, Investigations
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Direct Reports: 2
Location: Toronto, ON
The Director, Investigations is responsible for leading and administering the investigations department to ensure compliance to the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act (MVDA) while ensuring that investigators adhere to the Charter of Rights and Investigations Code of Ethics. This position represents the Registrar at hearings before the License Appeal Tribunal (LAT) and Discipline Panel and is a key resource for all staff regarding laws, rules of evidence, investigative techniques and enforcement generally.
- Provide strategic leadership and guidance to a team of highly skilled professionals.
- Participate with other Senior Managers in creating staff multi-year business plans and annual strategies, outlining objectives, planned initiatives and performance measures for investigations.
- Identify, evaluate and integrate opportunities for improvement in enforcement and investigative techniques and best practice.
- Develop, implement and maintain a risk-based strategy for all investigations as well as other vital policies review.
- Assist with legislative review projects and other corporate initiatives as necessary (i.e. Digital transformation).
- Responsible for planning and monitoring departmental budget.
- Public speaking to increase public awareness of OMVIC and to all internal and external stakeholders (i.e. Registrants, UCDA, Police, Insurance agencies etc.).
- Establish and maintain relationships with industry partners and law enforcement agencies.
- Provide leadership to manage investigation cases from intake, to assignment, to investigation and conclusion, ensuring that they are performed in accordance with the law, the Charter and Investigations Code of Ethics.
- Develop case management procedures for tracking of investigations and statistical reporting of cases and their disposition.
- Ensure investigations resources are utilized efficiently, and that investigators are properly equipped.
- Provide advice and guidance to investigative staff who work out of field offices across the Province.
- Review briefs and determine appropriate actions in conjunction with the Manager, Investigations.
- Devise and direct the delivery of investigations functions ensuring standards are met in an effective and timely manner.
- Monitor and assist the Manager, Investigations in the control of assignments.
- Liaise and monitor the Investigations function as it relates to Legal and the Prosecution team ensuring inter departmental proficiency.
- Advise OMVIC counsel on investigations and law enforcement matters generally.
- Testify as a representative of OMVIC at LAT and Discipline Hearings, as required.
- Excellent organizational, communication and decision-making skills, experience leading teams geographically dispersed across the province.
- A collegial approach and track record of achieving results through influence.
- Practical knowledge of the Criminal Code of Canada Evidence Act, Provincial Offences Act, Highway Traffic Act, Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, Consumer Protection Act, and Safety and Consumer Statutes and other related statutes as they apply to the activities of OMVIC (equivalencies may be considered).
- Experience in the investigation of offences.
- Education and experience in Major Case Management (Ministry of Solicitor General – Major Case Management Diploma or equivalent).
- Experience in enforcement administration and management.
- Superior analytical skills to analyze program requirements, predict future needs, resolve problems, and assess operational performance data.
- Oral and written communication skills to prepare and oversee the preparation of reports, prosecution briefs and correspondence; and make effective presentations and good judgment.
- High level of skill and familiarity with the use of technology to improve efficiency in the investigation process and completion of briefs.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate.
To explore this role in more detail, please contact:
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A001218 (AECJ-447548) Director, Investigations – Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) - ON - Toronto and GTA (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.