Director, Human Resources – The Little Potato Company
The Little Potato Company Ltd. (“LPC”) is a leading national food production company focused exclusively on the breeding, growing, and marketing of proprietary fresh Creamer potatoes. Founded in 1996, the company is a family owned and operated business guided by a clear vision and belief that millions of people are either not getting enough food or getting too much of the wrong food. The purpose at The Little Potato Company is “To Feed the World, Better” because they believe everyone, everywhere deserves to eat good, healthy food. It all starts with their little Creamer Potatoes – one of the most economical, energy efficient, and highly nutritious food crops available.
The company works with specialty breeders and growers to provide consistent, year-round supply of product from three first-class production facilities located in Edmonton, Alberta; Charlottetown, PEI; and DeForest, Wisconsin. Coveted by foodies and chefs alike, their exclusive colorful Creamers are available in top grocery retailers and food service operators across North America. They are a dynamic team that embraces diversity and unique differences, holding every employee in the highest regard, while fostering an award-winning workplace where health, safety and fun combine to create an environment where everyone feels like family.
- Importance of Family:We are a family-based Company and since our prime support comes from our family, we encourage a healthy work-life balance. We honor the place that family has in our employees’ lives.
- Go Beyond:We acknowledge that employees come to us with their own experience and resources. We support and encourage our employees to go beyond what they bring, beyond what they envision they can do, and certainly beyond a mere job description. We trust in our employees’ passion and creativity so that they can extend themselves not just for the company, but for themselves.
- Elevate Others:We are a diverse and inclusive work environment that embraces new ideas and ways of doing. When we enhance another by recognizing their skills and expertise we contribute to an overall feeling of worth.
- Down to Earth:We are approachable and recognize the common humanity of all. We do not pretend to be other than what we are. Whether we are in the office, in the plant, in the field or with a customer we are approachable, genuine and warm.
- Do What You Say:We walk our talk. Being honest and impeccable really means that we waste no time in pretending, glossing over, or making unfounded promises. We are reliable, accountable and our words communicate an actual reality.
For more information on The Little Potato Company, please visit: https://www.littlepotatoes.com/.
|Director, Human Resources|
|Reports to:||Executive Vice President Finance & Corporate Services|
|3; SR. HR Manager Canadian Operations, SR. HR Manager US Operations and HR Systems & Analytics Manager|
|4; Edmonton – Health & Safety and Environmental Manager, HR Business Partner, Deforest – Health and Safety And HR Business Partner|
The Director, Human Resources reports directly to the Executive Vice President Finance & Corporate Services and is a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT). As the senior most dedicated HR resource, the successful candidate will be responsible for the development and execution of the comprehensive HR strategy.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the successful candidate will foster and champion a high performing, values-based culture across all levels of the organization to support the continued growth and achievement of LPC’s goals. The Director, HR provides leadership and sets clearly defined expectations to ensure the successful implementation of all HR services across North American operations.
Strategic Leadership & Organization Performance:
- In collaboration with the Executive Vice President Finance & Corporate Services, develops the human resources strategic plan (3 and 5-year plans) including relative budget implications;
- Provides leadership and guidance to the Executive Leadership Team as it relates to human resource management activities to ensure alignment of human resources strategy with organizational strategy;
- Collaborates with the ELT on establishing key policies and procedures that align employee performance and behaviour with organizational goals and culture;
- Provides annual audit for the Recruitment and Talent Acquisition Programs, develops and presents annual plan to the ELT and SLT ensure company-wide consistency in program implementation; and
- Provides leadership and guidance to the Human Resource Management Team relative to company-wide organization design, annual strategic staffing plans, employee engagement, compensation, benefits, training and development, performance evaluation, employee relations and health safety programs.
People & Culture Leadership:
- Provides leadership in the design and implementation of LPC`s people strategies to enable a safe, engaged and high performing culture, based on strong company values;
- Provides leadership for supporting employees with meaningful communication relative to Human Resource programs, policies, practices and tools designed to equip individuals to be high performing within the organizational culture;
- Responsible for the development of the company strategic training plan to meet personal, professional and organizational needs of employees and drives talent development strategies through discussion with key stakeholders to identify competency gaps and develop appropriate learning and development solutions;
- Provides leadership across the organization to achieve a 90% success rate in the attraction and retention of A-players by following the Top Grading Hiring Methodology; and
- Responsible for the development and review of Career Development and Performance Development Plan to be completed by all supervisors to ensure there is a clear understanding for each employee relative to role expectations and expected outcomes.
Human Resources Operational Leadership:
- Provides oversight for the company-wide Health and Safety program, working with the Executive Vice President Agriculture & Operations, and through the HSE Team responsible for the implementation of safe work practices and guidelines, providing appropriate training and equipment and conducting regular safety audits to measure compliance;
- Collaborates with the Finance team to facilitate LPC’s budget and compensation planning process;
- Builds employee engagement in the organization by fostering a positive company culture through continually monitoring employee satisfaction and ensuring appropriate corrective measures are in place to make improvements; and
- Guides activities related to HR working with IT team to design, integrate and implement Human Resources Information Systems.
Recruitment and Talent Acquisition:
- In partnership with senior leaders, develop an overall Talent Acquisition Strategy, including both short and long-term talent requirements as it relates to the organizational strategic plan;
- Directs the talent acquisition team within the context of established guidelines, policies, practices and procedures utilized for all recruitment;
- Manages all recruitment efforts, including managing candidate pipeline of top-rate candidates through self-sourced candidates, employee referral programs, and external recruitment companies;
- On behalf of internal client requirements, manages the coordination of interview schedules, interview guidelines, established selection criteria and employee contracts to enable ease of execution during the recruitment process; and
- Provides continuous improvement analysis as it relates to recruitment strategies, including social media strategies, digital marketing, competency-based interview guides, internal talent acquisition strategies, employer value proposition and LPC branding.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Provides leadership in the development of the compensation strategy for the company providing recommendations of various programs related to salary structure, benefits, bonus programs, variable compensation designs (sales and commissions), and incentive programs based on competitiveness of Total Rewards Program industry standards;
- Manages the activities related to the annual salary review process through the provision of data related to historic salary and market competitiveness. If appropriate, include information on annual incentive program; and
- Conducts annual review of recognition programs to either add, modify, or remove.
- The Little Potato Company, is a family business and operates with a strong set of family values creating a strong company culture;
- Participate in a growing North American company, with an entrepreneurial spirit;
- The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to put their mark on developing the global Human Resources department; and
- Serve as a member for the Senior Leadership Team.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trusting, open, collaborative and respectful relationships throughout the organization with employees and management;
- In collaboration with the Executive Vice President Finance & Corporate Services develop and implement a leadership development program;
- In collaboration with the Executive Leadership Team build an organizational structure that supports the achievement of company goals;
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the current HR systems, policies & procedures, enhancing where necessary and ensuring all policies are understood and adhered to by all colleagues;
- Create a foundation whereby the Company’s leaders can deliver consistent Employee Engagement survey score improvements;
- Develop a succession plan for each department, giving a clear picture of steps needed to grow with the company; and
- Provide a clear recruitment plan for the company.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Undergraduate Degree, preferably in business or equivalent, with a specialty in Human Resource Management; and
- Certification in Chartered Professional in Human Recourses (CPHR) and/or The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is a definite asset.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a direct leadership role and 3 years’ experience in a Director role;
- A track record of success at the Senior Management level, including directing high performing management teams;
- Has previously led a company through organizational redesign;
- Experience in leading teams of 20+ employees;
- Experience and knowledge in the Manufacturing or Agri-food Sector an asset; and
- Experience leading teams across Canada and the US, a definite asset.
Competencies and Attributes
- Business Acumen: Understands all aspects of the business and how they are interconnected to achieve financial goals and objectives. Ability to sift through the ‘noise’ to focus on the key elements to lead a team to goal achievements.
- Communication: Demonstrates interpersonal communication and presentation skills to develop relationships with employees and management. Communicates information with consistency and clarity. Uses active listening techniques to effectively understand provided feedback.
- Cross-Cultural Skills: Ability to communicate with and effectively interact with people across cultures, creating a respectful workplace environment.
- Decision Quality: Good decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Making quality decisions while working in an environment where ambiguity and uncertainty are the norm. Opinions and leadership decisions are based on relevant facts and information.
- Develops Talent: Developing the team to meet both their career goals and Little Potato Company’s goals. Creating pools of people ready and willing to take on new challenges and step up when needed.
- Emotional Intelligence: The ability to recognize your own emotions and those of others, discern between different feelings and label them appropriately, use emotional information to guide thinking and behaviour. To manage and/or adjust emotions to adapt to environments or achieve goals. The ability to control and express your emotions, and to handle interpersonal relations with fairness and respect.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: An attitude and approach to thinking is to actively seek out change, rather than waiting to adapt to change. Mindset where you ask critical questions, innovate and want continuous improvement.
- Managing Change: Demonstrates support for innovation and for organization changes needed to improve the organizations effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring and implementing organizational change; helping other to successfully manage organization change.
- People Leadership: Ability to inspire and focus employees toward goal achievement. Demonstrates behaviors consistent with organizational values and demands same from others.
- Personal Credibility: Demonstrates concern that they are perceived as responsible, reliable and trustworthy. Respects the confidentiality of information or concerns shared by others. Demonstrates they are reliable and will has a moral compass that does not waver.
- Strategic: Fosters the development of a common vision providing clear direction and priorities and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Sets the tone for the organization`s culture and ensures succession in management and leadership by developing short and long-range plans that are comprehensive, creative, realistic and effective in meeting goals and objectives, and integrates planning efforts across functions.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AYHU-344025 Director, Human Resources – The Little Potato Company - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.