Director, Human Resources | e4c
During the mid-1960s, a group of reverends across four different faiths collaborated to discuss an array of social issues. A notable concern they shared was the well-being of individuals who were living in poverty in Edmonton’s inner city. Together, this group formed a non-faith based organization known as the Edmonton City Centre Church Corporation. Incorporated in 1970, the Edmonton City Centre Church Corporation’s mission was to make a positive, meaningful difference in the lives of people experiencing poverty.
Today, this group has evolved into e4c – a large non-profit organization that operates more than 20 distinct programs to meet the changing needs of the community. Today, e4c employs over 400 staff and touches the lives of over 19,100 Edmontonians each year. e4c continues to be guided by their compassion for the vulnerable. With the mission of supporting individuals in times of need, creating opportunities to be self-sufficient, responding to changing needs, and prioritization of service excellence, their ultimate goal is eliminating poverty in the Edmonton community.
Mission: To change lives and grow communities.
Vision: The elimination of poverty.
E4C’s Four Pillars of Support:
- Shelter & Housing
- Community & Collaboration
- Food Security
- Education & Skill Development
For further information about e4c, please visit their website at www.e4calberta.org
|Reports to:||Chief Executive Officer|
|Direct Reports:||HR Senior Advisor, HR Business Partner (2), HR Administrator (2), Learning & Development Advisor (2)|
The Director, Human Resources, will have primary responsibility for leading, managing and directing the human resources function to support the mission of e4c and its commitment to making meaningful change in the community with compassion and respect. Specifically, this role will provide senior-level Human Resource expertise by collaborating with staff to develop and implement standard practices and policies within the e4c Human Resources department, and monitoring the effectiveness and efficiency of these processes. Moreover, this role will play a central role in building a collaborative culture through its people-oriented programs, and by cultivating strong working relationships with staff. Finally, the Director, Human Resources will champion the e4c brand by leading the HR team to execute a variety of strategic and operational HR initiatives, as well as seek continuous improvement of best practices.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
Human Resource Team Leadership
- Oversees the development, implementation, and maintenance of HR programs, including employee relations, talent management, performance management and assessment, disability management, corrective action processes, formal appraisals, and comprehensive employee support programs;
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills including the ability to collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, persuade, and garner commitment from employees; develops and mentors others to be leaders; creates, supports, and leads by example to build a high-performance team and a positive work environment;
- Ensures quality and responsive HR services that support e4c’s mission;
- Establishes and monitors HR priorities and objectives, allocates necessary resources, coaches and manages staff performance, and provides training and development opportunities;
- Identifies the critical issues and risks to be mitigated in order to achieve effective implementation of people programs, policies, processes and practices; and
- Establish training procedures that are consistent with e4c’s values, and evaluate and monitor future training needs.
- Provides strategic feedback on the design and implementation of innovative HR policies, programs, and practices that will contribute to quality workplace experience, work-life balance, and wellbeing of staff;
- Establishes and maintains healthy relationships and partnerships across the organization;
- Works collaboratively with staff to ensure successful implementation of HR policies, programs, practices, and strategic goals; and
- Work alongside other senior leaders at e4c to monitor the impacts of Human Resource policies, and amend them when needed.
Strategic Continuous Improvement
- Maintains a keen awareness of the immediate and long-term needs of e4c as a whole;
- Establishes appropriate organizational structures, roles, responsibilities, systems, and processes to support employees and meet HR objectives; and
- Monitors and reports on performance metrics for HR objectives and utilizes information to make changes and to continuously improve HR performance.
Employee Branding, Engagement and Communication
- Ensure internal activities align with e4c’s values, culture, and ways of work;
- Lead initiatives connected to improved retention and engagement of staff, and monitor staff turnover;
- Administer employee recognition programs when appropriate; and
- Support staff in their roles by monitoring performance, rewarding successes, providing constructive feedback when appropriate, and documenting activities.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Establish streamlined HR processes, procedures, and policies that increase organizational efficiency and are aligned with e4c’s strategic plan;
- Elevate the organizational culture to be positive and collaborative; and
- Build strong, enduring, supportive relationships with staff across the organization, and advocate on behalf of their needs.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Undergraduate degree in social work, human resources, business, psychology or another related field;
- HR designation such as CPHR is considered an asset.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible Human Resource experience;
- 8+ years of senior leadership experience;
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector is considered an asset;
- Experience working with vulnerable populations is considered an asset;
- Broad knowledge and experience in organizational planning & development, HR strategy, HRMS, compensation & benefits, project management, coaching, counselling, and development.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Exhibits high levels of empathy for all individuals internal and external to the organization;
- Strong communication skills with an “open door” policy;
- Sees potential future states and takes into account “big picture” issues;
- Understands and utilizes the power of developing and maintaining a network of relationships to achieve goals;
- Builds strong partnerships internally and externally;
- Constantly seeks to achieve best practice;
- Exudes real engagement and passion for making a meaningful difference in the lives of people in need;
- Meticulous; ensures tasks and completed fully and accurately;
- Methodical approach to problem solving;
- Open and honest in dealing with others;
- Communicates appropriately with diverse audiences and stakeholder groups;
- Understands and accounts for others’ feelings;
- Effectively manages conflicting and competing priorities;
- Builds committed and collaborative teams based on trust;
- Can work effectively in groups, contributing and collaborating;
- Can adapt to changes in circumstances and uncertainty in the environment;
- Effectively engages and lead others through change, leveraging change management practices;
- Receives information openly and fully, taking account of informal and unspoken elements of communication;
- Manages talent effectively to achieve results;
- Strong business and HR acumen, including problem solving, critical thinking and self-initiative;
- Demonstrated ability to coach and develop staff using HR best practices; and
- Demonstrates understanding of others’ motivation and needs.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
e4c is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. e4c welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and e4c throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: HRCCCanada.GBS.EdmontonPIES@ajg.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ATGQ-004285 Director, Human Resources | e4c - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.