Director, Human Resources | ATCO Electric
ATCO Ltd. was founded in 1947 and is a publicly traded company on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: ACO) with a market capitalization of $4.8 billion and is headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
With approximately 6,200 employees and assets valued at $22 billion, ATCO is a diversified global corporation with investments in the essential services of:
- Structures & Logistics | workforce and residential housing, innovative modular facilities, construction, site support services, workforce lodging services, facility operations and maintenance, defense operations services, and disaster and emergency management services
- Utilities | electricity and natural gas transmission and distribution, and international electricity operations
- Energy Infrastructure | electricity generation, energy storage and industrial water solutions
- Retail Energy | electricity and natural gas retail sales
- Transportation | ports and transportation logistics
- Commercial Real Estate
For more information, please visit www.atco.com.
ATCO Electric, a business unit of Canadian Utilities Limited an ATCO Company (www.canadianutilities.com) delivers safe and reliable services to customers in all corners of Alberta, the Yukon and Northwest Territories. ATCO Electric owns and operates nearly half of Alberta’s integrated bulk transmission grid and their electric distribution services represent approximately 22% of Alberta’s total electrical distribution load. Over 1,200 employees working in this division are well-positioned to respond to customer service requests, maintain the reliability of our systems, and respond to emergencies.
ATCO Electric’s focus will be strategic investments that capture the key emerging trends of decarbonization, decentralization, digitalization, and evolving customer demand. With customers and policy makers looking for cleaner energy as well as affordability, safety, and reliability, ATCO Electric has an environment that requires maximizing their potential while simultaneously laying the groundwork for the utility of the future.
ATCO Electric is modernizing their grid to accommodate the proliferation of distributed energy resources (DERs), such as solar panels, battery storage, electric vehicles, and various forms of microgrids. This will ensure a sustainable, flexible grid and will enable a market for energy management services.
For further information about ATCO Electric, please visit their website at https://electric.atco.com/en-ca.html.
Vision: Delivering inspired solutions for a better world. Always there. Anywhere.
Integrity: We never break a promise, We do the right thing, We are transparent and respectful, We are ethical ,We hold ourselves and each other accountable
Agility: We stay relevant, We are agile, We innovate, We challenge the status quo, We reward action and learn from failure
Caring: We seek to understand, We care enough to challenge each other, We celebrate our successes, We care about communities and We care about each other
Collaboration: We are One ATCO, We communicate openly, We share our ideas and learn from our failures and successes, We value and encourage diversity and different perspectives, We work together to build bridges and strong networks
|2: President, ATCO Electric; and Vice President, Human Resources, ATCO|
ATCO Electric is a business unit of Canadian Utilities Limited an ATCO Company with a focus on finding solutions to decarbonize and meet the world’s energy demands. ATCO Electric is undertaking a strategic transformation to create a smart grid that not only supplies energy to customers but also utilizes energy produced by the customer, from their own distributed energy resources.
The Director, Human Resources will be joining the company at a pivotal time of their growth and strategic planning. Reporting to both the President of ATCO Electric and Vice President, Human Resources of ATCO, the Director, Human Resources will lead the Human Resources function for the ATCO Electric business unit and will lead the planning, development and execution of a comprehensive human resources and workforce development strategy.
As a member of the leadership team, the successful candidate will foster and champion a high performing, values-based culture. The Director, Human Resources will partner with and be supported by their colleagues from ATCO’s Human Resources Centres of Excellence and will focus on strategic human resources planning, talent strategies, succession, workforce development, performance management, talent acquisition and retention, compensation administration, employee relations and labour relations for ATCO Electric.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the President of ATCO Electric and the Vice President, Human Resources of ATCO , develop the human resources structure and strategic plan for ATCO Electric;
- Provide leadership and guidance to the ATCO Electric executive leadership team to ensure divisional alignment with ATCO’s people focus on developing organizational capacity, addressing skill gaps, attracting, and retaining talent and diversity equity and inclusion; and
- In collaboration with the President of ATCO Electric, develop a thorough workforce plan, talent acquisition and labour relations strategy.
- Build and maintain strong, collaborative and trusted relationships with the executive leadership team, management teams, and employees across the organization;
- Provide leadership and mentorship to the human resources team to ensure their continuous development and high performance;
- Build employee engagement in the organization by fostering a positive company culture through continually monitoring employee engagement and ensuring appropriate actions are in place to make improvements; and
- Build and maintain strong proactive, trusted relationships with union representatives.
Human Resource Leadership:
- Develop and manage innovative recruitment practices and procedures that improve the attraction and retention of employees;
- Oversee the labour relation strategy for ATCO Electric, remove obstacles for the Manager of Labour Relations, and keep the executive leadership team informed on all matters; and
- Optimize organizational structures, processes, and programs for the ATCO Electric business unit.
- Facilitates consistent application of HR policies and standard, employment standards, human rights and privacy legislation.
- Acts as the Privacy Officer for ATCO Electric.
- Partner’s with ATCO’s Centres of Excellence and Employee Resources Centre in aligning and managing global Company programs and initiatives.
- Key member of the Human Resources Senior Leadership Team.
- Join a team with a culture that truly lives and embodies their values of caring, integrity, agility, collaboration, safety and striving for excellence;
- The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to put their mark on developing the human resources department for ATCO Electric; and
- Contribute to a team that is purpose driven and truly makes a difference in people’s lives.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trusting, open, collaborative and respectful relationships throughout the organization with employees and leaders;
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the stakeholder environment, current strategy and the human resource needs now and into the future;
- Establish the Human Resources structure for ATCO Electric ;
- Develop and lead the human resources team in the successful execution of workforce development, talent acquisition and retention and succession strategies for ATCO Electric; and
- Develop a strong, trusting, and collaborative relationships with union representatives and support the Manager, Labour Relations in the development of a labour relations strategy to meet ATCO Electric’s future talent needs.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Undergraduate Degree, preferably in business or equivalent, with a specialty in Human Resource Management; and
- Chartered Professional Human Recourses (CPHR) certification.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in a Human Resources leadership role;
- Experience working in a unionized environment, preferably in an industrial setting;
- Experience within a regulated environment would be an asset.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Agile: Pays attention to the circumstance and adjusts accordingly. Demonstrates agility and responsiveness to external factors impacting business success.
- Business Acumen: Understands all aspects of the business and how they are interconnected to achieve financial goals and objectives. Ability to sift through the ‘noise’ to focus on the key elements to lead a team to goal achievement.
- Collaborative: Works with other team members in formal or informal groups in the pursuit of common mutual goals.
- Communication: Demonstrates interpersonal communication and presentation skills to develop relationships with employees and management. Communicates information with consistency and clarity. Uses active listening techniques to effectively understand feedback.
- Cross-Cultural Skills: Communicates and effectively interacts with people across cultures, fostering a respectful workplace environment.
- Decision Quality: Good decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Makes quality decisions while working in dynamic environment. Opinions and leadership decisions are based on relevant facts and information.
- Develops Talent: Develops the team to meet both their career goals and the organizations goals. Creates pools of people ready and willing to take on new challenges and step up when needed.
- Emotional Intelligence: The ability to recognize your own emotions and those of others, discern between different feelings and label them appropriately, use emotional information to guide thinking and behaviour. To manage and/or adjust emotions to adapt to environments or achieve goals. The ability to control and express your emotions, and to handle interpersonal relations with fairness and respect.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: An attitude and approach to thinking is to actively seek out change to progress forward. Mindset where you ask critical questions, innovate, and want continuous improvement.
- Humble: Celebrates team wins and successes. Checks ego at the door. Willingly provides and receives feedback and coaching.
- Managing Change: Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the effectiveness. Initiates, sponsors, champions, and successfully implements change. Helps others to successfully manage organizational change.
- People Leadership: Ability to inspire and focus employees toward achieving goals. Demonstrates behaviors consistent with organizational values and demands same from others.
- Personal Credibility: Demonstrates concern that they are perceived as responsible, reliable, and trustworthy. Respects the confidentiality of information or concerns shared by others. Demonstrates they are reliable and has a moral compass that does not waver.
- Strategic: Fosters the development of a common vision providing clear direction and priorities and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Sets the tone for the organization`s culture and ensures succession in management and leadership by developing short and long-range plans that are comprehensive, creative, realistic and effective in meeting goals and objectives, and integrates planning efforts across functions.
ATCO Electric is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. ATCO Electric welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and ATCO Electric throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ALYF-100335 Director, Human Resources | ATCO Electric - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.