Director Housing – Homeward Trust
Homeward Trust Edmonton (HTE) is a not-for-profit organization charged with ending homelessness in our City. Their efforts are guided by community need and priorities as outlined in A Place to Call Home: Edmonton’s Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness. HTE has a dynamic work environment, filled with high-energy, dedicated, and passionate people.
Homeward Trust coordinates and provides resources for local efforts that address homelessness and its devastating impacts on individuals, families, and communities. They work with agencies, neighbourhoods, mainstream systems, community members, and all orders of government in pursuit of this singular objective, grounded in the belief that we can and will end homelessness in Edmonton. Homeward Trust is proud that our community is recognized both nationally and internationally as a leader in this work.
HTE embraces the Housing First philosophy. This philosophy follows the principles of finding housing accommodations first, and then establishing the supports required by the client to remain in a home. Homeward Trust Edmonton’s programs involve both housing (capital project funding, property management and sourcing access to new or existing units for client use) and supportive services to individuals in or seeking access to housing programs.
For further information visit: http://homewardtrust.ca/
Job Title: Director, Housing Development
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Three (3): Property Manager (X2) and Property Development Coordinator
Indirect Reports: Five (5)
Location: Edmonton, AB
The Director, Housing Development will inspire a high-performing team in the delivery and access of new housing units in the community to meet targets identified in “Edmonton’s Plan to Prevent and End homelessness” and bridge other gaps identified through community planning. The Director champions the appropriate management and sustainability of both current and future housing projects.
The successful candidate will:
- proactively pursue funding and development of sustainable and viable housing projects that meet targets identified in current plans;
- facilitate planning for housing projects including addressing barriers via collaboration with proponents, and community stakeholders; and
- ensure land and housing projects (units) managed or maintained by Homeward Trust are done so at the highest possible standard.
The Director, Housing Development creates and maintains sustainable, positive working relationships with property owners, developers and other diverse stakeholders inside and outside of the housing and homelessness sector. The Director ensures projects and services provide optimal housing solutions that maximize outcomes for target clients, property owners, and other vested parties. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is a member of the Senior Management Team.
- In conjunction with the CEO and Senior Management Team, participate in the annual Strategic Planning process and the development of the annual Edmonton Community Service Plan; and
- Work collaboratively with community stakeholders in implementation and advancement of the Community Plan and meeting the objectives of the annual HTE work plan; and
- Represent Homeward Trust externally on committees, meetings, conferences, symposiums, workshops and the like, as requested and when necessary.
- Under the direction of the CEO, seek development opportunities by identifying sites (which may include land or building purchase), predevelopment packaging and developing strategic partnerships;
- Facilitate the purchase process for identified land and buildings; and
- Provide advice internally and externally on projects intended to meet the housing needs identified in Edmonton’s Plan to End and Prevent Homelessness.
- Facilitate capital funding request processes to ensure applications are reviewed appropriately, due diligence is completed, and evaluation/approval recommendations are documented for submission to the Project Review Committee, Indigenous Advisory Council and Board of Directors;
- Work collaboratively with the CEO and other senior staff to facilitate applications for Indigenous housing and solicit feedback on projects intended to serve Indigenous community members; and
- Analyze capital and operating budgets, liaising with all stakeholders during project planning and execution.
- Oversee property management functions and operating budgets, ensuring adherence to legislation, regulations, professional standards and health/safety requirements for owned and administered properties; and
- Participate in monitoring of funded projects and mitigate risks related to project maintenance and tenant issues.
- Ensure procedures and controls reflect fiduciary integrity and due diligence for contract administration;
- Under the guidance of the CEO, develop work plans and budgets to support housing programs administration; and
- Prepare regular briefings & reports on program progress and outcomes as requested by the CEO, including materials for Board of Directors meetings.
- Inspire the team to achieve HTE’s goal of ending homelessness in Edmonton by providing a compelling vision and providing strong leadership;
- Foster a creative and strategic approach to communications, marketing, government relations & public relations delivery;
- Illuminate a path to success for team members by establishing core competencies, key performance indicators and personal development goals; and
- Exemplify HTE’s core values.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Understand the higher-level purpose of HTE’s work through research and understanding of the supported housing landscape and HTE’s alignment to the initiatives of all levels of government;
- Develop strong, transparent and collaborative relationships with funders, the development community, Indigenous community and other stakeholders;
- Build a business plan for all housing entities within the Homeward Trust corporate structure;
- Apply for and obtain capital funding for two projects;
- Lead community engagement initiatives to successfully navigate through challenges, with the goal of getting shovels in the ground;
- Audit and evaluate property management processes and clarify the Housing team’s roles to improve efficiency and effectiveness, reduce arrears and increase cost recovery from tenants.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Degree, diploma or certification in related disciplines such as finance, planning, business, land development and/or real estate is required.
- Minimum 8 years of progressively senior management experience in housing development, property management, or related capacities;
- Experience in developing and analyzing capital and operating budgets;
- Experience managing complex projects with multiple vested stakeholder interests, preferably in or with the community-based sector is preferred;
- Experience liaising with various levels of government, preferably in a funding and/or program development/implementation capacity is an asset; and
- Prior work in the not for profit industry is an asset.
Competencies and Attributes
- Knowledge of land and real estate development practices and understanding of residential property management;
- Strong leadership skills, able to build and manage teams, as well as interact effectively with management peers and executives;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to engage with stakeholders of diverse and, at times, competing interests to work towards achieving a common agenda;
- Understanding of business processes associated with non-profits and government, as well as the oversight of contracted services to achieve program outcomes;
- Excellent time and resource management skills, with the ability to lead and drive change; and
- Models the following leadership characteristics:
- A Role Model for the Organization – exemplifies the values and principles of Homeward Trust Edmonton in a senior leadership capacity both internally and externally. Demonstrates maturity, professionalism, discretion and reliable judgment.
- Focused on Results – understands what is important to clients, partners, employees and stakeholders, and is committed to achieving goals. Tenacious approach to delivery, quality of output and success of assigned functions, and Homeward Trust as a whole.
- Inspires Confidence –establishes credibility, respect and builds strong working relationships with senior management, employees, and external stakeholders. Works in a collaborative and solutions focused manner to achieve outcomes that align best with the needs of our clients and our organizational objectives.
- Demonstrates Passion and Integrity- approaches all tasks in an enthusiastic way. Committed to upholding professional standards. Sincere in own behavior and in dealings with others.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AQVV-000751 Director Housing – Homeward Trust - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.