Director, Corporate Information & Technology- WZR Development ULC
WZR Development ULC. (“WZR”) is a Calgary-based, international natural resources company engaged in acquiring properties and exploring for, developing and producing crude oil and natural gas.
WZR holds an 80% working interest in the Kurdamir Production Sharing Contract (“PSC”) and a 40% working interest in the Garmian PSC with the Kurdistan Regional Government in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Independently audited resource reports estimate the blocks contain prospective resources of 1.2 billion barrels of oil equivalent.
For further information about WZR, please visit their website at www.westernzagros.com.
Job Title: Director, Corporate Information & Technology
Reports to: Managing Director Exploration
Direct Reports: IT Helpdesk Support Consultant
Indirect Reports: Management of Project Managers as required and is responsible for the input and recommendations regarding hiring of IT personnel and specialist consultants
Travel is primarily local during the business day although some international travel will be expected, including travel to Kurdistan. It is estimated that first-year travel could be in order of 2-3 months
As Director, Corporate Information & Technology of WZR Developments ULC, you will be primarily responsible for planning, developing, directing and controlling the overall activities required for effective and efficient information technology and information management to support the attainment of the Company’s business objectives on a cost-effective basis. This will include the Company’s offices in Calgary and in future operating jurisdictions, including multiple remote operations and camp locations.
- Provide leadership to the Company’s management team on business systems solutions and information technology, including communications and information management, from specific individual needs through to departmental and corporate level requirements for an international, multiple jurisdiction organization. Proactively seek out ways to improve value, response, security, availability and effectiveness of all aspects of IT for the benefit of the Company.
- Develop a strategy that supports the building of an IT organization that supports the international “in-country” (Kurdistan) operations as well as developing long-range planning to build an IT group for a future office in Dubai.
- Design, implement, and evaluate the systems that support end users in the productive use of computer hardware and software including development and implementation of relevant IT policies and procedures and user-training programs. Ensure compliance with all policies, standards and procedures for the IT and information management functions, including compliance with all PSC requirements.
- Establish the appropriate level of resources and provide leadership, development and direction to the IT and information management teams ensuring the highest level of business user engagement and delivery of solutions and services in Calgary and Kurdistan on a cost-effective basis.
- Develop and manage the annual IT budget and recommend revisions as required throughout the year based on new and modified business activities in the Company.
- Build relationships with external and key business and technical leaders in the Company to help ensure a current and thorough understanding of the needs for and issues with information technology and management.
- Manage service providers and maintain quality control of their activities.
- Provide functional management and expertise to the Kurdistan and Calgary IT Technical Managers, including recurring trips to Kurdistan or other international locations as necessary to become familiar with local IT needs and operations and to gain a solid understanding of the Company’s business activities in Kurdistan.
- Provide regular and pertinent reporting of IT activities in Calgary and operating jurisdictions to the Company’s management.
- Participate in executive management team (EMT) meetings, as required for approvals, operating budgets, etc.
- Represent the Company and maintain appropriate relationships, as required or desirable, to foster the best interests of the Company with customers, partners, key technology vendors and service providers and competitors.
- Other IT projects and initiatives as required to support the Company’s business plans and growth.
- Ensure an effective overall information systems strategy is in place across the Company by implementing and managing multiple information and communications systems and projects, including voice, data, video conferencing, imaging, and office automation. Such solutions are to be cost effective and location appropriate, with specific consideration to the field and Kurdistan in-country requirements. Provide infrastructure and information architecture to facilitate information sharing between Canada and operations.
- Provide overall guidance for the efficient build-out of services and back office equipment (firewalls, phone systems, internet feeds, etc.) to meet business needs, including secure and effective data management.
- Ensure that adequate access security and monitoring processes are in place to protect and safeguard the company’s valuable data assets. Develop and maintain appropriate fallback facilities.
- Overall management of desktop support and the ongoing maintenance of infrastructure, including management of third-party service providers, vendors, suppliers and IT security and ensuring that the Company’s business needs are met on a seamless and cost-effective basis for a multi-jurisdictional, 24-hour operation.
- Manage the development, recommendation and implementation of an information management strategy and processes that meets the Company’s requirements, including the key factors of data security, data retention, fit for purpose, capacity for growth in the business, accommodation for multiple locations and ease of use.
- Develop corporate information policies and procedures, including data classification, data access rights and permissions, data archiving, data transmittals, and a contractor data management policy, for review and approval by the EMT and effective implementation throughout the organization.
- Develop and implement information retention policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement training programs to ensure staff are knowledgeable and compliant with the Corporate IT and IM policies.
- Join an organization that is positioned for growth internationally.
- Play the lead role in planning, developing, directing and effective IT organization from the ground up.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Assess the Company’s overall IS & IT systems to ensure an overall strategy is in place to ensure attainment of the Company’s business objectives on a cost-effective basis.
- Develop the strategic infrastructure and support plans for current and future operating jurisdictions, including multiple remote operations and camp locations.
- Ensure near 100% uptime of mission-critical applications.
- Develop a data governance strategy and implementation process.
- Develop and implement an IT training program.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 10-15 of related experience in the management of information technology in the oil and gas industry.
- Experience in supporting remote and challenging international locations strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with Windows, O365, and security software is desired.
- Experience with Azure is preferred.
Competencies and Attributes
- Thorough understanding of the unique information technology and communication needs in an international junior oil and gas exploration company.
- Strong commercial knowledge and a broad understanding of computing/communications technology and current market trends.
- Knowledge of key IT Best Practices including Data and Documents Management, Service Management, Project Management, or equivalent.
- Results-oriented, with the ability to navigate some ambiguity.
- Sound project management expertise in all aspects of information technology and management in corporate and field operations settings.
- Viewed as an effective business partner in collaborating with and supporting all departments in an organization to attain their business objectives.
- Flexible to handle IT demands of an international organization with 24-hour operations.
- Displayed characteristics of the organizational culture which is ethics, integrity, honesty, trust, teamwork and collegiality.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, communications and cross-cultural skills.
- Ability to prioritize and plan workloads and meet competing deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment of an international junior oil and gas company.
- Demonstrated record of diligence and attention to detail working with very high standards both personally and technically.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and business needs with innovative solutions.
- Self-motivated with a high level of enthusiasm and energy, coupled with a strong work ethic and genuine pride in work.
- Must have a commitment to the vision, mission and management philosophy that supports dignity and respect throughout the organization.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ATYY-103173 Director, Corporate Information & Technology- WZR Development ULC - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.