Director, Construction Services
Born in Southern Alberta, Lance Torgerson is very well connected throughout the province of Alberta and has strong family roots throughout Western Canada. An entrepreneur at heart, Lance was the successful founder/owner of Noralta Lodge, a remote workforce accommodation supplier. This was a business he owned for a total of 21 years before it was acquired by Civeo in 2018.
Currently, Lance is the Owner and Chairman of a retirement/seniors living business which has operations in British Columbia and Alberta. His intention is to repeat the same successful growth story he experienced with Noralta in this new business venture.
DIRECTOR, CONSTRUCTION SERVICES
Reports to: Lance Torgerson
Location: Edmonton, Alberta or Kelowna, BC
Reporting to the holding company owner, Lance Torgerson, the Director, Construction Services will be responsible for all commercial low-rise and multi-family residential construction and project management needs. The Director, Construction Services will ensure the delivery of projects is on time, on budget, and maintains high-quality standards. The successful candidate must enjoy being autonomous. He / she will be a self-starter, hands on and possess exceptional relationships with subcontractors in the marketplace (Alberta/ British Columbia).
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Assist in the pre-purchase evaluation of land suitability for new or expansion projects;
- Arrange for any site surveys, soils testing, environmental testing necessary to confirm site preparation costs or impact on construction details, schedule and cost;
- Assist in the preparation of facility design and costing for the development;
- Lead monthly or scheduled meetings of Construction Services Department team to review Department initiatives, priorities, upcoming projects, progress on existing projects, project schedules, contractor performance, consultants’ performance, subcontractor performance, safety performance, etc.;
- Demonstrate an expert level of knowledge and understanding of various construction delivery methods, project management systems and processes, scheduling, project cost management, building codes and environmental standards, regulatory requirements, as well as seniors care housing requirements, etc.;
- Prepare project scope of services requests for proposals from architectural and/or engineering consultants. Pre-qualify consultants prior to their invitation to bid. Prepare an evaluation of competitive proposals and solicit any clarifications or confirmations necessary to ensure scope of work is fully covered;
- Procure any necessary development permits in a timely fashion to confirm project scope and details meets development guidelines;
- Prepare cash flow schedules for each project prior to construction start with appropriate documentation and manage/measure results against the forecasts;
- Review project progress results with the contractor, compare them to established objectives, and initiate appropriate and timely measures are taken to correct unsatisfactory results;
- Make business decisions based on a cost/benefit analysis and in consideration of constraints and resources;
- Conduct and participate in the orientation, training and mentoring for all new Construction Services Department staff; and
- Ensure the corporate values / standards of business conduct / human resource philosophy is understood, embraced and implemented throughout the Department; and personally, demonstrate them in daily interactions and relationships.
The successful candidate will have the following:
Education & Experience
- Degree in Civil Engineering (preferred) or Construction Engineering Technology;
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in commercial or institutional construction with a general contractor;
- Experience managing multiple construction projects with varying degrees of complexity simultaneously;
- Project Management experience with 3-6 story buildings in wood frame, light steel, and modular or pre-fab construction;
- Experience using various project management technology platforms for the construction industry; and
- Managed new construction projects and major renovations projects ranging in size from $1M to $30M.
Competencies & Attributes
- Thorough knowledge of construction methods and project management fundamentals;
- Strong business acumen with the ability to think critically and analytically;
- Advanced understanding of all construction trades, safety and construction techniques;
- An excellent understanding and foundation of experience regarding job costing, cost control measures and detailed budgeting;
- An engaging and friendly personality;
- Adept at developing internal processes related to construction/project management;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Highly effective negotiation, diplomacy, and conflict resolution skills;
- Strong relationship development and management;
- Results oriented and forward thinking;
- Positive attitude and a dedicated and committed team player;
- Self-determined and motivator;
- Ability to think quickly and make sound decisions; and
- A passion for commercial construction and desire to yield exceptional results.
A competitive compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AXCL-835683 Director, Construction Services - AB - Edmonton and AreaBC - Kelowna (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.