Director, Communications and Marketing – University Hospital Foundation
Established in 1962 and governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees, the University Hospital Foundation (the Foundation or UHF) has evolved into one of the most successful healthcare fundraising organizations in Canada, having achieved “high performer” status through the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy’s (AHP) Performance Benchmarking Service. The Foundation values the opportunity to compare itself to its peers, and consistently seeks to improve efficiencies and impact.
The Foundation strives to ensure that donations make the most significant impact possible and gives donors confidence that their donations are wisely spent through comprehensive, transparent financial reporting.
The University of Alberta Hospital site is renowned for many areas of specialization which include central and northern Alberta’s only Level 1 trauma centre; world class brain and heart care programs; one of only two dedicated burn units in Canada; and Canada’s busiest multi-transplant program. Donor gifts to the University Hospital Foundation support advancements in patient care, fund innovative clinical research and education, and help purchase advanced medical technology that leads to faster and more accurate diagnosis and treatment.
The University Hospital Foundation works closely with the leadership teams at the University Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute, and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic (all located in Edmonton).
As the University Hospital Foundation’s current fundraising focus, the Brain Centre Campaign has raised over $50 million to date, taking brain care at the University of Alberta Hospital to a dynamic new level. With the Foundation’s recent announcement that Wayne Gretzky has joined the Brain Centre Campaign Team as Honourary Chair, the opportunity and profile of this campaign will continue to expand. The ongoing success of the campaign will result in a Brain Centre of national stature in Edmonton.
For further information on the University Hospital Foundation, please visit: www.GiveToUHF.ca.
Job Title: Director, Communications and Marketing
Reports to: Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Direct Reports: Communications Assistant
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The University Hospital Foundation seeks a mission-focused Director, Communications & Marketing who is passionate about working for an organization that is committed to advancing the health of Albertans. The successful candidate will inspire a high-performing team to drive a creative and integrated communications marketing, digital media and program in support of raising donor dollars.
The successful candidate will engage staff, peers, stakeholders, and external agency partners, in order to best understand the complexity of the Foundation. Collaborative by nature, the Director, Communications and Marketing will work closely with the Vice President, Marketing & Communications and will exemplify a “one team” mentality.
The Foundation seeks an individual who is strategic, collaborative, visionary, creative, engaging, inspiring and results-focused to achieve the goals and objectives of the team. Additionally, they seek a passionately curious leader who demonstrates a bias to action, and a commitment to a positive organizational culture.
Communications & Marketing:
- Contribute to the development, and be accountable for the execution, of a creative, high impact communication and marketing strategy in alignment with the Foundation’s key strategic priorities to achieve fundraising goals;
- Identify opportunities to elevate awareness and brand recognition with key stakeholders across all three hospital sites (University of Alberta Hospital, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and Kaye Edmonton Clinic);
- Work in alignment with key stakeholders within Alberta Health Services and the University of Alberta Hospital site to drive and transform the UHF brand to better represent and articulate the Foundation’s vision;
- Liaise with and project manage internal and external marketing resources to drive performance and expand the donor base;
- Measure the impact of marketing initiatives, especially as it relates to donor engagement;
- Integrate data analytics to drive higher impact programs;
- In collaboration with the VP Marketing and Communications, champion the development of crisp, well-researched and relevant key messages;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan, in conjunction with the VP Marketing and Communications, which establishes clear goals for the communications team, a strategy to increase affinity to the Foundation and a plan to increase cross-functional collaboration across the organization;
- Contribute to building and sustaining a culture of philanthropy that supports new program development and initiatives; and
- Support the expansion of the planned giving program.
- Inspire the team to achieve the Foundation’s vision of becoming the Canadian leader in healthcare philanthropy that ‘passionately engages the community’;
- Effectively collaborate with senior staff and volunteers demonstrating an ability to work at all levels within a research-intensive hospital environment;
- Exercise discretion and good judgment in representing the Foundation;
- Provide coaching and mentorship to a high performing team of communicators.
- Foster a strategic and creative approach to marketing and communications delivery;
- Illuminate a path to success for team members by establishing core competencies, key performance indicators and personal development goals regularly reporting progress to the leadership team; and
- Exemplify a culture of coaching and performance excellence to continually develop team capacity.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Firmly establish herself or himself as a trusted advisor to the Vice President, related to overall management of the communications team;
- Develop new and enhance existing relationships with key stakeholders within the Foundation, with Alberta Health Services and external contractors;
- Create a comprehensive annual communications plan inclusive of government and Alberta Health Services relations, communications projects such as press conferences, public relations campaigns and the annual report, and brand awareness through advertising, social media and direct communications;
- Build a brand in the community that reflects an increase in engagement with strategic partners;
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications, public relations or equivalent.
- Minimum eight years’ of progressively responsible communications experience with exposure to public, government and media relations;
- Minimum five years’ experience leading a team;
- Proven ability to manage projects from inception through to high performance execution, including the creation and maintenance of appropriate documentation
- A track record of success navigating a complex multi-stakeholder environment;
- Keen understanding of budgeting processes and data management;
- Previous experience working within a philanthropic organization or with a fundraising team considered an asset;
- Previous experience in the healthcare sector considered an asset;
- Knowledge of the University of Alberta Hospital considered an asset; and
- Association of Fundraising Professionals or Association of Healthcare Philanthropy membership is an asset.
*A combination of relevant education and experience will be considered*
Competencies and Attributes
- Possesses superior interpersonal skills;
- Possesses excellent project management capacity and ability to be flexible to change;
- Demonstrates an outgoing, positive, group-win approach and a willingness to learn, teach and share;
- Exemplifies excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates professionally maturity, resourcefulness and self-discipline in engaging in the pursuit of the Foundation’s goals;
- Demonstrates exceptional influencing, tact and diplomacy skills;
- Thinks strategically and creatively about developing plans of action and following through;
- Possesses a high attention to detail, superior organization skills, and a commitment to follow through and quality completion on multiple projects concurrently;
- Demonstrates presence, self-confidence, sound judgment, and superior problem-solving ability; and
- Willing and available to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
Please follow the link to complete a Culture Index Survey, which will help the Foundation get to know you better and assess your fit for this position.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AOGX-411842 Director, Communications and Marketing – University Hospital Foundation - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.