Director, Business Technology Operations – Alberta Investment Management Corporation
AIMCo is one of Canada’s largest and most diversified investment managers, with approximately $100 billion of assets under management for 32 clients, a diverse group of Alberta public sector pension plans, endowment funds, and government accounts representing all Albertans. Their culture is defined by their core values: Excellence, Transparency, Humility, Integrity, and Collaboration, along with their vision “Enriching the lives of Albertans by building prosperity, security, and opportunity across generations”.
AIMCo seeks to be a destination organization, attracting individuals with widely varying work experience from across North America and around the globe. With more than forty languages spoken and a majority of the world’s cultures represented, AIMCo is a truly global corporation. They employ those worldly insights to make the best investment decisions for their clients, bringing local knowledge to the most far reaching opportunities for their clients.
Job Title: Director, Business Technology Operations
Reports to: Vice President, Business Technology
Location: Edmonton, AB
The Director, Business Technology Operations is responsible for leading and managing the Business Technology Operations team which is comprised of approximately 40 specialized finance and technology specialists. This team supports AIMCo’s investment management solutions and core IT infrastructure.
The Director is required to bring a strong business orientation and understanding of the highly complex and sophisticated needs for software applications supporting trading activities, investment administration and back office business functions for AIMCo. They will also be responsible for setting the vision and strategic direction for the Business Technology Operations department and contributing to the overall Business Technology strategy. This includes providing leadership and direction in the development of the application and integration architecture and ensuring that technology roadmaps align and match the needs of the business.
- Establishing and executing strategic plans and initiatives for the Business Technology Operations department;
- Providing direction and leadership to the team, developing and implementing key objectives, monitoring progress, making recommendations and contributing to client service delivery;
- Developing recommendations towards the annual operating plan and budget;
- Vendor management and negotiations across a multitude of software and hardware service vendors;
- Influencing policy decisions and providing strategic input regarding the implications of these decisions on technology and the needs of the business;
- Providing oversight of the quality assurance and service management functions;
- Ensuring the day-to-day operations of the investment solutions under management (including AIMCo’s overnight NAV process);
- Encouraging and actively supporting the development of strong leadership and technical skills to build bench strength within Business Technology; and
- Developing a culture of excellence and pushing the organization towards becoming World Class.
- Maturing and running the IT infrastructure environment and operations
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Continue stabilization efforts driving towards 99.9% systems availability;
- Move to a fully automated QA and System Testing environment;
- Drive value by showing systems can be delivered faster and with greater efficiency; and
- Quickly familiarize with AIMCo’s technology stack and successfully manage the day-to-day systems operations,
The successful candidate will have the following:
- University Degree or Masters in Information Technology or related discipline;
- MBA or Graduate level degree in Finance would be considered an asset; and
- Knowledge/training in foundational investment management
- Extensive knowledge in SDLC and development methodologies (Agile, Waterfall, RUP, Hybrid, etc.);
- Experience managing technology infrastructure and core applications 24/7;
- Extensive knowledge in technology stack (server, storage, network) and experienced in future state strategy and consulting;
- Demonstrated knowledge of Project Management Methodologies (PMBOK, Prince2, etc.);
- Experience managing data centre and office moves
- In-depth understanding of software integration and object-oriented design principles;
- Practical application of quality assurance frameworks and methodologies;
- Must have experience running a core technology environment that includes ITIL (incident, problem management and release management);
- Experience running multi-disciplined, multi-location resource models; and
- Prior work experience within a financial investment business or institution is preferred.
Competencies and Attributes
- Capacity to function in a rapidly changing environment and lead teams through changing priorities in a progressive, position and as-organized manner as possible;
- Seasoned problem solving and negotiating skills;
- Natural leadership skills and the ability to guide, direct and achieve results; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a full appreciation for leading and communicating to a highly skilled and diverse team.
A competitive compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AGBM-536253 Director, Business Technology Operations – Alberta Investment Management Corporation - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.