Director, Annual Giving – University Hospital Foundation
Established in 1962 and governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees, the University Hospital Foundation (the Foundation or UHF) has evolved into one of the most successful healthcare fundraising organizations in Canada, having achieved “high performer” through the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy’s (AHP) Performance Benchmarking Service. The Foundation values the opportunity to compare itself to its peers, and consistently seeks to improve efficiencies and impact.
The Foundation strives to ensure that donations make the most significant impact possible and gives donors confidence that their donations are wisely spent through comprehensive, transparent financial reporting.
The University of Alberta Hospital site is renowned for many areas of specialization which include central and northern Alberta’s only Level 1 trauma centre; world class brain and heart care programs; one of only two dedicated burn units in Canada; and Canada’s busiest multi-transplant program. Donor gifts to the University Hospital Foundation support advancements in patient care, fund innovative clinical research and education, and help purchase advanced medical technology that leads to faster and more accurate diagnosis and treatment.
The University Hospital Foundation works closely with the leadership teams at the University Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute, and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic (all located in Edmonton).
As the University Hospital Foundation’s current fundraising focus, the Brain Centre Campaign has raised over $50 million to date, taking brain care at the University of Alberta Hospital to a dynamic new level. With the Foundation’s recent announcement that Wayne Gretzky has joined the Brain Centre Campaign Team as Honourary Chair, the opportunity and profile of this campaign will continue to expand. The ongoing success of the campaign will result in a Brain Centre of national stature in Edmonton.
For further information on the University Hospital Foundation, please visit: www.GiveToUHF.ca.
Job Title: Director, Annual Giving
Reports to: Vice President, Strategic Partnerships
Direct Reports: 3: Annual Giving Officer, Annual Giving Coordinator (x2)
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The University Hospital Foundation believes in the power of generosity to save and change lives. The Foundation raises funds to ensure patients at the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic have access to the latest advancements in medical technology and innovative patient care. As a result of very generous individuals and community support, the Foundation has raised more than $187 million in the last 10 years to support patient care, advanced technology and clinical research.
Reporting to the Vice President, Strategic Partnerships, the successful candidate will apply their exceptional leadership, relationship building and project management skills to elevate the Foundation’s Annual Giving Program. The successful candidate will develop and implement a comprehensive annual giving plan encompassing direct mail, monthly giving, grateful patient giving, donor acquisition activities, third party/community events, golf tournaments, tribute giving and leadership annual giving. Playing a key role in pipeline development for the Foundation, this permanent full-time position positively contributes to the success of all philanthropic activities of the University Hospital Foundation.
- Accountable for the full cycle execution of all annual giving programs including direct marketing (mail and digitally) pipeline development, relationship management, stewardship and recognition;
- Maintain understanding of the health and attrition of the donor base to support data integrity and analysis of donor data;
- Ensure digital integration alignment across all annual giving platforms;
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships with consultants and key external stakeholders;
- Build and increase support for the Foundation by actively being involved in the community and meeting with potential and current annual giving donors; and
- Deliver and report on specific annual giving goals and priorities.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive annual giving plan, in conjunction with the VP Strategic Partnerships, to elevate the direct mail, monthly giving and grateful patient (Champions of Care) programs;
- Contribute to building and sustaining a culture of philanthropy that supports new program development and initiatives;
- Identify opportunities and execute strategies to grow the mid-level donor segment in support of all the Foundation’s philanthropic activities; and
- Position the Foundation as a leader in annual giving across the philanthropic sector by ensuring the Foundation is aligned with industry trends and best practices.
- Effectively collaborate with senior staff and volunteers demonstrating an ability to work at all levels within a research-intensive hospital environment;
- Provide mentorship and coaching to the annual giving team in alignment with the Foundation’s culture of professional development;
- Exemplify a collaborative approach to annual giving celebrating wins across the Foundation;
- Establish performance metrics, drive the team to results and regularly report progress to the leadership team; and
- Exercise discretion and good judgment in representing the Foundation.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Firmly establish herself or himself as a trusted advisor to the Vice President, related to overall management of the annual giving team;
- Develop, implement and support the achievement of defined goals and objectives for direct reports;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive Annual Giving Plan that encompasses:
- A plan to increase the number of Leadership Annual gifts ($1,000 – $10,000) by 50%;
- An approach to expanding the qualified donor pipeline;
- A method to increase community engagement through the attraction of new community events; and
- Actively participate in securing annual gifts and maintain an individual portfolio of 50+ meaningful donor relationships at the leadership giving level.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree; and
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation or commitment to obtain CFRE designation within first year (where possible) of employment.
- Minimum five years’ of progressively responsible fundraising experience and a proven record of successful management of annual giving programs;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience leading a team;
- Solid knowledge of ethical principal and best practices relating to fundraising;
- Previous experience and familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or equivalent donor database management systems and Microsoft Office suite;
- Keen understanding of budgeting processes and data management;
- Knowledge of Canada Revenue Agency, Federal and Provincial laws as they pertain to charitable work;
- Direct marketing expertise will be considered;
- Previous experience with membership-based organizations will be considered;
- Knowledge of the University of Alberta Hospital considered an asset; and
- Association of Fundraising Professional or Association of Healthcare philanthropy membership considered an asset.
*A combination of relevant education and experience will be considered*
Competencies and Attributes
- Embodies the philanthropic spirit;
- A demonstrated ability to connect with and understand the interests of donors/members;
- Conveys a high degree of comfort in identifying, contacting and developing new leadership annual gift prospects;
- Possesses superior interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrates an outgoing, positive, group-win approach and a willingness to learn, teach and share;
- Exemplifies excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Successfully manages multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with a high attention to detail;
- Demonstrates professionally maturity, resourcefulness and self-discipline in engaging in the pursuit of the Foundation’s goals;
- Displays an ability to focus on the big picture without losing sight of the details in cooperation with the Philanthropy team and Foundation volunteers;
- Develops and maintains cooperative, successful working relationships with staff, donors and volunteers through exceptional influencing, tact and diplomacy skills;
- Thinks strategically and creatively about engaging donors, developing plans of action and following through;
- Demonstrates presence, self-confidence, sound judgment, and superior problem-solving ability; and
- Willing and available to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Ability to exercise discretion, good judgment and professionalism on behalf of the UHF; and
- Ability to meet deadlines with a high sense of urgency.
Please follow the link to complete a Culture Index Survey, which will help the Foundation get to know you better and assess your fit for this position.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AQRN-870181 Director, Annual Giving – University Hospital Foundation - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.