Deputy Chief Superintendent – Student Success – Calgary Board of Education
The Calgary Board of Education (“CBE”) is one of Canada’s largest school systems educating more than 123,000 students in 249 schools and has responsibility for an annual budget of approximately $1.4B. More than 14,000 employees work together to provide learning as unique as every student.
The work is guided by a Three-Year Education Plan, which connects each CBE employee to student success. This creates an environment where each student can become an engaged learner, prepared for success in life, work and future learning.
The CBE is guided by an elected board of seven trustees. Trustees are elected every four years during the municipal election along with Calgary’s mayor and councilors. Day-to-day operations are led by a team of superintendents who are responsible for meeting the expectations of the Board of Trustees as set out in their Results policies, Operational Expectations and the Chief Superintendent’s annual summative evaluation.
Each student, in keeping with their individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
Students come first
Learning is our central purpose
Public education serves the common good
For further information about Calgary Board of Education, please visit their website at http://www.cbe.ab.ca
Job Title: Deputy Chief Superintendent – Student Success
Reports to:Chief Superintendent
Direct Reports:Area Directors (7) Each Area Director provides leadership support to Principals in about 35 schools
Reporting to the Chief Superintendent, the Deputy Chief Superintendent – Student Success is responsible for leading equity, achievement and well-being in all CBE schools and supports the Chief Superintendent in managing every aspect of school operations.
The Deputy Chief Superintendent – Student Success is a key advisor to the Chief Superintendent and is a member of the Superintendent Leadership Team. This role has key responsibilities for leading and implementing the learning agenda and ensuring resources are available at the System and school level to achieve the desired outcome for student success.
The Deputy Chief Superintendent assumes the Chief Superintendent’s executive responsibilities in the absence of the Chief Superintendent.
- Providing strategic leadership and support in developing and implementing the Three-Year Education Plan under the direction of the Chief Superintendent and in accordance with the strategic direction of the elected Board of Trustees
- Leading the Area Director team to promote and develop educational leadership capability at the school and district levels
- Collaborating with System leaders on continuous improvement and change management initiatives to improve success for each student through personalized learning and the purposeful use of evidence and data to improve outcomes
- Reducing inequity amongst students especially for Indigenous learners and students with complex learning needs
- Building capacity of staff through professional learning to create conditions for every staff member in every school to improve learning, achievement and well-being of students. This work needs to be aligned with the improvement goals determined in each school development plan
- Enlisting parent and community support for public education and mediates and adjudicates on matters relating to students, staff, parents and community conflict as required
- Promoting and developing educational partnerships and leadership capabilities at the school and district level including acting as a liaison with other educational institutions and community agencies on behalf of the Calgary Board of Education as required
- Acting as the media spokesperson speaking on behalf of the CBE
- Collaborating with other staff, families and community partners to ensure our schools are welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning and work environments that support and respond to the needs of students and staff
- Working with other Superintendents to ensure the effective operation of the system to support student success
- Providing direct input into the development of the CBE budget and ensuring equitable allocation of financial and human resources to support student needs
- Building support for public education through engaging with the systems’ various stakeholders
- Providing leadership and a facilitative role on internal and external committees and representing the Chief Superintendent as required
- Other duties as assigned
Attractions & Opportunities
The Deputy Superintendent – Student Success will join the CBE during a period of renewal and transformation, build upon past accomplishments and be the advocate for the future of public education for an increasingly diverse community population and school system.
- To be a leader in one of Canada’s largest school boards, one of the largest employers in Calgary and to be part of an organization recognized for its leadership in public education
- To be at the forefront in shaping the future of public education and partnering with a Board of Trustees that values student achievement, student well-being and improved equity across the system
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Improve student achievement and well-being for all CBE students
- Reduce gaps in achievement for Indigenous learners
- Facilitate professional learning that address equity, achievement and well-being
- Establish and maintain positive working relationship with all stakeholders both internal and external
- Continue building an evidence and data informed learning culture
- Increase public confidence in public education in Calgary
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A minimum of a master’s degree in education is required for this role
- A minimum 10 years of progressively responsible experience in a system-wide leadership role.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing data sets and metrics at a System and school level to identify initiatives aimed at closing the gaps on student success
Competencies and Attributes
- The ability to see the big picture, articulate a shared vision and set direction for achieving that vision
- The ability to influence and lead through significant growth, continuous improvement and change management
- The ability to communicate complex learning concepts and theories into accessible language for CBE stakeholders and communities
- Outstanding relationship-building skills with people at all levels of the organization
- The ability to build and support high performing teams
- Excellent communications skills with a focus on collaborative problem solving and consensus building
- An engaging leadership style that excites, engages and holds the team to a high standard
- The ability to successfully resolve conflict
- Demonstrated courage and wisdom in being able to make difficult decisions when necessary, ensuring these decisions are clearly communicated and effectively implemented
- Strong management skills including strategic planning and project management
- High level of leadership and political acumen, recognizing and appreciating both operational complexities and political subtleties
- Strong analytical skills to quickly assess complex situations, determine key issues, and prepare and implement clearly defined solutions and/or responses
- Demonstrated ability to work with initiative and creativity when managing multiple projects under constant deadline pressure
- Proven ability to frame issues and determine next steps to achieve positive and timely end results
February 22, 2019 – 12:00pm MST
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AMPE-266643 Deputy Chief Superintendent – Student Success – Calgary Board of Education - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.