Cost Accountant – Sun Gro Horticulture
Sun Gro Horticulture is one of the most prominent North American horticultural companies, serving customers worldwide. Established in 1929, the company has become the leading supplier of soilless growing mixes to North America’s top 100 greenhouse and nursery growers, shipping over 70,000 truckloads of product annually. Sun Gro products are made to exacting standards and conform to high product quality and performance criteria.
Employing over 300 employees across North America; many scientists, technicians, managers, facilities workers, and sales professionals are at the heart of the company. Operating a network of 25 production/distribution facilities across Canada and the United States.
Sun Gro Horticulture provides safe operating environments for its peat harvesting operations as well as its production and distribution facilities operations. They are Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliant, maintaining safety manuals, and providing staff with regular safety training. Sun Gro Horticulture’s mission is to be an industry leader in soilless growing mixes, serving horticultural professionals, retailers, and gardeners with superior quality, branded growing mixes that yield exceptional results.
For further information about Sun Gro Horticulture, please visit their website at www.sungro.com
Reports to: Cost Accounting Manager
Location: Agawam, Massachusetts or Inkerman, New Brunswick
This position is responsible for leading all aspects of operational finance budgeting, forecasting and reporting, including, but not limited to areas of manufacturing, sourced goods, inbound/outbound freight and manufacturing material resources for their sites. Partner with all levels of operations personnel, and various levels of corporate personnel to develop annual budgets, ad-hoc forecasts and coordinate day-to-day accounting activities for the plant.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Partner with the Plant management team to increase plant efficiency and profitability.
- Develop annual manufacturing budget and monthly forecasts for their sites.
- Prepare and provide related financial and operational metrics analysis of variances between budget/forecast and actual and provide meaningful and detailed commentary including manufacturing variance analysis.
- Perform month-end close tasks including journal entries, accruals.
- Prepare and analyze account analyses, accounting support schedules and other supporting schedules. Ensure all internal controls are in place and adhered to.
- Lead the accurate and timely reporting of business review metrics, operations reporting analytics, regular cost savings reporting, and all ad hoc operations finance requirements.
- Lead and provide support for operations management for all aspects of the site inventory standard costing process, inventory production variance analysis and physical and cycle count inventory process and related reconciliations
- Develop or refine management reporting tools to clearly communicate both tactical operations efforts and long term strategic plans for all operations functions
- Ensure accurate annual costing of all operational functions. Use operational metrics to work with Finance and Operations leads to establish and achieve year-over-year improvements in cost of manufacturing components and identify issues/potential issues that can be pro-actively resolved
- Evaluate and provide financial analysis for all capital appropriation requests
- Provide operational finance support to all levels of the operations within their sites. Need to be visible on the site operating floor and interact and provide support to all levels of operations personnel.
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES
- Regular site visits are a requirement; this is an opportunity to travel to sites across North America.
- Work overtime or occasionally on weekends with short notice, and during peak times.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- B.S. Accounting or Finance
- CPA or MBA an asset
- 5+ years’ experience in accounting in a manufacturing environment, financial budgeting, reporting
- Must have advances Excel/Microsoft office skills. Prior experience with an MRP/ERP system is strongly preferred. Microsoft Navision experience is also a plus.
- Ability managing multiple priorities/projects – strong time management skills.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Strong Communication – Able to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel within a matrix environment. Must be present and provide a meaningful impact in the day-to-day site operations.
- Strong Customer Focus – Includes the ability to balance the needs of the customer with the needs of the business as well as fostering a strong customer focus mindset.
- Strong Fact Based Decision Making – Supports decisions with data and uses data to solve problems.
- Ability to Establish Plans – Set clear, measurable goals, anticipating roadblocks and adjust for problems, can accurately assess the length and difficulty of tasks.
- Change Champion – Able to communicate changes, remove obstacles and understand who needs to be involved in driving changes.
- Strong Execution – Can provide support without removing responsibility, monitors progress to ensure achievement of goals, coordinates with other work groups.
- Creates an environment that fosters process improvement and challenges status quo to eliminate non-value added work.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ABWY-168254 Cost Accountant – Sun Gro Horticulture - NB (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.