Financial Controller- Athabasca Minerals Inc.
Athabasca Minerals Inc.
Athabasca Minerals Inc. is a Canadian publicly traded (TSX:V “ABM”) mineral exploration and management company with operations and deposits throughout Alberta and corporate offices in both Edmonton and Calgary, AB. Athabasca Minerals Inc. is an integrated group of aggregates companies involved in resource development, aggregates marketing and midstream supply-logistics solutions. Business activities include aggregate production, pit management services, sales from corporate-owned and third-party pits, acquisitions of sand and gravel operations, and new venture development.
Athabasca Minerals is the parent company of Aggregates Marketing Inc. – a midstream technology-based business providing integrated supply and transportation solutions for industrial and construction markets.
In Addition, Athabasca Minerals is also the parent company of AMI Silica Inc. – a subsidiary positioning to become a leading supplier of premium domestic in-basin frac sand with regional deposits in Alberta and NE British Columbia. It is the joint venture owner of the Montney In-Basin and Duvernay Basin Frac Sand Projects.
The Corporation has industrial mineral leases, such as those supporting the Richardson Quarry Project, that are strategically positioned for future development in industrial regions of high potential aggregates demand.
Athabasca Minerals’ mission is to manage, explore, develop, and process industrial minerals sustainably. They have a commitment to developing their projects to the highest standards of industrial practices while fulfilling their economic, environmental, safety, and community responsibilities.
For further information about Athabasca Minerals Inc., please visit their website at www.athabascaminerals.com .
Job Title: Financial Controller
Reports to:Chief Financial Officer
Direct Reports: 3 HR and Payroll Administrator, Accounts Payable Clerk and Senior Accountant
Location: Calgary OR Edmonton, AB
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will be responsible for all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, financial reporting along with the establishment and operation of accounting policies and procedures in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (“IFRS”). The successful candidate will be responsible for the preparation of quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements in accordance with IFRS and lead the implementation of new standards. In addition, the incumbent will evaluate M&A prospects as required and provide recommendation on proceeding to the CEO and CFO. This position will play an integral role with the management team for capital budgeting, financial forecasting, and strategic advisory.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Detailed review of working papers and journal entries from all entities
- All aspects of financial reporting, including:
- Preparation of quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements in accordance with IFRS
- Preparation of the financial sections of the Management Discussion and Analysis (“MD&A”)
- Other external reporting including royalties, GST, bank covenants, Extractive Sector Transparency Measures Act (“ESTMA”) filing, and NRCan filings
- IFRS research for new transactions & preparation of position papers
- Lead the implementation of new IFRS standards
- Oversee the preparation of the quarterly rolling forecast for all portfolio companies
- Monitoring actual to forecast on a monthly basis and reporting on variances to management team
- Lead and manage all aspects of corporate accounting (i.e. G/L, Billing, A/R, A/P, WIP), including the establishment of accounting policies and procedures in accordance with IFRS (as required)
- Preparation of working papers and journal entries for the following:
- Asset retirement obligations
- Stock options, deferred share units & restricted share units
- Deferred taxes
- Share capital transactions
- Equity pick-up for investments in associates (2 companies)
- Fair value of share purchase options (level 3 financial instruments)
- Consolidating entries between parent and subsidiaries – Aggregates Marketing Inc. and AMI Silica Inc.
- Presentation of quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements to the executive team and the Board of Directors
- Design effective internal controls over financial reporting and ensure they’re being followed as designed
- Corresponding with the auditors regarding the annual financial statement audit
- Review and assistance with monthly, quarterly and annual tax provision processes
- Assistance with management and coordination of tax compliance function including coordination with external service providers where applicable
- Evaluate M&A prospects as required, including performing initial valuation and recommending whether to proceed to the CEO & CFO. This will also include leading the financial due diligence and integration
- Development of risk reporting function
- All insurance matters including annual renewals, supporting operations team with certificates of insurance, and corresponding with insurance brokers
- Process and continuous improvement projects (financial accounting and operational)
- Proven people and leadership skills with 5+ years of progressive experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment
- Training, mentoring and coaching the finance and accounting team and other staff on raising awareness and knowledge of financial management matters
- Identifying opportunities for streamlining processes to increase departmental and corporate efficiency
- Join an energetic entrepreneurial organization and impact the growth of a successful business
- Ambitious, dedicated employees with a risk tolerance will see the benefits in their hard work by the growth of their equitable stake in the business.
- Success has come from an organizational culture that thrives on open communication, collaboration, flexibility, innovation and a commitment to results. This role will provide the incumbent with the opportunity to work closely with the executive, oversee all aspects of accounting and finance and influence business decision.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Successfully complete quarterly and annual financials to a high standard
- Add value in the review of M&A opportunities to ensure due diligence is completed
- Develop and implement streamline accounting procedures, specifically forecasting
- Prepare presentation documentation for AGM
- Drive corporate improvement with the implementation of stronger controls and processes
The successful candidate will have the following:
Education and Experience
- CPA designation
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a similar role,
- Experience working in a publicly traded company
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles and IFRS
- Experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning (“ERP”) systems
Competencies and Attributes
- Innovative and entrepreneurial thinking
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Self-motivated and able to work under little or no supervision
- Ability to work closely with senior management (CEO, CFO, COO)
- Ability to prioritize and achieve multiple deadlines
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AUIJ-345788 Financial Controller- Athabasca Minerals Inc. - AB - Calgary and AreaAB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.