Our client is an Edmonton based commercial and residential developer, managing a portfolio of $100M – $150M.
Job Title :Controller
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: 1
Indirect Reports: 2
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The successful candidate will be responsible for the financial, administrative and risk management operations for the organization. The successful candidate will also assist in the development of financial strategy to support sustainable growth, accurate reporting and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve the organization’s revenue and assets.
The successful candidate will possess full cycle accounting experience, along with the ability to produce financial forecasting and detailed analysis of results. This role will also be an integral member of the leadership team; and will provide direct support to and participate in key decision making for the overall operations of the company.
The Controller will support the growth of the business while keeping in alignment with the organization’s core values. Faced with the prospect of planned growth and continual change, this role is an exciting opportunity for the right professional to set standards, build relationships, diagnose problems, strengthen internal controls and processes and be a significant part of our client’s big picture.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Oversee all finance and accounting operations, procedures and compliance for the organization and its subsidiaries;
- Cashflow management and forecasting, ensuring all bank accounts are funded and cash flow is accurately managed and forecasted, including making recommendations to the management team;
- Establish processes for financial governance;
- Efficiently become familiar with all current and future development projects of the organization;
- Responsible for general ledger, chart of accounts and corporate structure. This includes oversight and approval of all complex journal entries, all financial reporting, GST and other tax filings, as well as proactively managing the overall accounting structure to accommodate change and an evolving business;
- Develop and implement compliance and control processes and procedures to ensure the ongoing protection of assets including, but not limited to, cash management, employee expenses, invoicing and payroll;
- Complete and make recommendations on feasibility analysis, evaluations, and sensitivity analysis;
- Efficiently become familiar with any 2018 year end action items that may arise from the Canada Revenue Agency;
- Manage the year end process and liaise directly with external accountants;
- Manage the budget and forecasting process, with associated reporting;
- Upgrade and enhance existing accounting and finance systems; implement an electronic and streamlined process for invoice reconciliation and payment;
- Oversee the issuance of financial information, review/approve all documents requested/required by outside business partners (creditors, financial establishments, auditors, etc.);
- Assemble comprehensive bank packages for project funding and re-financing;
- Oversee the day-to-day finance and accounting operations, procedures and compliance for the organization and its subsidiaries;
- Develop accounting best practices to increase corporate and reporting efficiencies;
- Develop the accounting function where needed; provide support and expertise to staff members; and
- Understand how the day to day financial responsibilities impacts the big picture corporate objectives of the organization.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop and streamline accounting procedures, specifically forecasting;
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting along with detailed analysis and insight into project and corporate results;
- Comprehensive analysis of possible requirements to move systems to ERP;
- Build lasting relationships with key influencers of the organization (i.e. creditors, investors, etc.);
- Proven ability to look forward, particularly as it relates to anticipating future cash requirements; and
- Drive corporate improvement with the implementation of stronger controls and processes.
The successful candidate will have the following:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related discipline;
- CA/CPA designation required;
- Master’s in Business Administration will be considered an asset;
- Prior real estate development experience will be considered an asset;
- It is essential that the successful candidate be smart with numbers, possess a strong technical understanding of accounting and be very detail-oriented. Due to the smaller complement of staff, this role is very hands on and as such, the successful candidate will be responsible for full-cycle accounting, including journal entries, compiling financial statements, job costing, analysis and reporting, and some consolidation work;
- Minimum 10 years’ experience, preferably with 3-5 years’ experience in the property management, development or construction industry; and
- In-depth understanding of WIP and percentage of completion and cost to complete accounting.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Possesses a humble nature, strong work ethic and a high level of integrity;
- Possesses strong analytical and financial modelling skills;
- Strong business acumen;
- Possesses the ability to analyze, evaluate, develop and recommend plans to support strategic business activities aimed at growth;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to quickly gain the trust and confidence of others;
- Driven and passionate about succeeding, with an ambitious spirit;
- Conscientious about timeliness and quality of work produced;
- Possesses a strong sense of urgency;
- Strategic and forward minded thinker;
- Innovative, creative with the ability to problem solve at a high level; and
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, as well as independently.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AYRV-043184 Controller - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.