- Search Solutions
- Leadership, Assessment
- Career Transition
- About Optimum Talent
- Start Your Transition
If your employer has provided you with Career Transition Support through Optimum Talent, click here to get started.
Volker Stevin Canada operates as a subsidiary of VolkerWessels. VolkerWessels operates primarily in the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, North America, and Germany. Operationally, its business is organized in six segments. In the countries in which VolkerWessels operates it has over 120 local operating companies, which have national and regional offices and management.
Volker Stevin Canada and its subsidiaries across Western Canada are dedicated to providing the highest level of quality services in the areas of construction, project management, highway maintenance, civil works and bridge construction, maintenance and rehabilitation expertise, and asphalt/aggregate plants and pits.
In anticipation of our client’s needs, we strive to build and maintain long term relationships based on safety, quality, value, trust, and timely service. In addition to upholding professionalism, integrity, honesty, and fairness in our relationships with our clients, professional associates, subcontractors, and suppliers we ensure the longevity of the Company while sustaining growth and profitability.
Holding a moral obligation to a safe, environmentally responsible work environment we model safety excellence as our way of life – where individual professional growth is the foundation for company growth. Our culture of building and maintaining successful partnerships instills confidence in achieving both employee and client goals.
For more information, please visit their website at www.volkerstevin.ca
Job Title: Controller
Reports to: General Manager, Volker Stevin Highways Ltd. as well as the CFO, Volker Stevin Canada
Direct Reports: 1 – Accounting professional Location: Calgary, AB
Term of Employment: This can be either a full-time 12-15 month employment opportunity or a 12-15 month contract opportunity
Reporting to the General Manager, Volker Stevin Highways Ltd. and to the CFO, Volker Stevin Canada Ltd. the Controller is the expert and leader, reporting financial results and supports in steering the direction of business decisions.
Within a fast-paced office and operations environment, the Controller will provide accounting leadership and manage the day-to-day operations including budgeting, forecasting, accounts receivable, variance analysis and financial reporting. While also participating in the processes and coordination of integration with Volker Stevin Canada’s standard business processes and reporting.
• Build collaborative and trustworthy relationships across Volker Stevin Highways Ltd. and Volker Stevin Canada
• Be involved in day to day operations, be willing and comfortable meeting with colleagues at all levels of the organization to solve problems
• Develop and maintain a high level of communication with the Operations and Accounting teams (including the corporate accounting team) on all relevant matters
• Prepare monthly and quarterly financial models for making strategic and operational decisions
• Assist in the ERP implementation and managing change around the new processes to ensure they are working as planned & report or correct any deviations
• Practice diplomacy, discretion, and the utmost confidentiality on all internal issues
• Model a professional image and demeanor with internal and external customers
• Oversee finance management for Volker Stevin Highways Ltd.
• Oversee the adherence to IFRS, financial controls, and performance
• Prepare and review of reporting packages; monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports with respect to profits, trends, costs, and comparatives with budgets
• Act as the key liaison for external financial audits
• Enhance data governance processes improving the quality and integrity of data collected, analysis performed, and reports generated
• Demonstrate innovation by keeping apprised of trends and best in class practices implementing with the organization as appropriate to fulfill the overall corporate strategy
• Collaborate with the business and corporate finance team by providing reliable, accurate, comparable, and timely information and analysis
• Other duties as requested by the GM, or Volker Stevin Canada CFO
• Clear understanding of who are the internal and external customers of the Volker Stevin Group of Companies
• Represent the Highways Business Unit in a professional, helpful and confidential demeanor at all times
• Demonstrate a “can do”, “problem solving” approach to all inquiries and concerns
• Knowledge of when to escalate an issue to the GM and/or CFO. Respond to all internal enquiries within the organization
• Actively engage in Volker Stevin Canada’s culture of Safety Excellence
• Engage senior management on an ongoing basis regarding safety activities and successes
• Remain visibly committed to the safety excellence way of life by:
o Participating in all relevant safety training
o Attend periodic safety meetings
o Include questions about safety in your regular conversations
• Attend at least one worksite inspection per month, offering recognition and support
• Volker Stevin is a proud team that encourages initiative, fosters innovation and promotes integrity
• The Controller is an instrumental in driving the right decisions within the business
• The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to put their mark on the company as they change business processes and rollout the new ERP system Microsoft Dynamics 365
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
• Develop a comprehensive understanding of the organization
• Ensure the timely delivery of accurate monthly operational financial reports
• Participate in the final stage of new financial system implementation, ensure data migration is completed and implementation of business transformations objectives
• Managing change to ensure adoption at all levels of the business
• Develop ways to improve processes, become better and more efficient
• Build a trusting work environment with the General Manager’s and employees of Volker Stevin Highways Ltd. and Volker Stevin Canada
The successful candidate will have the following:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
• Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) is required
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in significant financial role demonstrating progressive responsibilities and supervising a team
• Experience in a heavy construction industry with a cost and project focus is an asset
• 5 years of experience working in a complex ERP financial environment
• Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
Competencies and Attributes
• Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the organization, and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness.
• Communication: Communicates effectively with all levels of the organization. Open to receiving constructive feedback and willing to engage in robust healthy discussion to foster the spirit of continuous improvement.
• Decision Quality: Good decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement.
• Detailed: Ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently. Handles details meticulously and makes very few mistakes.
• Leadership: Collaborative leader that provides the coaching, support, encouragement, and direction required to engage and empower employees in the accomplishment of project goals and objectives. Models’ positive leadership behaviors and maintains professionalism under pressure and uncertainty. Provides timely feedback and guidance to employees, ensuring their development and success is supported. Ability to adapt leadership style to different audiences as needed.
• Managing Change: Demonstrates support for innovation and for organization changes needed to improve the organizations effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring and implementing organizational change; helping others to successfully manage organization change.
• Relationship Builder: Ability to identify and initiate working relationships and to develop and maintain them in a way that is of mutual benefit to both parties. Good relationships are the key to getting things done and are essential when your success is dependent on others.