Controller – Volker Stevin Canada
Volker Stevin Canada and its subsidiaries are dedicated to providing the highest level of quality construction, project management, highway maintenance services, civil works, bridge construction, maintenance and rehabilitation expertise and services to our customers to ensure the longevity of the Company, while sustaining growth and profitability. We will strive to build and maintain long term relationships with our clients based on safety, quality, value, trust, and timely service in anticipation of their needs.
Mainline Construction (2014) Ltd. (“Mainline”) specializes in deep utility trenching, shallow utility installation, lift station construction, and installation of mains and services within the City of Grande Prairie, the Peace Country, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
Mainline’s focus on underground works is primarily water, storm, and sanitary mains and services, while also providing flushing and video inspection for new and existing infrastructure, in addition to chlorination and testing of all installed main lines after completion.
In its Earthworks Division, Mainline provides expertise in pre-grading of subdivisions and railways, roadway construction, precut excavations for deep underground utility mains, lot and road grading, involving both excavation and borrow and compaction (to name a few).
As owner/operator of a variety of gravel pits as well as a wash plant, Mainline provides trucking service for the delivery of sands and gravels, with its own fleet of highway trucks.
As support to the Oil and Gas sector, Mainline has extensive experience in construction of roadways, lease pads and gas plants.
We will maintain the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, honesty and fairness in our relationships with our clients, professional associates, subcontractors and suppliers. We hold a moral obligation to support and engage in a Culture of Safety, environmentally responsible work practices and commit to providing an organization where individual professional growth is the foundation for Company growth. Our culture of building and maintaining successful partnerships instills confidence in achieving both employee and client goals.
For more information please visit their website at www.volkerstevin.ca and www.mainlineconstruction.ca
Job Title: Controller
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer, Volker Stevin Canada & General Manager, Mainline
Direct Reports: 3 – A/P, A/P, Payroll
Location: Grande Prairie, Alberta
Reporting to the CFO, Volker Stevin Canada Ltd. and General Manager of Mainline Construction (2014) Ltd. (“Mainline”), the Controller is the Expert and Leader, reporting Financial results, managing the day to day efficient processing related to construction projects while managing change.
Within an entrepreneurial, fast-paced office and operations environment, the Controller will provide accounting and Change Management expertise and ensure the alignment and integration of accounting and reporting processes. Through successfully applied Change Management experience, the Controller will lead in the control and management of the financial affairs of the company to maximize the return to its shareholders.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Demonstrate a solid knowledge of an ERP system;
- Help achieve results through relationship building, confidence building, trustworthiness, dedication and pragmatic approach to financial requirements;
- As a contributing member of Mainline’s Management Team, provide advice and direction on the running of the business to ensure profitability and sustainability of financial results and business success;
- Manage and develop the team;
- Maintain a high level of organization on all aspects of the ERP and Financial systems, managing change around new processes to ensure they are working as planned & report/correct any deviations;
- Maintain a high level of communication with the Project Management, Operations and Accounting teams (including Parent Company accounting team) on all relevant matters;
- Practice diplomacy, discretion and the utmost confidentiality on all internal issues;
- Model a professional image and demeanor with internal and external customers;
- Respond to all internal enquiries within the Company in a timely and professional manner;
- Modify/adapt processes where necessary to support business goals and report to the General Manager and CFO as required;
- Assist in all business process documentation by reviewing information to ensure completeness and accuracy;
- Achieve maximum (continuous improvement) efficiency and accuracy of processes;
- Assist in identifying and implementing opportunities for improvement in the processes or business activities;
- Coach employees on new processes, understanding their effect on current ones;
- Assess team’s capabilities and recommend workforce adjustments accordingly; and
- Optimize the vast knowledge existing in the long-term workforce and align strengths and positions.
- Analytical review of the reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis, including the reconciliation of subsidiary ledgers to the general ledger;
- Provide monthly variance analysis from budget and prior year;
- Preparation of monthly financial statements and analysis;
- Preparation of year-end audit working papers as directed including assets, liabilities, revenues and expenditures;
- Assist in preparation and review of the annual audited financial statements;
- Preparation of year-end comparative financial statements and supporting schedules;
- Preparation of the monthly reports;
- Work closely with the external audit team ensuring all necessary critical information is available to them;
- Oversee the accounts receivable, cash receipts, payroll and P2P functions and processes;
- Provide reporting, analytics, and advice, and together with the General Manager establish and execute on effective working capital and DSO management;
- Maintenance of manuals documenting accounting procedures, as they apply to Mainline;
- Other duties as requested by the, President, or Volker Stevin Canada CFO;
- Primary responsibility for oversight and leadership for the preparation and presentation of budgets, including revenue, expense, capital and balance sheet;
- Maintain financial security by researching and reconciling discrepancies; auditing and verifying documents; following internal controls; completing data backups;
- Accomplish tasks on time and contribute to the team by taking on special projects as needed; and
- Stay current with all regulations, practices, tax laws, reporting requirements and industry trends, as directly related to Mainlines operations.
MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP
- Ongoing performance management of team and of self – transparency on communication and expectations;
- Create an environment of Collaboration, Open Communication and Engagement;
- Provide team with opportunity to contribute with significant input – continuous improvement;
- Provide clear expectations and set SMART goals aligning strengths, development plan and business needs, when appropriate for rollout at Mainline;
- Provide recognition for job completion, for over and above results of each member of team and/or group as relevant;
- Address performance issues and opportunities in real time; and
- Utilize resources available to the team and department and ask for assistance should that be critical to achieve results.
- Clear understanding of who are the internal and external customers of Mainline;
- Represent Mainline in a professional, helpful and confidential demeanor at all times;
- Demonstrate a “can do”, “problem solving” approach to all inquiries and concerns;
- Ensure vendor/customer issues and requests are addressed in a timely manner;
- Investigate and handle any payment/invoicing issues and vendor/customer concerns that have been escalated and require immediate attention; and
- Knowledge of when to escalate an issue to the General Manager or CFO.
- Process Efficiencies
- Identify/recommend/initiate changes in processes as they relate to the continuous improvement and other relevant Accounting Procedures, and follow through for acceptance, implementation and reporting of benefits achieved.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field, or equivalent experience;
- Accounting designation (CGA, CA, CMA) and 5+ years of subsequent experience in a significant financial role demonstrating progressive responsibilities;
- Solid understanding and working experience in a complex ERP financial environment;
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship and communication skills;
- Experience in construction industry an asset;
- Knowledge, expertise or significant exposure to a major ERP environment
- Expert level with Microsoft Excel, and proficiency with other Office applications (Word, PowerPoint); Office365 and
- Experience with ViewPoint ERP, an asset.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Ability to engage, inspire and appropriately influence without authority;
- Drive to facilitate the success of others;
- Impeccable communication skills, both verbal and written, capable of communicating cross functionally across all levels;
- Politeness, Professional appearance and demeanor;
- Strong relationship building skills and desire;
- Solution driven approach;
- Self-motivated, energetic and able to learn quickly;
- High degree of assertiveness and diplomacy;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Ability to discern and avert potential conflict-of-interest situations; and
- Highly ethical.
- Solid analytical skills, the ability to establish well-thought out processes that address all of the relevant variables;
- Excellent communicator – sharing information with team, clarifying and managing expectations, keeping team abreast of overall status of responsibilities while maintaining confidentiality of all sensitive matters;
- Ability to organize information, maintain systems and take action independently;
- Demonstrated presentation, leadership and team-building skills;
- Ability to adapt and positively respond to frequent and varied requests requiring initiative and flexibility with minimal supervision;
- Assertiveness demonstrated by asking questions when clarification is required, communicating challenges and opportunities as they come up;
- Results oriented on tasks and on communication; and
- Understanding of how self-awareness and humility is an important tool on connecting for influence – Leadership.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Under Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation, Optimum Talent requires your consent to provide you with information via email that is relevant to you. This may include electronic communications regarding job opportunities that you are pursuing. Please click the following link in order to access and complete our online subscription form on the homepage of our website: http://www.optimumtalent.com/
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A014830 (AXGB-418165) Controller – Volker Stevin Canada - AB - Grande Prairie (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.