Controller, US Division Luxus Developments & Luxus Restorations – The Luxus Group
The Luxus Group (“Luxus”) is a family-owned and operated, property management and real estate development firm based in Sherwood Park, Alberta.
With an initial vision of enhancing the way people invest in their lifestyle and experiences, Luxus launched its first division in 2007, Luxus Vacation Properties. Luxus Vacation Properties is an innovative business model which offers a unique investment opportunity by providing investors access to a portfolio of exceptional properties around the world. Now operating with a dedicated service team and operating three Partnerships with approximately 300 high-net-worth investors and more than 25 properties around the world, Luxus Vacation Properties remains the core of the company.
Over the past 14 years, Luxus has achieved growth by consistently pursuing innovative opportunities and building trusted relationships with its clients, vendors, and suppliers around the world. This evolution has led to the creation of additional divisions, including Luxus Developments and Luxus Restorations. Luxus Developments is a US Company, headquartered in New York, and Luxus Restorations is an Italian company, headquartered in Tuscany.
Projects launched by Luxus Developments and Luxus Restorations include numerous Tuscan restoration projects (Podere Paníco, San Gerolamo, Podere Casilea); Vista Dunes Estates, a private-gated community in Palm Springs; The Residences of Laule’a, a luxury community on the Big Island of Hawaii and Hotel Dos Santos, a 133-key Marriott Autograph hotel in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Luxus Developments is currently in pre-development for a 150-unit luxury condominium project in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Luxus prides themselves on having a unique, high-performance culture that is fun, collaborative, and supportive. The Luxus Culture is best described through its core values, which are:
- Excellence: We deliver our best, every day.
- Positivity: We approach challenges with a positive attitude and an open mind.
- Integrity: We always do the right thing.
- Forward Thinking: We are innovative.
- Humility: We are grateful.
- Family: We embrace the family spirit.
Their talented 15+ team members are truly dedicated to helping clients see new places, try new experiences and build lasting memories with their families and friends. As an employer, they are committed to supporting their team members with these same experiences by encouraging (and funding) their professional development, personal health & wellness, and travel goals.
Looking ahead to the next 10 years and beyond, Luxus will continue to focus on its passion for helping its clients and employees live happier, healthier, and more fulfilling lives. For further information on The Luxus Group, please visit www.luxusgroup.com and www.luxusrestorations.com
|Job Title:||Controller, US Division|
|Reports to:||Vice President, Development and Managing Partner|
|Indirect Reports:||Contracted Accountants from other countries when applicable|
|Location:||Sherwood Park, AB|
The Controller, US Division is a part of the Luxus Group Finance & Accounting team and will oversee Luxus Developments – US and Luxus Restorations – Italy. Reporting to the Vice President, Development and Managing Partner, the Controller, US Division will be an integral part of Luxus Developments – a dynamic and fast-growing division of The Luxus Group.
The Controller, US Division will also oversee accounting for Luxus Restorations, a unique Italian-based company. This role will oversee all accounting, financial reporting, and budgeting of these divisions, including completion of month-end close procedures for approximately 5-6 entities, the majority of which are US corporations or LLCs. All foreign (i.e., non-US) developments engage with local certified accountants, as such for these projects, the Controller, US Division will oversee the work performed by these third-party accounting firms.
- Responsible for month-end closing process and as such will be involved in financial statement preparation, journal entries, and supporting working papers in established corporate formats and in accordance with GAAP;
- Oversee and manage day-to-day company financial functions this will include, but is not limited to:
- Bookkeeping tasks including bank reconciliations, A/R and A/P entry;
- Bi-weekly payment run review and approval;
- Payroll processing and administration;
- Cash management of applicable bank accounts, including cash forecasting and transfers;
- Intercompany account management;
- Supporting operations in their mandate to improve financial results, where feasible;
- Oversee and prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financials and deliver reports to the Vice President, Development and Managing Partner with timely and accurate information;
- Preparation of the annual budgets for the applicable divisions;
- Preparation and coordination of year-end information for external audits and reviews, ensuring proper maintenance of accounting records and documentation;
- Prepare detailed analysis, summaries, and reports of financial data on the operating progress of the company on a periodic basis; and
- Coordinate preparation of annual corporate tax filing requirements.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication with key team members, including remote team members in other countries;
- Mentor and develop staff members on the accounting team using a supporting and collaborative approach; and
- Present reports to executives, clients, partners, and board members and other projects, as required.
- Opportunity to work for a growing organization with an investment model unique to their industry;
- Luxus Group has a family focused culture that prioritizes their people first;
- Luxus is committed to supporting their team members experiences by encouraging (and funding) their professional development, personal health & wellness, and travel goals; and
- Opportunity to work on luxury real estate projects across the globe including: the United States, Mexico, and Italy.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the organization;
- Creation and implementation of accounting systems and processes for the current and new development projects;
- Oversee and support an external audit for the US division;
- Lead an internal audit of all agreements, covenants, deadlines, and shareholder agreements for Luxus Developments; and
- Take full control and ownership of all accounting, financial reporting, and budgeting for Luxus Developments and Luxus Restorations.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field;
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation required; and
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation in one or multiple US states would be a significant asset.
- A minimum of 5 – 7 years’ experience as an accountant;
- Must have experience with US or Cross-Border accounting; and
- Experience in real estate development or construction would be considered a strong asset.
Competencies and Attributes
- Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the organization, and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with all levels of the organization. Open to receiving constructive feedback and willing to engage in robust healthy discussion to foster the spirit of continuous improvement. Ability to provide and express information in a clear, concise manner and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Critical Thinking: Makes strong decisions using analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Decision Quality: Good decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement.
- Detailed: Ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently. Handles details meticulously and makes very few mistakes.
- Drives Results: Infuses the team and organizations with a sense of urgency. Creates a culture where organizational performance is always top of mind. Communicates a clear vision, sets priorities, develops and executes plans that achieve the desired outcome for organization’s growth goals. Thrives within a dynamic, growing environment. Effectively prioritizes tasks to meet all deadlines. Ability to manage and allocate resources as needed to meet tasks with competing deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: An attitude and approach to thinking is to actively seek out change, rather than waiting to adapt to change. Mindset where you ask critical questions, innovate and seek continuous improvement.
- Self-Starter: Motivated to set and achieve goals and takes initiative within the workplace. Completes work without the need for supervision and works through issues and performs tasks independently.
- Solutions Oriented: Drives to results. Motivated to accomplish tasks to achieve project milestones. Faces challenges as opportunities and inspires same in others.
- Team Player: Understands their role and shares in the team’s successes and challenges. Creates an environment where people can talk objectively without emotion interfering. Willingness to help members of the team when needed.
The Luxus Group is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. The Luxus Group welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Optimum Talent and The Luxus Group. throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AXYB-662853 Controller, US Division Luxus Developments & Luxus Restorations – The Luxus Group - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.