Controller – Honey Bee Manufacturing
Honey Bee Manufacturing is a privately-owned manufacturer of high-quality draper platforms for a wide variety of crops and conditions. Founded in 1979 with the commitment to ongoing investment in product research and development, Honey Bee’s objective has always been to manufacture equipment farmers want and are happy to own, evident through their next generation AirFLEX platform.
With more than 100,000 square feet of production and warehousing space, their facility in Frontier, Saskatchewan has enabled them to service customers from all over the world, including North America, Europe, Australia, South America, Africa and Central Asia. With an already well proven track record of success, Honey Bee Manufacturing is well positioned for long-term, sustained growth.
For further information about Honey Bee Manufacturing, please visit their website at www.honeybee.ca
Job Title: Controller
Reports to: General Manager
Direct Reports: Senior Accountant, Cost Accountant, A/R, A/P and Payroll / Benefits Administrators, Junior Accountant
Location: Frontier, Saskatchewan
The Controller provides insight to and voice in the strategic direction and operational priorities of the company as a member of the Executive Management team. As the lead Accounting Executive, the Controller provides leadership to all accounting related functions within Honey Bee Manufacturing Ltd. and its affiliated companies including but not limited to; the planning and preparation of reports that summarize and forecast business activities and financial positions in areas of income, expenses and earnings based on past, present and expected operations.
Contribute to Honey Bee’s Growth, Productivity and Performance
- Develop a strong working relationship with the General Manager, senior managers and owners.
- Working with the General Manager and other senior leaders on the strategic objectives including fostering and cultivating strong relationships and rapport with financial stakeholders.
- Assisting in performing all tasks necessary to achieve growth, productivity and performance plans. This may include leading preparation of applications for various government grants (IRAP, Canada Export among others).
- Support the development of new business, specifically: assist the General Manager and other senior leaders in assessing new product or market opportunities, developing business plans and budgets, and determining potential return of different options.
- Participating in key supplier, client contracts and tenders to ensure terms and financial metrics are acceptable and, where necessary develop and negotiate contracts.
- Provide expertise in cost-accounting including profitability analysis (e.g., product, dealer, market) and pricing relevant to a continuous process improvement manufacturing environment.
- The management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: income statements, cash flow reports, and balance sheet reports, reports to the senior management and owners, reports to the Bank, Insurer and governmental agencies (e.g, SRED).
- The production of monthly reports, executive summaries as well as financial statements and cash flow projections for use by management, as well as the owners.
- Development of the annual budget and periodic forecasts.
- Cash flow planning and ensuring availability of funds when needed.
- Monitoring the organization’s banking activities and establishing a strong working relationship with Honey Bees’ lenders.
- Contribute insight to ensure Honey Bee’s financial, manufacturing and business information systems (e.g., MAX, Great Plains, Prophix, FRX and management information) are adequate and fully optimized to inform effective decisions in a timely manner while providing a cost effective and secure financial Information technology environment that enables Honey Bee’s future growth, and efficient, effective operations.
- Contributing to the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets and product inventory ensuring metrics are in place assuring turnover of inventory and asset utilization.
- Leading year end (October 31st) physical inventory count and subsequent reporting.
- Overseeing all tax filings and ensuring the company is compliant and tax-efficient.
- Developing and maintaining systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization.
- Overseeing the coordination and activities of independent auditors ensuring all audit issues are resolved, all compliance issues are met, and the preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with ASPE and federal, provincial and other requirements.
- Overseeing risk management (property, casualty, liability, owner/director insurance) as well as leadership to foreign exchange risk management.
- Ensuring adequate controls are installed and that substantiating documentation is approved and available such that all financial systems and controls will pass independent and governmental audits.
- Champion the importance of strong, effective financial management and risk management disciplines to Honey Bee’s success.
- Recruit, train, mentor and coach the Finance and Accounting team to ensure effective service and support to internal and external customers.
- Provide leadership to other staff, with a view to raising awareness and knowledge of financial management matters and how their work impacts business and financial results.
- Identify opportunities for streamlining processes to increase departmental efficiency including all process interfaces and interdependencies with sales, research & development and manufacturing operations.
Opportunities and Challenges
- Provide leadership to an effective, committed finance and accounting team.
- Help the company leverage finance and accounting resources and expertise more effectively in problem identification, problem-solving and prospective analysis.
- Work with General Manager that sets clear expectations, expects you to thrive with minimal supervision, and relies heavily on the quality and timeliness of you and your team’s deliverables and advice.
- Senior leadership opportunity within a successful family-owned organization with global clients.
- Critical role charged with defining and driving higher levels of performance and impact to the business by a core functional area.
- Support of a loyal, capable and “customer focused” team.
- Significant exposure to the ownership group.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Provide stewardship that continues to strengthen the financial health of the organization.
- Continue to provide financial reports and analysis that build trust and confidence of management, owners, banking partners, external auditors and pertinent government agencies.
- Be an active, valued voice at the executive table providing strategic advice and guidance regarding the business, its profitability and growth objectives.
- Translate complex financial concepts into business information enabling others to utilize and make strong, effective business decisions.
- Ensure the finance team composition is appropriate, the team is aligned and positioned for success. Through continuous improvements the finance & accounting processes are in place to deliver optimal value to the business.
- Contribute, through your behavior and results, to a positive, constructive culture within your team and more broadly through the organization.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- CPA required
- A business degree, specialization in finance & accounting is ideal
- Courses focused on accounting methods for LEAN or continuous process improvement manufacturing environment would be an asset
- Breadth of technical experience that covers all finance & accounting process areas
- Proven capability to see the ‘big picture’ while focusing on the process and procedures necessary to produce quality deliverables in a timely manner
- Proven to be an effective leader of finance & accounting teams
- Manufacturing sector finance and accounting leadership experience is preferred; in a LEAN manufacturing environment is ideal
Competencies and Attributes
- Highest standards of personal integrity supported by honest, open communication.
- Sophisticated finance and accounting knowledge & skill, willing to be hands-on and immerse themselves in the work to support the business.
- Develop and promote a culture of continuous improvement and foster a climate of openness, adaptability and flexibility to change.
- A skilled communicator that is able to translate complex financial information for diverse audiences.
- Someone that thrives on and takes great satisfaction in hard but meaningful work.
- A positive approach to business and views challenges as opportunities.
- A confident yet humble leader that acts as a trusted advisor to the business.
- A strategic thinker with strong analytical skills to quickly assess complex situations in a timely manner, determine key issues, then prepare and implement clearly defined solutions and/or responses.
- Outstanding relationship-building skills with people at all levels of the organization with a focus on creative problem solving using a collaborative approach.
- An engaging leadership style that excites and motivates while holding the team to a high standard.
- Proven ability to frame issues and creates a sense of urgency to achieve positive and timely end results.
A competitive compensation package and distinctive quality of life awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AGKI-280548 Controller – Honey Bee Manufacturing - SK (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.