Controller | Di-Corp
In business since 1960, Di-Corp is a leading private manufacturer and distributor of chemicals and equipment servicing drilling applications in the energy, construction, and mining industries. Di-Corp manufactures and distributes a full line of diamond core drilling tooling worldwide under the Drillers Edge brand. It also manufactures the proprietary Earth Pro line of drilling fluids and additives used in these industries.
Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Di-Corp has manufacturing, distribution, and service locations in four Canadian provinces, the United States, Mexico, and now Ghana. Di-Corp has an established international supply chain in addition to nine international distributors serving South Africa, South America, Europe, Central Asia, the Middle East, and Asia-Pacific.
- Down to Earth
- Growth Mindset
- Disciplined Agility
- Familial Workplace
For further information about Di-Corp, please visit their website at www.di-corp.com
|Reports to:||Chief Financial Officer|| |
|Direct Reports:||3: Accountant, Senior Billing and Operations Support Analyst|| |
|Location:||Edmonton, AB|| |
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will provide accurate information to the executive team and the rest of the business in support of their strategic direction for Di-Corp. The Controller will lead the seamless operations of their accounting department and provide outstanding leadership to their team while building collaborative relationships across the organization.
The Controller is responsible for full cycle accounting and dissemination of financial reporting. The Controller also coordinates the budgeting cycle, all relevant audits as required by external stakeholders, financial reporting, budgeting, and ensuring that company procedures conform to generally accepted accounting principles.
Di-Corp is looking for a person with a broad skillset and can meet technical and people management needs. The following are key accountabilities
- Manage and develop an accounting team of 10 members with varying degrees of professional experience and expertise;
- Oversee all aspects of financial reporting, budgeting and cash funding activities including (but not limited to): monthly P&L preparations, variance reporting, financial statement consolidations, account reconciliations, collateral submissions for asset-based lending (ABL);
- Provide timely financial reporting for regular and atypical business transactions to the Executive team;
- Ensure all regulatory, government compliance, and bank reporting filings are completed and submitted with high degree of accuracy;
- Evaluate systems, procedures, and accounting policies and make recommendations for changes where appropriate; and
- Manage relationships with various service and capital providers including banks, audit and tax firms, foreign currency providers, etc.
- Develop department performance objectives and goals in collaboration with the Chief Financial Officer;
- Manage team members to the objectives and goals by:
- Providing timely and useful feedback;
- Completing regular performance reviews;
- Implementing new practices, procedures and policies as required;
- Establish strong and respectful rapport with team members by:
- Providing mentorship, training and guidance to billing/credit/collections and accounts payables teams; and
- Ensuring team culture remains intact.
- Join a growth-oriented company with a global presence and opportunity for travel;
- Enjoy an environment that encourages personal and professional growth, with a team of supportive and inspiring colleagues;
- Opportunity to work with a dedicated and long-tenured accounting team; and
- Competitive compensation and benefits package that is benchmarked within industry.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build relationships within the company by demonstrating willingness to collaborate, participate, and educate on perspectives from an accounting and finance angle;
- Facilitate the transition with the current controller within the first four months;
- Integrate effectively into the finance team;
- Complete migration of data storage from local server to cloud storage;
- Perform financial analysis and assist in identifying risk mitigation strategies for company growth opportunities; and
- Review existing policies and procedures to ensure alignment with corporate objections and governance practices.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field;
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation, or equivalent; and
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working in a complex fast-paced environment and managing teams of 10+ staff in a finance and accounting setting;
- Demonstrated understanding of ASPE standards and ability to apply standards to business transactions;
- Strong experience with full cycle accounting, coordinating budgeting, and completing corporate financial consolidations;
- Track record of successfully coordinating collection of financial information from remote and autonomous business units and standardizing reporting from different financial systems for the purposes of financial analysis and reporting to the Executive and external stakeholders;
- Previous experience managing external stakeholders including key banking, product vendor, legal, and currency provider relationships;
- Demonstrated knowledge of cashflow planning and cash management;
- Ability to identify material issues or risks and bring them to the attention of the Executive management;
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Understanding of foreign exchange hedging is considered an asset;
- Industry knowledge and familiarity with Asset-Based Lending and interpreting contracts is considered an asset; and
- Demonstrated understanding of financial modelling and working capital management.
Di-Corp is looking for someone who brings:
- a mentorship and continuous improvement mindset to team members to ensure they can reach their full potentials and grow in their roles;
- a willingness to discuss and provide opinions on high risks and issues with the Executive team;
- elements of fun and collaboration as is in line with corporate culture;
- a self motivated approach to work and is comfortable building relationships with team members in a remote setting.
- Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the organization, and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with all levels of the organization. Open to receiving constructive feedback and willing to engage in robust healthy discussion to foster the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Develops Talent: Developing the team to meet both their career goals and Di-Corp goals. Building team member competencies to inspire them to take on new challenges and step up when difficult situations arise.
- Drives Results: Infusing the team and organization with a sense of urgency. Creating a culture where organizational performance is always top of mind. Setting priorities and developing and executing plans that achieve the desired outcome for Di-Corp.
- Flexible: Pays attention to the circumstance and adjusts accordingly. Demonstrates ability to be nimble and responsive to external factors impacting business success.
- Innovative: Drives the project forward, keeping up to date with trends. Brings a creative approach to solving problems and out of box thinking.
- Leadership: Collaborative leader that provides the coaching, support, encouragement, and direction required to engage and empower employees in the accomplishment of project goals and objectives. Models positive leadership behaviors and maintains professionalism under pressure and uncertainty. Provides timely feedback and guidance to employees, ensuring their development and success is supported. Ability to adapt leadership style to different audiences as needed.
Di-Corp is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. Di-Corp welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and Di-Corp throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AAPD-114703 Controller | Di-Corp - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.