Controller – AltaSteel Ltd.
AltaSteel, is a scrap-based mini-mill operation located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The plant has both melting and casting facilities and a production capability of over 350,000 tons of steel billets annually. The Company makes a variety of round, flat, and square bar shapes for use by downstream re-manufacturers in the mining, oil and gas, construction and OEM industries. AltaSteel is also a world leader in the manufacturing of heat-treated grinding rod, which it markets directly to mining operations around the globe. The Company employs over 350 people and is considered one of the largest employers in the Alberta capital region.
AltaSteel was founded in 1955 and is distinguished as having the first continuous casting operation for carbon steels in North America. Implemented in 1962, this operation was one of the most significant steps forward in steelmaking technology in the past 50 years. This entrepreneurial spirit is still a big part of the Company’s culture which is characterized by a high level of technical capability, a “can do” attitude, and an innovative approach to finding low cost solutions to complex technical challenges.
For further information about AltaSteel, please visit their website at www.altasteel.com.
Job Title: Controller
Reports to:VP Finance and Administration
Direct Reports: Senior Financial Analyst, Intermediate Accountant, Accountant, Accounts Payable
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance and Administration, the Corporate Controller will be responsible for all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, financial reporting along with the establishment and operation of accounting policies and procedures in accordance with GAAP and IFRS. The successful candidate will provide leadership and mentoring to the Finance Department including responsibility for tax, treasury, along with the further development and optimization of the company’s ERP system. In addition, this position will play an integral management role with responsibility for the budgeting and forecasting on behalf of the organization.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
External & Internal Financial Reporting:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with IFRS
- Preparation of quarterly and annual management’s discussion and analysis (MD&A)
- Prepare internal monthly management reporting packages
- Research, implement, execute and keep the organization informed regarding the impact of impending changes to accounting standards
- Manage and coordinate the quarterly review and annual audit functions
- Process and continuous improvement projects (financial accounting and operational)
- Assistance with development and coordination of annual budgeting, forecasting and strategic planning activities
- Review and assistance with monthly, quarterly and annual tax provision processes
- Assistance with management and coordination of tax compliance function including coordination with external service providers where applicable
- Oversight and coordination of the Company’s CSOX compliance
- Assistance with regulatory files
- Assistance coordinating with legal counsel related to review of various securities filings, disclosures and similar matters
- Provide leadership and development for direct reports
- Provide accounting technical coaching for finance team
- Model and promote the AltaSteel core values of safety and the customer
- Drive a flexible, continuous improvement culture that has high employee engagement
- Ensure performance targets are met, a sound team environment is established, desired behaviour is rewarded, and poor performance is managed
- Development of risk reporting function
- Participation in AltaSteel’s implementation of various ERP and information system projects
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Finalize current corporate accounting initiatives and the successful implementation of these initiatives
- Provide leadership to and gained buy-in from direct reports
- Identify continuous improvement initiatives to improve upon and fine-tune the corporate accounting function
- Assist in the development and optimization of the current Dynamics 365 implementation
- Be well versed in the business model and operations of AltaSteel and have built strong partnerships with key internal stakeholders to ensure an effective and collaborative working relationship
The successful candidate will have the following:
- The successful individual will possess a Bachelor’s Degree, ideally in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration, and possess a professional accounting designation – CPA preferred.
- Minimum 2-3 years managing a finance team
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles, GAAP and IFRS
- Prior experience working in a manufacturing environment is mandatory
- Proven leadership skills with 10-15 years of progressive experience in a fast-paced environment
- Strong knowledge of financial management and reporting experience to ensure global reporting requirements are effectively met
- Involvement in ERP System development and optimization
Competencies and Attributes
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to interface across all levels of the organization
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; be an open and candid communicator; deals calmly with stress and establishes trust and respect with colleagues and customers
- Self-motivated, well organized with excellent communication (verbal and written) and leadership skills
- Results-oriented, with a strong sense of urgency
- Customer centric approach, aligning with the overall business values of AltaSteel
- Ability to exercise judgement and work independently, taking initiative
- Proven ability to deliver clear and concise reports to management
- Detailed, passionate about data integrity, accuracy and confidentiality and adept at juggling competing priorities
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ASKL-253064 Controller – AltaSteel Ltd. - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.