Continuous Improvement Manager – Gateway Mechanical Services
Gateway Mechanical Services was founded in 1968 and is privately owned. They have established themselves as a leader in the commercial and industrial refrigeration, heating and air conditioner industry (HVACR). Attending to 40,000+ service calls per year, Gateway is the largest HVAC & Refrigeration service provider in Western Canada. Their model is comprised of local branch teams with fully qualified personnel representing HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing/gas fitting, sheet metal and electrical trades. These teams are supported by centers of excellence including professional engineers and project managers which ensures Gateway’s full technical capability is available for every project and service call.
Gateway Mechanical Services has a passion for the work they do, and their employees exemplify this every day. This passion coupled with an uncompromising commitment to excellence drives everything they do. They have a saying, “With Gateway, it’s personal™”. That means they go the extra mile when others won’t. They find solutions when others can’t. They do whatever it takes to get the job done right the first time because that’s how it should always be done.
Vision: We build environment that unlock potential, inspire performance, and deliver peace of mind.
Mission: Working as One Team with customers and each other, Gateway Mechanical Services leverages our expertise and work ethic to provide responsive mechanical contracting solutions to commercial, institutional, and industrial customers across western Canada.
Our experienced group of team members ensure that:
- Our mechanical systems run efficiently, leaving our customers with peace of mind and time to focus on being productive
- Our employees are highly trained in their area of expertise and provide quality service to our customers
- Our industry remains progressive utilizing advances in technology in our day-to-day operations
- Our company embraces innovation, remains financially strong, and honours our commitments to customers and community
Values: After 50 years in business, who we are at our core has not changed. The values that guide our actions and decisions are the same today as they were the day we started. Gateway Mechanical has seen consistent growth over the years by supporting the community, building a strong reputation and focusing on customer satisfaction. The drive and commitment behind our success has always been in the quality of our people.
For more information, please visit: https://gatewaymechanical.ca/
|Job Title:||Continuous Improvement Manager|
|Reports to:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Location:||Edmonton, AB or Calgary, AB|
The Continuous Improvement Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a continuous improvement program to assess, monitor, and enhance business performance across the organization. The focus for this role is to support Gateway Mechanical Services by improving customer experience, reducing costs, enhancing productivity, and improving employee engagement.
The successful candidate will work with departmental leaders to identify continuous improvement opportunities and projects and will support change management by working with various teams within the organization to verify productivity and target potential improvements. The Continuous Improvement Manger will foster a culture of continuous improvement and drive a business transformation plan resulting in improved process and company growth.
- Develop and manage a continuous improvement strategy for Gateway to enhance business performance and facilitate growth;
- Continuously challenge and rethink how Gateway approaches Continuous Improvement so the value delivered exceeds the cost of the continuous improvement function;
- Execute departmental business initiatives in alignment with Gateway’s growth objectives, strategic and business plans, culture and Mission, Vision and Values;
- Create and execute annual departmental business plans (including metrics), in conjunction with Chief Operating Officer, that support the objectives of the company; and
- Stay abreast of current developments and trends in all relevant technical/professional knowledge areas with the objective of ascertaining new productivity or efficiency benefits.
Financial Performance and Results:
- Meeting departmental budget expectations and providing financial reports and budget information to the Chief Operating Officer;
- Working with team members across the organization to provide solutions that increase Gateway’s profitability by achieving cost and resource efficiencies through the continuous improvement function; and
- Establish metrics to monitor financial savings as compared to established goals and targets and the overall return on investment of the continuous improvement function.
- Improvement Initiative Assessment
- Develop a framework for analyzing continuous improvement opportunities including systems and tools for scoring and prioritization;
- Develop a business case approach for justification of projects, initiatives, and expenditure across the business;
- Ensure the business impact and project objectives are identified, always reported on, and managed; and
- Monitor benefits realization post implementation of projects.
- Process Improvement
- Directs and facilitates the ongoing lean improvement process using Lean Six Sigma techniques;
- Support the delivery of greater value and efficiency by identifying improved ways of working and eliminating unnecessary complexity within business processes;
- Provide business process mapping expertise, analysis, and support;
- Encourage and facilitate ongoing process monitoring and identification of issues;
- Provide advice to process owners regarding problem solving and strategies to address deviations in process performance; and
- Perform statistical analysis to support process improvement.
- Continuous Improvement Culture
- Lead and facilitate workshops to drive ideas and solutions;
- Lead cross-departmental continuous improvement focus groups and regular focus group meetings; and
- Work with department leaders to build a continuous improvement environment/culture to support an ongoing program of change.
- Business Performance Metrics
- Develop standardized reporting and dashboards, including the overall business key performance indicators; and
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to build a business intelligence solution for the organization, including hardware, software, policies and procedures for data collection, storage, and analysis.
Health, Wellness, Safety and Environment:
- Champion Gateway’s Safety Culture to meet or exceed TRIF objectives; and
- Maintain safe and healthy work environment by ensuring HSE compliance and the systematic application of best practices to all aspects of the continuous improvement process.
- Create objectives and manage the performance management program for your area, and create performance improvement plans when required;
- Support the skills development of employees, ensuring adequate support, continuous improvement, training and development of additional competencies by acting as a mentor and providing training when necessary;
- Champion employee engagement strategies and promote engagement initiatives;
- Ensure staffing levels are sufficient for successful operations;
- Conduct onboarding, orientation, and training for team members;
- Review and approve time off requests for direct reports;
- Maintain a positive tone within the team and work cooperatively through personal behavior, work contribution and the sharing of expertise and knowledge; and
- Act as an ambassador for Gateway Mechanical Services in all dealings with the public, management, and team members.
Other required duties may be assigned that fall within the parameters of the primary responsibility of the position.
- Over 53 years of service and a leader in the commercial and industrial air conditioning, heating and refrigeration industry;
- Join a highly skilled, passionate team that has an uncompromising commitment to excellence that drives everything they do;
- The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to put their mark on developing continuous improvement processes that will help in the growth of the company; and
- Gateway Mechanical Services has an entrepreneurial spirit and tenacity based on their foundation for success, which continues to guide them daily.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of Gateway Mechanical Services’ current processes and service capabilities;
- Build trusting, open, collaborative and respective relationships throughout the organization;
- Create an immediate and long-term strategic vision of what process improvements are required, then effectively communicate and implement the plan with the team; and
- Successfully complete 2 – 3 continuous improvement projects from start to finish.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Administration, or a related field; and
- Accredited Lean Six Sigma Black Belt.
- Five (5) years’ proven continuous improvement analytical experience from a similar role, including project management and business analysis;
- At least two (2) years previous management experience responsible for the hiring, training, and discipline of employees;
- Experience in the HVAC/Refrigeration industry preferred or in the Construction industry;
- Strong understanding of continuous improvement concepts including Six Sigma, Lean, and value stream mapping;
- Computer literacy with intermediate to expert knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 Suite; and
- Valid & clean Class 5 Drivers License.
Competencies and Attributes
- Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the organization, and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness.
- Change Management: Ability to gain buy in from all stakeholder groups to lead change. Effectively manages and implements policy or procedural change. Ability to lead the team through change with limited impact on service delivery. Proactively communicates project status to all stakeholders.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with non-technical professionals when delivering complex technical information. Excellent comprehension and command of the English language (written and verbal).
- Continuous Improvement: Implementing Lean process improvements to better serve the customer journey.
- Customer Focus: Being successful means continuously paying attention to customer needs and adapting as these evolve. This heightens the importance of understanding customer experience strategies and feedback.
- Develops Talent: Developing the team to meet both their career goals and Gateway Mechanical Services goals through performance management.
- Emotional Intelligence: The ability to recognize your own emotions and those of others, discern between different feelings and label them appropriately, use emotional information to guide thinking and behaviour. To manage and/or adjust emotions to adapt to environments or achieve goals. The ability to control and express your emotions, and to handle interpersonal relations judiciously and empathetically.
- Project Management: Delivers excellence and creates a culture of accountability with respect to project management. Proactively analyzes project management by implementing the right tools and standards and overseeing budget and forecasting, controls, resourcing and scheduling, evaluations and reporting.
- Strategic Planning: Develops and executes business unit planning, using data analytics and intelligence and reports on performance.
- Solutions Oriented: Drives to results. Motivated to accomplish tasks to achieve project milestones. Faces challenges as opportunities and inspires same in others.
- Time Management: Driven to be highly productive exercises strong time management skills.
Gateway Mechanical Services is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and enriches our work and is essential to operational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Optimum Talent and Gateway Mechanical Services throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AUOP-015854 Continuous Improvement Manager – Gateway Mechanical Services - AB - Calgary and AreaAB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.