Vice President, Corporate Finance, Corporate Controlling | Confidential Client
|Reports to:||Vice President, Corporate Finance, Corporate Controlling|
|Direct Reports:||Chief Financial Officer (CFO)|
|Indirect Reports:||Oversees the Corporate Controlling Team (Approx. 10 people)|
Reporting to the CFO of this publicly traded oilfield services company, the Vice President Corporate Finance, Corporate Controlling will be responsible for the financial oversight of all company entities. This includes preparation of all internal and external financial statements and related analysis for each operating company, maintaining and developing internal controls, preparation of operating budgets, cash forecasting and capital management. The successful candidate will also be responsible for leading, developing, and mentoring the corporate reporting
The position will include the following responsibilities:
Corporate Controlling (Business Unit & Holding’s Level):
- Lead the Controlling Team to establish a supportive function for the Organization to ensure accurate and timely production of all financial information
- Assess effectiveness of current processes identifying and implementing improvements where necessary to strengthen the Organization’s close and reporting cycles to ensure accurate, efficient reporting
- Document and govern processes, including quarterly review of full period close packages and period end balances to ensure accurate accounting records are maintained
- Review, approval, and recordation of journal entries within the Delegation of Authority Guidelines as well as consolidation of unusual Journal Entries, contingencies etc.
- Establish and maintain standardized GL setups, numbers, and classifications for the Organization. Govern adherence.
- Maintain an ongoing understanding of the Organization’s business unit operations, strategic plans, and the related financial issues. Coordinate with the Controlling Team to conduct analyses of the divisional results, including analyzing trends within the business improvement opportunities, growth opportunities, redundancies, etc.
- Establish Organization dashboarding for enhanced reporting and assess automation potential
- Coordinate the functional allocations of costs incurred on behalf of multiple entities
- Coordinate effective accounting and reconciliation of all intercompany and interdivisional transactions.
- Assess best practices and templating for financial calculations and parameters (i.e., burden accruals, deferred revenue for short term contracts, capital leases, FCF, EBIT etc.)
- Coordinate monthly variance analysis and reporting to Functional Managers of budget vs actuals for Holdings inclusive of all contained Functions (IT, SCM, PC, Safety, QC, HR etc.)
- Work with Functional Managers and coordinate monthly reforecasting, incorporating historical results and future assumptions for Holdings inclusive of all contained Functions (IT, SCM, PC, Safety, QC, HR etc.)
- Coordinate the consolidation of the financial reporting of the organization, providing analysis on a regular basis for Executives and Board members including assistance with the organization’s consolidated MD&A.
- Manage performance of direct reports. Set and communicate goals, strategic direction, and priorities to ensure success.
- Coordinate with VP Operational Finance to develop training modules for onboarding and Lunch and Learns for continuous development.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and implement practices and procedures to deliver these
- Lead the budget preparation process for the organization including standardization, staff training and guidance where required, scheduling etc.
- Coordinate the Corporate Holding’s budget and provide guidance to Functional Managers with respect to their budgets (cost centers IT, SCM, PC, Safety, QC, HR etc.).
- Coordinate budgeted functional allocations
- Coordinate the consolidation of the organization’s budget,
Internal Controls and Financial Reporting Audits:
- Lead all internal controls and financial reporting audits (with the exception of Vendor audits).
- Work collaboratively with the auditors and provide them with all necessary information and supporting documentation including coordination of external Team and internal Team communications and deliverables.
- Review and communicate all historical and future audit findings with Teams and impacted Stakeholders. Govern to ensure future compliance.
- Establish audit deliverables and standardized audit reporting at period ends including standardizing the origin of the information being provided (i.e., Smartlists used).
- Coordination of the review, updating, and maintenance of current written process narratives.
- Establish internal governance procedures to ensure internal controls are adequately maintained and adhered to; including but not limited to, establishing an approval process for all accounting process/policy changes, Organization delegation of authority compliance, batch approvals etc.
- Maintain an ongoing understanding of all Bill 198 C-Sox as well as International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) ensuring Organizational compliance.
- Maintain an ongoing understanding all applicable tax laws, rules, and regulations ensuring organizational compliance.
- Review and approval of all current and future tax submissions.
- Review historical tax audit findings and ensure future compliance.
- Identify areas of risk and perform risk audits for previously unidentified historical non-compliance and recommend mitigation procedures.
- Coordinate with Functional Managers to establish processes for identifying operational tax risk, applicability, and application. Train Teams accordingly.
- Lead tax audits when applicable.
- Coordinate the preparation of annual tax returns with external firm.
Corporate Development – Banking and Capital Initiatives:
- Work closely with CEO/CFO to negotiate and establish key banking terms and covenants as well as any new debt instrument.
- Utilize banking knowledge to be a key point of contact for external banking relationships (BMO/ATB/BDC) for the purposes of providing information and answering queries.
- Work closely with banking partners and internal and external counsel to ensure proper and timely documentation of all banking agreements.
- Coordinate internal financial data to provide to banking participants in a timely and accurate manner.
- Work closely with ELT to improve cash conversion cycle and determine the optimal use of free cash flow (debt reduction, capital expenditures)
Corporate Development – Strategic Initiatives:
- Work closely with ELT to evaluate M&A opportunities and determine alignment with long term corporate growth strategy.
- Work closely with CEO/CFO to prepare quarterly board materials, annual strategic planning session materials and ad hoc presentations.
- Work closely with CEO/CFO on other special scenario analysis and modelling (i.e., PIP, AIP, Long-term cash flow forecasting)
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Establish open and trusting relationships with the CFO, Senior Leadership Team, subordinates, peers, the Board, and other key stakeholder groups
- Establish a high level of confidence throughout the organization regarding knowledge of and contribution to the organization’s business model, strategy, and growth objectives
- Through a “hands-on” approach, provide leadership, mentorship, and guidance to the corporate controlling team in meeting their objectives
- Develop a thorough understanding of managing the day-to-day operations for the corporate reporting, tax, treasury, finance, and risk functions including the implementation of continuous improvement initiatives
- Support the quarter-end and year-end audit process through effective collaboration and financial reporting
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or Business Administration or related discipline
- Canadian CPA (CA, CMA, CGA) designation is required
- A minimum of ten years’ post qualification experience
- Hands-on experience preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and working paper files, including MD&A
- Strong financial accounting, reporting and analytical skills to ensure timely and accurate preparation of financial information
- Strong knowledge of IFRS and public reporting requirements and regulations
- Strong experience in external audit requirements
- Solid foundation and previous experience in Canadian taxation
- Experience working in the midstream/infrastructure industry would be an asset
- A deep understanding of key business driver and fundamentals with a track record of delivering results
- Experience with building and fostering relationships with external and internal stakeholder groups
Competencies and Attributes:
- List personal strengths and characteristics required for this role
- Must be “hands on” in your approach and process-driven with the ability to handle multiple priorities while interacting effectively with all levels of staff both within the department and within other departments of the organization
- Outstanding teamwork, communication, and presentation skills, both written and oral
- Provide leadership at an advanced level of technical expertise while maintaining an ability to work independently
- Impeccable sense of integrity, character, and personal values
- Strong leadership, with highly developed motivational and coaching skills
- Ability to exercise sound professional judgment and decision making on financial, business, organizational and resource management issues
- Strong attention to detail without sacrificing focus on the big picture
- Exceptional customer service focus combined with a broad, hands-on accounting, finance, tax, treasury and risk knowledge and experience
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A025896 (AHAY-863315) Vice President, Corporate Finance, Corporate Controlling | Confidential Client - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.