Complaints Director – Alberta Dental Association and College
About the Alberta Dental Association & College
The Alberta Dental Association and College (ADA&C) registers dentists and provides leadership to the dental profession on professional regulations and member services. Additionally, the ADA&C provides the public with information and services to ensure that Albertans receive safe, appropriate, ethical and quality dental care as an integral part of general health and provides leadership to the dental profession on professional regulations and member services.
The Alberta Dental Association and College provides leadership to the dental profession on professional regulations and member services, and provides the public with information and services, to ensure that Albertans receive safe, appropriate, ethical and quality dental care as an integral part of general health.
Albertans recognize and regularly use dental services as key components of their primary health care. The dentist-patient relationship is seen as central to the ongoing health of Albertans.
Albertans trust their dentists and view them as the leaders in the delivery of the most advanced, evidenced-based, and caring dental services. Dental practices are considered a vital part of Alberta communities, and dentists are active contributors to community life.
The Alberta Dental Association and College upholds the public trust of dentists and preserves the integrity of the relationship of dentists with government, other service care providers, supporters of dental services, the business community, and the marketplace in general.
- Optimizing dental health services for all Albertans through governance leadership in the profession that ensures safe, appropriate, and ethical oral health care.
- Effective and efficient resolution of problems regarding dental health services provided by dentists; with patients, dentists, government, industry, and other health professionals.
- In cooperation with patients/consumers, dentists, government, industry, other dental organizations and health professionals, Alberta Dental Association and College supports effective resolution of health-care delivery issues to ensure that the public does not receive unsafe, inappropriate, or unethical oral health services.
- Effective monitoring and support of continuing competence and capacity to practice of Alberta dentists.
- Effective communication and collaborative relationships with dentists, the public, government, industry, other dental organizations, and health professionals.
- Promotion of excellence in the delivery of dental health services.
- Positioning of dentists and dental services with all stakeholders as trustworthy, competent, and responsive to personal wellness of Albertans.
- Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Openness and Transparency
- Effective and Efficient Stewardship
- Promotion of Excellence in the Profession
For more information on the Alberta Dental Association and College visit www.dentalhealthalberta.ca
The Alberta Dental Association and College values the principles of inclusion and diversity. We therefore extend equal employment opportunity to all applicants.
|Job Title:||Complaints Director|
|Reports to:||Chief Executive Officer|
|Direct Reports:||3 (Lawyer (x2), Executive Assistant)|
The Complaints Director position is a senior management position reporting to the Chief Executive Officer. This position functions independently using discretion, judgment and knowledge of established policies and procedures of the organization. This position also serves as a member of the senior management team, participating with other senior management staff and CEO in charting the direction of the Organization.
- Manage all complaints and information collected and processed under the Health Professions Act and other relevant legislation, by ensuring that all complaints and information acquired and leading to an investigation is compliant with relevant legislation;
- Conduct complaint investigations and ensure that the process proceeds according to administrative fairness principles and procedures, and upholds the trust and confidence of the public, members, government, and the dental profession at large;
- Oversee the Professional Conduct Department to ensure the effective and efficient management and tracking of complaint and investigation files, including summary reporting, from intake through to compliance monitoring and enforcement of settlement or hearing decisions;
- Carry out duties as required for hearings tribunals and appeals;
- Respond, on behalf of the ADA&C, to external inquiries or reviews regarding complaints and the investigation process at the ADA&C, as well as responding to external inquiries or reviews regarding the conduct of members;
- Liaise and participate as appropriate, on behalf of the ADA&C, in collaborative matters with other regulatory bodies, the dental profession, and government; and
- Develop and implement professional conduct policies, procedures and standards as set out in the Health Professions Act.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Utilize administrative control to effectively deal with files, and to meet appropriate timeline expectations for dealing with complaints;
- Demonstrate confidence in decision making while advising ADA&C members on matters under discussion;
- Ensure complaints procedures are conducted objectively, thoroughly, and fairly;
- Continue advancing process improvement initiatives within the professional conduct sector of the ADA&C; and
- Build strong and trusted relationships within the complex multi-stakeholder environment within which ADA&C
The successful candidate will have the following:
Ideally, the best person for this role will come from a dental or other health regulation background, with knowledge of and experience working with relevant regulated health profession legislation.
However, we are open to considering candidates from diverse backgrounds including but not limited to all regulated health professionals, law or related fields.
- Degree or diploma from a post-secondary institution preferred; an equivalent combination of experience/coursework may be considered; and
- Education in a dental or other health-related discipline is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of, and experience with, relevant legislation, in particular the Health Professions Act, administrative law, professional discipline and investigations is preferred
- Prior leadership experience in a senior management role is considered an asset.
Competencies and Attributes
- Commitment to upholding regulatory accountability in a best practice environment;
- High level of tact and discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Unimpeachable integrity;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to exercise judgment and decision-making skills;
- Excellent critical thinking skills;
- Demonstrated leadership ability;
- Collaborative leadership style;
- Interested in leading a team and working to help them build their competencies and experience;
- Comfortable in having forthright and potentially difficult communications on regulatory processes and accountabilities with members; and
- Dedicated to a consistent, process-oriented approach with a commitment to the administrative process
Closing date: February 12, 2021
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AYWC-507378 Complaints Director – Alberta Dental Association and College - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.