City Manager – City of Leduc
CITY OF LEDUC
The City of Leduc is a thriving community of roughly 30,000 citizens and is perfectly situated along Alberta’s major transportation connections including their regional partner, the Edmonton International Airport. Offering the best of both worlds, Leduc has a younger demographic who enjoy the convenience of urban amenities, yet have proximity to employment opportunities in a smaller, family-oriented community. Leduc has been one of the fastest growing communities in the region, and in 2018 was listed as one of the “friendliest communities in Canada”.
The City of Leduc has something for everyone including programs and services that enhance quality of life and sense of community. The pride of Leduc is the Leduc Recreation Centre which offers an abundance of offerings from NHL sized rinks to an aquatics and fitness centre. Residents can explore over 60km of paved Multiway Trails as well as the William F. Lede Park by Telford Lake. Some of Leduc’s unique local attractions include the Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre, Dr. Woods House Museum, the Stone Barn Garden, and one of the last wooden grain elevators in Alberta.
Governed by a seven-member Council and Administration with a workforce of over 450 employees, the City of Leduc is proud to serve their community. With their Mission statement People.Building.Community, the City currently has four key areas of focus:
- A City Where People Want to Live, Work and Play
- A City with a Plan for the Future
- An Economically Prosperous City and Region
- A Collaborative Community-Builder and Regional Partner
For further information about the City of Leduc, please visit their website at www.leduc.ca
|Reports to:||Mayor & Council|
|6: General Manager, Community & Protective Services; General Manager, Corporate Services; General Manager, Infrastructure & Planning; City Solicitor; Director, Government Relations & Corporate Planning Strategy; and Executive Assistant, City Manager.|
As the sole employee of City Council, the City Manager will offer leadership, strategic direction, enthusiasm and unwavering support to a staff of more than 450 employees, while overseeing a total operating and capital budget of approximately $135M. As the administrative leader for the City of Leduc, the City Manager leads and manages the overall business to ensure strategic and business plans are effectively implemented, the results monitored and reported to Mayor & Council and the financial and operational objectives are attained.
This role presents the successful candidate with the opportunity to maintain service delivery and an unwavering commitment to the City of Leduc while simultaneously supporting a Regional vision of opportunity and growth. The successful candidate will direct the overall planning, coordination and control of all municipal operations of the City in accordance with the objectives, policies and plans approved by Mayor & Council and the requirements of the Municipal Government Act and all other statutory regulations affecting the government of the City. The City Manager is responsible for facilitating strategy development and implementing the vision of Mayor & Council, as well as leading the City of Leduc to build on past successes in delivering the highest caliber of services to its community.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
Council Affairs and Relations:
- Ensures the effective administration of all municipal activities and serves as the interface between Mayor & Council and Administration;
- Effectively communicates with the Mayor, Council and Committees to ensure information and updates on key initiatives are provided such that Mayor & Council are up-to-date and supported to make good decisions on the operation and affairs of the City;
- Collaborates with Mayor & Council on the formulation of Council objectives and policies; recommends policies and programs; and implements those that are approved by Mayor & Council; and
- Provides Mayor & Council opportunities to interact with the City’s senior executive management, both during and outside Council and Committee meetings.
- Enables, empowers, and holds direct reports accountable to effectively meet their goals and objectives;
- Models the desired culture and values of the City through daily actions and behaviors;
- Balances providing leadership and direction with empowerment to ensure an engaged and dedicated team, City wide;
- Supports internal staff development and ensures professional development practices and plans are in place and executed; ensures the City is prepared for succession at all levels; and
- Ensures staff maintain a positive, customer solution-based / customer service focus with residents.
Financial Performance and Risk Management:
- Oversees the finances of the City, managing its growth in a cost-effective and efficient manner;
- Ensures the development and management of policies and procedures concerning budgets, expenditures and financial controls;
- Directs, in conjunction with the General Manager, Corporate Services, the preparation of capital and operating budgets and the timely submission to Mayor & Council with appropriate substantiating information;
- Supports excellence and efficiency in service and program delivery in spite of the fiscal challenges facing all municipalities;
- Ensures ongoing day-to-day business operations are resourced appropriately, are executed to plan, and are completed within time and budget constraints; and
- Utilizes available tools to ensure financial decisions are well thought out and data-driven.
Strategic Planning and Execution:
- Engages with Mayor & Council annually in strategic, business, and budget planning;
- Ensures the strategic plan is properly resourced and executed within set timelines;
- Presents business plans and annual budgets for review and adoption by Mayor & Council; and
- Ensures initiatives are developed and implemented to accomplish strategic objectives.
External Stakeholder Relations:
- Develops and maintains credible and authentic relationships with external stakeholder groups including community leaders, local organizations, citizens and businesses;
- Ensures residents are engaged with Administration in two-way communication by both providing information (e.g. reports, notices) and collecting information and feedback (e.g. surveys, community meetings);
- Maintains awareness of the municipal, county, provincial and federal political environments and incorporates knowledge into budget and ongoing operations as appropriate for the City; and
- Represents the City of Leduc positively as an ambassador for the City at meetings with the Region, other municipalities, business partners, and community stakeholders in the Region.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will include, but is not limited to, the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop and grow trusting and respectful relationships with the Mayor, Council and Administration by facilitating the flow of fact-based information to Council in a clear and timely manner;
- Continue to build and strengthen the administrative team while fostering an atmosphere of engagement, dedication and a psychologically safe workplace;
- Achieve a measured improvement in culture that is evidenced by improvements in employee turnover rates;
- Demonstrate a firm understanding of the City’s strategic plan as well as successfully translating the strategic plan into an annual operational plan; and
- Develop a keen understanding of the financial landscape and budgeting process and definitively demonstrate effective and efficient use of resources in the achievement of outcomes and delivery of projects and services to Leduc’s citizens.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree with major course work in public administration, business administration, or a related field;
- Certified Local Government Managers (CLGM) Designation or National Advanced Certificate in Local Government Administration would be an asset.
- 10+ years’ demonstrated experience in a leadership role within a municipal environment or other industry of comparable complexity and diversity;
- Experience operating in or having professional interaction with a local government may be an asset;
- Experience working with, on, or reporting to a governing body or board of directors;
- Executive leadership experience with a proven track record of performance;
- Familiarity with the Municipal Government Act and/or ability to translate and develop formal policy;
- Track record of supporting and developing an environment of learning and growth (i.e. coaching, mentoring, developing and supporting employees);
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders; and
- Demonstrated success in a role requiring collaboration and visionary leadership.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Outstanding communication skills:
- Superior listening skills with the patience to develop a deep understanding of issues;
- Able to assess audience and adapt communication style accordingly; and
- Communicates effectively in multiple media.
- Motivational leadership:
- Fosters a culture of shared successes and demonstrates ownership or accountability of failures;
- Builds committed and collaborative teams across a diverse employee group;
- Promotes and provides opportunity for continuous improvement;
- Provides autonomy to staff to leverage individual strengths, while also offering opportunities to develop skills and capacity; and
- Personifies the City’s values related to diversity and inclusion.
- Committed to integrity, personal accountability and transparency:
- Open, honest and fair in dealing with others;
- Candid, sincere and ethical;
- Takes personal accountability for driving and delivering results and achieving outcomes; and
- Confident in asking for support or clarity from Council.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically:
- Anticipates the impact of decisions within a complex system;
- Identifies and researches options before making a decision;
- Emphasizes corporate values, mission and long-term goals while staying on top of short-term objectives or perspectives; and
- Considers external realities facing the City and adapts strategy accordingly.
- Builds strong partnerships internally and externally:
- Understands and utilizes the power of developing and maintaining a network of relationships to achieve goals;
- Demonstrates strength and competence in finding ‘win-win’ compromises;
- Demonstrates a high degree of political acumen;
- Contributes and shares information for mutual and long-term gain;
- Is seen as approachable by residents and community partners;
- Displays high levels of emotional intelligence; and
- Respectfully challenges Council to ensure decisions are made in the best interest of the City of Leduc.
- Develops innovative ideas and embraces change to enhance results:
- Focuses on and anticipates resident needs and is responsive to issues;
- Possesses a prudent level of risk-tolerance that allows for new ideas to be presented and acted upon; and
- Constantly seeks to achieve best practice.
- Problem Solving:
- Demonstrates intuitive, innovative approach to problem solving;
- Exhibits well balanced judgment in arriving at conclusions under a variety of situations; and
- Evaluates risk in assessing opportunities.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AVWH-167165 City Manager – City of Leduc - AB - Leduc (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.