Chief Technology Officer & Vice-President Business Intelligence – Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board
The Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board (SaskWCB) has a legislated mandate to deliver workplace insurance to Saskatchewan employers and benefits to Saskatchewan workers if they are hurt at work. The SaskWCB is governed by a three-person, full-time Board of Directors (BoD). The Chief Executive Officer reports to the BoD and is supported by an executive team of five.
Anchored by the Meredith Principles, the vision of the SaskWCB is to eliminate injuries and restore abilities. Their mission is to be a customer-centric organization that continuously seeks to add value for their customers through a culture of Continuous Process Improvement. SaskWCB values guide their actions and decisions:
- Safety – we relentlessly pursue Mission: Zero ensuring all employees have the healthy and safe workplace they deserve
- Respect for People – we recognize the value and worth of each individual and their contribution to our success and we treat everyone in an open, honest and dignified way
- Excellence – we strive for perfection and seek improvement and innovation every day in how we carry out our work in service of our customers
- Collaboration – we work hand-in-hand with our partners and with our customers to deliver on their expectations and meet their needs
- Customer Focused – we create an exceptional experience for all our customers and we bring their perspective to the forefront of our conversations and improvement efforts
The SaskWCB has distinguished itself as a high performing organization relative to its peers across Canada. The organization is recognized as a Top 100 Employer with approximately 450 team members located in Regina (370) and Saskatoon (80) who provide a wide range of programs and services to employers and injured workers. According to the 2018 annual report, the SaskWCB continues to achieve strong financial performance and remains fully funded, with sufficient assets to cover the future costs of all claims in the system. However, significant room for improvement remain!
The SaskWCB has built a foundation for this financial performance by taking a strategic, risk-aware approach to its development, setting targets and measuring success through its balanced scorecard. Committed to being a customer-centric organization and providing excellent service to workers and employers, SaskWCB has evolved their Corporate Beliefs (i.e., people, Mission: Zero, financial, timeliness and quality), as an underpinning to building stronger alignment with respect to their Continuous Process Improvement journey. SaskWCB leadership strives to create a culture and work environment that provides purpose and meaning for their people, enabling staff to attain their collective vision, engaging them in identifying opportunities to improve their processes and ultimately empowering them to make meaningful changes in service of their customers.
The Chief Executive Officer, in consultation with his executive team members, have determined that the future success of the organization will be highly dependent on its information technology and business intelligence capabilities. A decision has been taken to add an executive role that will provide leadership to the building of these capabilities and add value to SaskWCB’s pursuit of their mission & vision. The Chief Executive Officer is seeking a proven, accountable leader who is clearly an expert in the scope of this role; who thrives in a culture of continuous improvement; is an effective steward of their organization’s people and resources; and leads their team, with passion, toward a sustainable future.
You can learn more about the Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board by visiting www.wcbsask.com .
|Job Title:||Chief Technology Officer & Vice-President Business Intelligence|
|Reports to:||Chief Executive Officer|
|Direct Reports:||2 (Chief Information Officer & Manager, Business Intelligence)|
|Indirect Reports:||74 budgeted FTE (66 in IT – includes 8 Managers; 8 staff in BI)|
The Chief Technology Officer & Vice-President, Business Intelligence (herein, CTO,VP-BI) is an executive leader who, reporting to the CEO, will provide direction and support in fulfilling SaskWCB’s mission and pursuit of its vision. Specifically, the CTO, VP-BI will create an insights-led culture, overseeing the development/acquisition and implementation of both the technology and the team required to enable SaskWCB’s strategic objectives while building a best-in-class business intelligence capability. This leader and their team will be expected to integrate data from across the enterprise, giving decision-makers across the SaskWCB rapid access to the information required to make smarter, data-informed decisions. They will oversee and grow the team required for delivering on this mandate.
As a customer-centric leader, the CTO, VP-BI will, through deep collaboration and partnership with other business leaders, identify and execute on opportunities to achieve business objectives; innovate in delivery of products and services; develop information capabilities; and improve operational performance for the organization in service to our customers.
- Works collaboratively with other members of the Executive team and Board of Directors, external suppliers, stakeholders and partners, as required.
- As a member of the Executive Management Team, contributes to the achievement of WCB’s vision/mission and goals through active participation and collaboration in strategic, capital as well as operational planning and deployment; and, through the alignment and enablement of his/her directly reporting departments.
- Engages with WCBs in other jurisdictions to share information and continuously improve upon processes and enabling technology.
- Contributes to the task of enhancing and protecting the image of the SWCB with all its publics.
- Directs, supports, and/or participates in the development and maintenance of Business Continuity Plan, ensuring plan is complete and current.
Strong Oversight and Technology & Data Stewardship:
- Lead the development and effective execution of an integrated information technology and business intelligence vision and strategy for WCB.
- Oversee the development of WCB data strategy; champion, provide expertise and guide data governance and stewardship practice by fostering close and collaborative working relationships with business areas including, but not limited to, a continued focus on data integrity that enables data-driven decision-making.
- Take a risk-based and proactive approach to IT strategy ensuring that related systems, infrastructure and information are protected from issues such as cyberattacks, risks of obsolescence, etc.
- Ensure the continuous development/improvement of WCB’s technology infrastructure, systems, policies, processes and supports that enable and protect the achievement of service needs and corporate objectives.
Provide leadership & insight that enables SWCB performance:
- Builds strong relationships with business groups and their leaders across the enterprise, and develop a detailed understanding of their issues, challenges and opportunities.
- In support of ongoing business transformation and service delivery optimization, identify emerging information technologies to be assimilated, integrated and introduced within WCB.
- Provide and/or facilitate executive level oversight and sponsorship for IT and BI based enterprise Project Management and Change Management processes.
- Deliver exemplary value-added IT services for the organization, ensuring that results and deliverables for all internal/external customers meet and exceed expectations.
- Evaluate overall operations of the IT and BI functions and recommend enhancements or changes where applicable.
- Contribute to sound financial management through the development and implementation of division strategic, capital and operating plans and budgets that are aligned with and support corporate plans taking action relative to variances as necessary.
- Ensures maximum individual and team performance, technical competence and succession management through acquiring, organizing, developing and motivating division personnel and the continual promotion of management excellence.
- Demonstrate, and coach in others, the behaviors, values and processes that best support WCB’s desired culture.
- Model leadership behaviors that nurture a customer-centric, continuous process improvement culture.
Opportunities and Challenges
- Heavily influence and impact the top strategic business and risk priorities for SaskWCB
- Build confidence in the technology and business intelligence capabilities of the organization and create buy-in to a clear path forward for even greater value from future investments
- Connect with thought leaders and best-practice organizations and lead thoughtful application of learning to SaskWCB where appropriate to capture potential value
- Passionate about workplace health and safety and Mission: Zero mandate.
- Liberate data, making it accessible so it is integral to SaskWCB’s success; inspire technology investments that enable SaskWCB to deliver even greater value to its customers and stakeholders
- Opportunities for personal growth and development of self and others.
- Organization focused on continuous improvements to better serve its customers.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build effective, collaborative relationships with CEO and executive peers, senior management teams and key customers.
- Advance key strategic and operation improvements.
- Positively contribute to the organization; is respectful of colleagues and has the respect of his / her downline and external stakeholders.
- Team feeling their profession development is being supported, that they are growing.
- Implementation of the Daily Management System within respective areas of responsibility.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Education in computer science and / or business, preferably at a Masters level.
- Relevant professional designations are an asset.
- Extensive experience in senior management, information technology and business intelligence leadership in complex organizations.
- Proven to work collaboratively with diverse leaders, communicate Information Technology and Business Intelligence visions and strategies across all levels of the organization and build consensus around key initiatives and projects.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience that result in the required level of knowledge, skill and competence, may be considered.
Competencies and Attributes
- Demonstrates exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written; able to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; can handle the unexpected with flexibility.
- A team-player who favors collaborative approaches when working with internal and external partners.
- Customer Service Orientation – uses a long-term perspective.
- Strategic Orientation – plans actions to fit strategy and external events.
- Achievement Orientation – makes successful risk analyses.
- Co-operation & Organizational Teamwork – builds team spirit.
- Interpersonal Relations – adjusts behavior and responds appropriately and professionally.
- Problem-Solving / Decision-Making – makes tough decisions, resolves complex issues.
- Team Leadership – supports and operationalizes the SaskWCB’s vision.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AKAV-350475 Chief Technology Officer & Vice-President Business Intelligence – Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board - SK - Regina (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.