Chief Legal Officer – Farm Mutual Re
The Farm Mutual Reinsurance Plan
In 1955 the OMIA began discussing a number of alternative plans for reinsurance. Those talks led to the formation of what was then called the Farm Mutual Reinsurance Plan (FMRP) in 1959. Ten years later, FMRP incorporated as a mutual insurance company and in 2017, we rebranded to become known as Farm Mutual Re.
In The Beginning
At first the mutuals had to gain their knowledge of insurance by experience. As the number of companies grew, it became apparent that they should get together to share experiences and discuss common problems and possible solutions. Representatives from mutual companies first got together to discuss these issues in 1882 and continued to meet as the Purely Mutual Underwriters Association of Ontario, the organization that is now known as the Ontario Mutual Insurance Association (OMIA). The OMIA was instrumental in the formation of the Fire Mutuals Guarantee Fund and enabled these small companies to speak with a united voice in dealings with governments.
FARM MUTUAL RE. is the first wholly Canadian-owned reinsurer
When Farm Mutual Re was formed in 1959 by mutual insurance companies from across Ontario, it became the first 100 percent Canadian-owned reinsurance company.
Our member companies were pioneers in the mutual industry in Canada. Many of these companies were formed in the mid-1800s, after the Governor of Upper Canada introduced legislation in 1836 permitting the establishment of mutual companies. These first mutual insurers were designed to help local farmers manage risk.
|Job Title:||General Counsel|
|Reports to:||President & CEO|
The General Counsel is responsible for the provision of legal services and legal advice across Farm Mutual Re to support the organization’s business and operations as well as to identify and mitigate exposure to legal risks. The General Counsel is also responsible for Privacy and Compliance.
- Work with senior leadership, managers, subsidiaries, and other counsel to advise on a variety of legal issues.
- Assist business to negotiate, draft, interpret and honour commercial agreements and other documents having legal effect.
- Prepare and interpret legal and other documents (e.g., contracts, statutes, correspondence, internal business initiatives).
- Support legal expense management initiatives.
- Provide expertise and support on governance matters.
- Identify, monitor, and provide updates on claim-related case law, legislative developments, and legal trends.
- Collaborate effectively with the claim’s organization and other areas of the company as needed to achieve business goals and initiatives.
- Provide updates and training on relevant legal risks, issues and precedents, processes and policies that support business objectives and mitigate legal risks.
- Liaise and work with external counsel, senior management, and members.
- Act as Chief Privacy Officer.
- Act as Chief Compliance Officer.
- Actively participate in and support the management team and board of directors.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Full review of legal affairs & compliance
- Elevate internal governance function & capabilities
- Review & optimize external legal spend
- Support M&A and Integration activity
The successful candidate will have the following:
- B/J.D. and a member in good standing of a Canadian provincial law society.
- 10 – 15 years’ experience, obtained in private practice and/or as in-house counsel in corporate commercial and insurance law.
- An equivalent level of education/experience may be considered
- Insurance regulatory experience would be an asset.
Competencies and Attributes
- Interpretation and drafting of contracts and other types of legal documents
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and statutory interpretation
- Knowledge of commercial agreements
- Knowledge of risk assessment
- Knowledge of corporate governance
- Understanding of public policy and its implications for a regulated industry
- Advocacy skills
- Negotiation skills
- Strong business judgment
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional listening skills
- Ability to communicate complex concepts in easily understandable terms to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to influence without authority
- Ability to build trust as an expert advisor
- Ability to provide solutions to complex issues
- Unquestionable personal and professional integrity
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Application deadline is Thursday, January 28, 2021.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: NJohnson@optimumtalent.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ARMX-174211 Chief Legal Officer – Farm Mutual Re - ON - Cambridge / Greater Toronto Area West (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.