Chief Innovation Officer – Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan
ALBERTA SCHOOL EMPLOYEE BENEFIT PLAN
Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan’s (ASEBP) roots are in Alberta’s education sector. Jointly sponsored by the Alberta Teachers’ Association (ATA) and the Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA) in 1968, ASEBP was created to provide a unique service: provision of health and welfare benefits specifically for the public education sector. This relationship guides ASEBP, shapes its decisions and secures its focus as a committed partner for school jurisdictions in Alberta’s K-12 education sector. Today, ASEBP serves over 60,000 covered members and 65,000 dependents in almost 60 school jurisdictions and 11 associations across Alberta. Its focus is on prevention, and the commitment is to creating resources designed to foster healthy lifestyles and healthy workplaces.
ASEBP is continually refining their approach in order to improve, maintain and protect their covered members’ overall wellness. They reinvest plan dollars in proactive health benefits and services, and focus on fostering healthy lifestyles and healthy workplaces through innovative offerings and partnerships like The Sandbox—your space for healthy school workplaces. They’re always adapting and looking for new ways to reach and support their covered members and use evidence to inform their progressive plan design and case management, practices and programming.
ASEBP is different from traditional insurance providers and their governance structure offers no exception. Governed by 10 Trustees, five appointed by the ASBA and five appointed by the ATA, the Trustees are bound by a Deed of Trust which sets out their operational terms and conditions. ASEBP’s Trustees are responsible for determining the mission, values and strategic direction of the organization. The Chief Executive Officer—appointed by the Trustees—along with the rest of ASEBP’s executive team then operationalize these and translate them into health initiatives, products and services which demonstrate a high value for covered members and their dependents.
Mission| As the recognized leader in providing comprehensive health benefits and services specifically designed to meet the needs of Alberta’s public education sector, ASEBP is a committed partner in promoting, protecting, improving and sustaining the health of our covered members and their dependents.
People. However you connect with ASEBP, their supportive culture and commitment to quality service means that they’re with you—wherever you are on your health journey.
Integrity. Being a trusted partner on your health journey means ensuring this responsibility is reflected throughout every aspect of their organization.
Collaboration. ASEBP sees health as a shared responsibility. When individuals, organizations, health benefit plans and other stakeholders all work together to promote, protect, improve and sustain health and well-being in Alberta—everyone benefits.
Innovation. From technology tailored to your needs, to creative approaches for achieving health outcomes or effectively managing the plan, they are always seeking innovative opportunities to enhance our services.
Sustainability. Whether they’re carefully balancing investments, leveraging knowledge or assessing trends, ASEBP’s focus remains on the long-term sustainability of the plan for current and future generations.
For further information, please visit ASEBP’s website at www.asebp.ab.ca.
|Job Title:||Chief Innovation Officer|
|Reports to:||Chief Executive Officer|
|Direct Reports:||Director Analytics & Technology Services|
As a member of the executive leadership team, the Chief Innovation Officer (CINO) is responsible for driving and achieving continuous operational efficiency improvement through business processes and technological innovation. This role creates business value through innovation in technology, data management, and systems architecture. The CINO is responsible for IT strategic and tactical planning as well as identifying, selecting, and deploying the appropriate technology resources in support of organizational goals and objectives. This role reports to the CEO.
Technology and Innovation Leadership
- Develop the information architecture and framework that will inform creative solutions and allow the organization to make effective business decisions;
- Identify, develop, and implement strategic solutions for opportunities and obstacles for innovation to support continued business growth;
- Responsible for analyzing and improving upon technology standards and maintaining organizational awareness of new technologies;
- Collaborate with other leaders to identify opportunities to innovate in the delivery of services, develop information capabilities, and improve operational performance;
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a sustainable IT strategy including oversight for risk management, infrastructure, business intelligence, and people leadership;
- Anticipate future needs of the organization, and identify sustainable concepts, industry best practices, and business process improvements to meet these needs;
- Research emerging tools, processes, and practices and implement them as required; and
- Work collaboratively across the organization to share knowledge, seek synergies and prioritize IT activities.
- Assist the business with business case development and prioritization for solution investments;
- Analyze financial and statistical operating results relative to established budgets and objectives and ensure that ASEBP continues to operate within approved budget parameters;
- Demonstrate expertise in the alignment and focusing of resources to achieve the strategic vision of ASEBP;
- Express views with confidence and conviction; provide frank and fearless advice; and
- Build and maintain strong relationships with ASEBP stakeholders and external partners.
- Build organizational talent by creating a learning environment that ensures all employees have the training and skills needed to utilize the available technology to meet the business needs;
- Lead and inspire others within the organization to seek and implement improvements and changes that continuously move ASEBP toward achievement of its vision;
- Build organizational capacity by providing the team with the opportunity and support to develop skills and capabilities; and
- Manage talent effectively to achieve results; share workload and reward willingly with a broader group.
- A team-focused culture that supports people and performance;
- World class engagement scores and globally recognized by the American Psychological Association as being a Psychologically Healthy Workplace;
- Competitive compensation that goes far beyond a pay cheque;
- An exciting chance to make an impact in the lives of Alberta’s school employees;
- Advancement opportunities in a stable, growing organization; and
- A wide range of health and wellness initiatives that encompass mental, physical and nutritional health.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trusted, collaborative relationships with the executive leadership team and the Trustees;
- Move the needle forward on integrating AI and BI initiatives further into the organization; and
- Demonstrate a collaborative approach to advancing the organization as one ASEBP.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; and
- Completion of a Master’s degree is an asset.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in leadership positions;
- Experience working with complex and politically sensitive environments, coupled with several years of progressive management experience;
- Previous work with unionized client groups is an asset; and
- Experience in the benefits industry, preferably in health & welfare trusts and/or providing benefits to the education sector, would be considered an asset.
A combination of education and experience may be considered.
Competencies and Attributes
- Transformational Leadership Skills |Positive psychological capital and emotional intelligence.
- Project Management | Overseeing the design, development and implementation of new technology and processes.
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills | Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide variety of individuals and groups.
- Excellent Planning and Organizational skills | Ability to develop, implement, and evaluate business plans and initiatives.
- Change Management | Demonstrated understanding and successful application of change management processes.
- Critical Thinking | Strong decision making, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent Communications Skills | Strong written and verbal skills with an ability to effectively communicate complex health and benefit information to a variety of audiences.
- Technical Evangelist | Expert level understanding of software development, infrastructure and data, the passion to advocate for its adoption.
- Enterprise Level Thinking | Ability to understand business strategy and direction with the ability to articulate and identify how innovation can support “one ASEBP”.
- Analytical | The ability to leverage insights and opportunities from data and metrics to build strategies and recommendations in the health benefits and disability management industry.
- Service Focus | Understands and meets the needs of covered members and participating employers and seeks opportunities to stretch capabilities and deliver beyond expectations.
- Integrity | Is open and honest in dealing with others. Is candid, sincere and ethical and constantly seeks to achieve best practice. Does not take expedient approaches at the expense of quality outcomes.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AXJS-713527 Chief Innovation Officer – Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.