Chief Human Resources Officer – Covenant Health
Covenant Health builds on a 155-year legacy of their founding congregations of Sisters. These courageous women laid the foundation of Alberta’s healthcare system, responding to the everyday needs of communities and the unmet needs of the sick and dying with the highest standards of quality, caring for the whole person—body, mind and spirit.
That spirit anchors a vibrant corporate culture of compassion and innovation named one of Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures in 2017, and a World’s Most Ethical Company™ in 2019. Covenant Health’s engaged physicians, employees and volunteers embrace a shared mission as they provide quality compassionate care and work to transform health care to respond to the changing needs of Albertans now and into the future.
Today, Covenant Health plays a leadership role in shaping and delivering health services, supporting Alberta Health Services and the Government of Alberta in achieving their goals. Covenant Health’s facilities and programs have a significant footprint that extends across the continuum of care and the province. They provide extensive core services, as well as specialty services to meet unmet needs in 12 communities. They work collaboratively to meet the healthcare needs of people across Alberta based on priority health needs and stakeholder engagement.
Quality care is central to Covenant Health’s mission of service, and is demonstrated through their consistently high accreditation results each survey cycle. In 2017, Accreditation Canada awarded Covenant Health with the standing of Accredited with Commendation. Covenant Health programs and services are fully subject to meeting health service delivery standards in the province, and to meeting the requirements of their Catholic sponsors that their work be carried out according to the highest quality standards.
Covenant Health looks at health holistically, discerning the unmet healthcare needs of communities and vulnerable populations, recognizing that health and well-being is more than the absence of disease.
Guided by their mission and commitment to exceptional care, Covenant Health finds opportunities and innovations to address unique health issues. They are a trusted partner in leading programs at zone and provincial levels that have a significant health impact for Albertans.
Recognized five times as an Alberta Top Employer with a vibrant mission, distinct culture and strong tradition, Covenant Health offers a workplace that is meaningful and provides an opportunity for people to grow, flourish and live their calling each day.
Mission | We are called to continue the healing ministry of Jesus by serving with compassion, upholding the sacredness of life in all stages and caring for the whole person—body, mind and soul.
Vision | Inspired by our mission of service, we will be leaders and partners in transforming health care and creating vibrant communities of health and healing.
Values | As a Catholic organization, we are committed to serving people of all faiths, cultures and circumstances, according to our values of compassion, respect, collaboration, social justice, integrity, and stewardship.
Covenant Health is a key partner within the single, integrated health system that serves Alberta. Working with Alberta Health, Alberta Health Services (AHS), Covenant Care, Covenant Living and others towards a common goal of providing a patient/resident- focused, accessible and sustainable health system, Covenant Health is aligned with and supports the Government’s vision and priorities for the health system.
Covenant Health adds value to the provincial health system through their reputation and performance as a top- accredited provider and good steward of resources. As a nimble organization with a nationally recognized culture based in a mission of service, they foster innovation, choice and flexibility. Committed to collaboration and stewardship, they leverage existing services and supports and pioneer new solutions to help make the system stronger.
For further information please visit their website at: https://www.covenanthealth.ca/
Job Title: Chief Human Resources Officer
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: 6 Direct Reports:
- Manager HR Strategy, Integration & Analytics
- Corporate Director of Labour Relations & HR Client Partnerships
- Corporate Director of Occupational Health, Safety & Wellness
- Corporate Director of HR Business Services, Talent Acquisition & Total Compensation
- Corporate Director of Talent, Learning & Organization Development
- Chief Communications Officer
Indirect Reports: 130 (Human Resources) + 45 (Communications)
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
As one of Canada’s largest Catholic providers of health care, Covenant Health positively influences the health of Albertans and adds value as a key partner in Alberta’s integrated health system through their rich history and current role, breadth of programs and services, high quality and performance, systems leadership and the strength of our people.
The Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) provides executive leadership in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization. The CHRO provides strategic leadership to the Human Resources portfolio and is accountable for the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive range of human resources programs and services. Culture drives outcomes and the mission of Covenant Health drives the organization; the CHRO will fundamentally understand that the mission is grounded in the history of the Sisters and is integral to business success. In alignment with Covenant Health’s strategic priorities of Serve, Transform and Grow, and Contribute, the CHRO will champion a culture in which every team member can thrive in their calling to serve.
- Contribute to the development of Covenant Health’s strategic direction.
People and Culture Leadership:
- Provide inspiring leadership in articulating and implementing a People and Culture Strategy that supports Covenant Health’s ability to achieve its priorities that is built on its faith-based tradition and values;
- Drive a work culture that aligns with the corporate strategy, differentiates Covenant Health as an employer, promotes engagement, encourages innovation, and builds human capacity through empowering the vocation of each member;
- Support and encourage the continued development of positive relationships between management and staff;
- Ensure sustainability of a mission-based workforce across the organization to drive the desired culture of Covenant Health;
- Continue to build strategic and collegial working relationships with key stakeholders in AHS to leverage collective strengths and ensure Covenant Health’s message is heard and recognized; and
- In rural environments, continue to ensure risks associated with leadership continuity are identified and managed.
Human Resources Leadership:
- Oversee the preparation and effective administration of the portfolio’s annual operating budget and ensure effective and efficient use of available resources;
- Work with Senior Management to identify and fulfill the human resources needs of the organization, deploying effective HRM policies, practices and services;
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with both local and external representatives;
- Work with the senior executive team to identify potential leaders, build a dynamic bench of potential successors and accelerate their readiness to address anticipated leadership changes in the organization;
- Respond to legislative/policy changes (i.e. occupational health and safety) within an environment constrained by wage freezes/funding challenges and impacted by political realities; and
- Oversee the collective bargaining process for 12 collective agreements and essential services agreements in a period of funding constraints; this will require contingency planning including and possibly managing through a phase of labour unrest.
- Provide executive leadership to the Chief Communications Officer responsible for strategic communications and external engagement strategies and programs including a broad range of communications, public relations, social/digital and content marketing methods and programs in support of Covenant’s mission and vision.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Forge strong relationships throughout the organization, especially with the executive, senior leadership team and externally with union representatives, AHS and Alberta Health, along with both local and national Catholic health partners;
- Develop and implement a succession plan for the executive and senior leadership team;
- Review the current performance management system in order to implement changes so it becomes a rolling, ongoing work in progress, rather than a one-time, annual review;
- In collaboration with the Chief Communications Officer, develop a plan to enhance the brand strength of the organization and ensure consistent messaging to external partners in alignment with the mission and values of the organization; and
- Develop and begin to implement a rural recruitment strategy to attract and retain top talent in all of Covenant Health’s facilities throughout the province.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education with a concentration in human resources;
- Master’s level education considered an asset; and
- CPHR designation.
- Senior generalist experience in all aspects of core human resources services, with experience in labour relations, including collective bargaining;
- Previous experience in an environment with resource constraints and a demonstrated ability to effectively make difficult decisions related to resource allocation;
- Previously accountable for developing and implementing a vision and strategy for a business unit;
- Experience leading a capable and committed team of leaders who may be deep experts;
- Change management experience and demonstrated ability to motivate and align others to shift their mindset, change behaviors and step up to accomplish their goals;
- Previous exposure to working with a board of directors; and
- Previous healthcare experience would be an asset.
Competencies and Attributes
- Strategic Mindset | Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Cultivates Innovation | Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Drives Engagement | Creating a climate where people are connected to Covenant Health’s mission of serving others and are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
- Interpersonal Savvy | Understanding other’s motivations and interests. Being aware of one’s impact on people and events. Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
- Collaborates | Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Ensures Accountability | Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments and achieve results.
- Courage | Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- Manages Ambiguity | Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust | Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, authenticity and living Covenant Health’s values.
- Drives Result | Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Emotional Maturity | Transcends personal emotions and self-interest for the best interest of the organization and community, modeling Catholic healthcare ministry values in daily activities.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A015022 (ADBN-642511) Chief Human Resources Officer – Covenant Health - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.