Chief Executive Officer – The Alex
The Alex (The Alexandra Community Health Centre) is changing how we look at health care in Calgary. Their health, housing and food programs support the most vulnerable population in Calgary, tackling tough health and social issues head-on.
They know that good health is the complete state of physical, mental, emotional and economic well-being. People cannot enjoy whole health when they are hungry, in chronic pain, when they do not have a roof over their head, when they feel disconnected from their community and living in poverty. Fixing one of these issues while ignoring the rest is just a band-aid solution.
The Alex breaks down access and social barriers and tailors services to meet individuals’ needs. From babies to seniors, their clients are as unique and special as the care they receive.
Their focus is crisis prevention, and their team of professionals works hard to step in before long-term interventions are needed, giving preventative care in a welcoming, easy to access environment. Since 1973, their cost-effective programs have saved millions in taxpayer dollars by moving people from poverty to stability and from crisis to wellness.
The Alex has an annual operating budget of approximately $23 million.
Delivering innovative and accessible health and social solutions
A community of healthy individuals
For further information about The Alex, please visit their website at http://www.thealex.ca/
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Chief Operating Officer, Director of Research and Evaluation, Director of Fund Development (vacant) and Chief Financial Officer
Indirect Reports: 250
Location: Calgary, AB
Closing Date: November 15, 2018
The CEO will be the external voice of The Alex, articulating the strategy and story, solidifying existing and building new partner and funding relationships, and enhancing the overall image and awareness of the organization. The CEO will be a transformational leader, accustomed to engaging and navigating complexity, a strategic influencer and role model of the values, vision and mission of the organization. A seasoned, credible and engaging leader, this individual will effectively influence and advocate on behalf of The Alex, build on community outreach efforts, and drive increased visibility locally, regionally and nationally to enhance the organization’s impact on Calgary’s most vulnerable population.
As a forward-thinking visionary leader who can capitalize on the huge potential of The Alex and provide the direction and strategic framework to execute and implement the vision, the CEO ‘s key areas of focus will be:
- Provide direction through human-centered leadership and a broad vision for the organization – building upon a strong foundation towards an enhanced level of excellence
- Provide leadership to ensure the execution and successful implementation of the strategic plan, working to achieve established goals with an overall awareness of the mitigation of risk, and ensure an alignment of program and services to strategy
- In partnership with the Board of Directors, conducts an annual strategic review of the plan, ensuring the implementation includes research and metrics, new learnings and emerging trends in the community and government landscapes
- Co-create a shared vision where all members of the team have a sense of ownership and purpose aligned to organizational goals.
- Inspire others, lead by example, and successfully encourage and foster the same style throughout the organization
- Deliberate risk taking; consider the expertise of the leadership team and available data to chart a course forward where all variables cannot be known
- Lead through organizational change while maintaining a focus on vision, mission, and values
- Enhance the commitment to organizational culture, valuing a client service orientation across all levels of the organization
- Responsible for the overall management and direction of the organization, ensuring that the goals of the organization are achieved through the continued development of innovative practices
- Develop effective and efficient operations and management of all organizational programs and services, ensuring that policies and procedures are appropriate and aligned with the goals and objectives of the organization
- Ensure a sound corporate communication plan is developed and implemented
Engagement Leadership & Advocacy:
- Build and maintain a strong, positive, collaborative and trusting relationship with the Board and all other stakeholders
- Increase the profile of The Alex, tell the organizational story, and develop and maintain influential positioning with partners and with all levels of government
- Seek out key roles on regional, provincial, and national committees that focus on emerging trends and innovation related to the work of The Alex
Fiscal Management & Resource Development:
- Articulate to the Board a clear vision for fiscal sustainability, ensuring the organization’s financial services and operations are managed efficiently and effectively
- Negotiate agreements with funders and governments
- Review and update appropriate control mechanisms to identify and mitigate risks to achieving the strategic plan
- Develop an effective fund development strategy that reflects the vision and mission of The Alex and optimizes financial results
- Develop and maintain positive influential relationships with funders and donors with the goal of decreasing The Alex’s reliance on public funding
- Ensure that the Board has all the information and support necessary to effectively exercise its governance responsibilities
- Work in close collaboration with the Board Chair to determine the scheduling of, and agendas for, meetings of the Board and Committees of the Board, to ensure that the Board is kept apprised in a timely manner of main issues facing the organization, and to ensure there is an effective relationship between the Senior Leadership Team and the members of the Board
- Provide information to the Board regarding Strategic Plans and relevant environmental scanning data
- Prepare CEO report; organize and attend all regular and special board and committee meetings
FIRST YEAR ATTRACTIONS / DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Join an organization that changes the lives of thousands of people through health, housing and food programs
- Inherit an organization with a strong legacy and foundation, and influence how emergent services are delivered system wide to improve outcomes to this vulnerable population
- Be a visionary leader who will successfully write the next chapter for The Alex
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Successfully built a cohesive and collaborative relationship with the leadership team increasing operational excellence and organizational agility as well as developed a followership from within the organization improving employee satisfaction metrics
- Forge new strategic alliances while building strong, effective and trusting relationships with partner organizations and funders, to increase the public profile of The Alex
- Review and refine the current strategic plan and ensure activities are aligned with the execution of the plan
- Develop a resource development plan which will include the recruitment of a Director, Fund Development
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A post-secondary degree, preferably at a master’s level, in business, health, social services or a relevant field is preferred
- A seasoned professional with proven leadership experience (preferably 15 years in a formal leadership role), leading organizations with established and emergent complexity in an area related to social services, or an in-depth understanding of and relevant experience within the public sector
- Demonstrated experience working closely with community partners leading and forging collaborative solutions and initiatives
- Ability to think strategically and develop a long-term business plan to ensure the organization’s ongoing sustainability
- Extensive experience building effective relationships with diverse groups of individuals, including senior executives, Boards, government, community leaders, and staff
- Track record building organizational capacity and cultivating talent – recruiting, retaining, coaching, leading and mentoring high performing cross- functional teams
- An understanding of Board Governance and a proven track record of working constructively with a Board of Directors
Competencies and Attributes
- A transparent and collaborative leader with a track record of empowering employees
- Proven change management skills at both strategic and operational levels
- A high-degree of emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- A results-driven, entrepreneurial perspective with a resourceful “make it happen” attitude and an ability to inspire urgency
- Visionary and proactive, highly creative and flexible; a conceptual thinker with a high degree of passion, and ability to consistently exhibit a positive outlook
- Demonstrated professionalism, cultural sensitivity, humility, ethics and adaptability
- Comfortable in a role requiring high visibility, a confident public speaker with an expressive style that is agreeable to diverse stakeholder groups
- Ability to work effectively with elected officials, executives of different levels of government, nonprofit organizations, and peer agencies
- Demonstrated ability to gain respect, trust, credibility and confidence
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AYOK-084627 Chief Executive Officer – The Alex - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.