Chief Executive Officer – REALTORS® Association of Hamilton-Burlington
Established in 1921, the REALTORS® Association of Hamilton-Burlington (RAHB) is a not-for-profit organization representing more than 3,190 real estate brokers and salespersons located throughout Hamilton, Burlington and surrounding areas.
RAHB has two important mandates: to promote the collective interests of licensed members, and to champion property ownership by consumers. Complacency is not part of RAHB’s culture, since the organization strives to continuously improve to meet the changing needs of its members and stakeholders. RAHB operates the local Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®) and provides ongoing professional development for its members, as well as being an advocate on behalf of members at local municipalities and with key stakeholders. In addition, RAHB supports advocacy at all levels of government. Additional information about RAHB can be found at rahb.ca
RAHB is managed by a CEO accountable to the Board of Directors (the “Board”).
RAHB’s vision statement indicates what our association strives to become, therefore guiding everything we do.
Our vision is to: Be the ultimate choice for REALTORS®.
RAHB’s mission statement defines what our organization is, or in other words, our purpose.
Our mission is: Empowering REALTORS® to Succeed
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: The Board of Directors
Location: Hamilton-Burlington Region
Real Estate is a rapidly changing industry. The CEO must be able to strategically lead the organization through uncharted territory, while maintaining the commitment to the more than 3190 members of the Association. As RAHB navigates issues such as government relations, professionalism, and advocacy, the Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for ensuring that the Board stays ahead of industry trends and will find new ways to engage and build the Association’s membership.
The role of the new RAHB CEO will be to continue the organization’s trajectory of success. The recent increase in membership has meant that RAHB can present a strong voice to government, as well as emphasize the professionalism and sophistication of its members to potential and current clients. Experience in balancing interests and finding cost efficient ways to enhance member’s services will be essential, as well as being adaptable and nimble. Seasoned association executives often have the skill set, as do leaders who come from stakeholder-driven organizations.
This is a complex leadership role which involves not only the management of RAHB staff, but also the vision, commitment and expertise to work with directors, members and other stakeholders.
Relations with RAHB’s Board
- In conjunction with the Board the CEO will develop, maintain, and gain approval for RAHB’s strategic plan along with success metrics for the plan, and provide regular progress reports against the plan
- Ensure that the Board is kept apprised of the organization’s challenges and successes
- Build and maintain a strong understanding of current and future issues impacting members. Aid members to meet the needs of their clients in a rapidly changing industry
- Ensure that policy positions developed by RAHB are aligned with the Board and member priorities
- Ensure that RAHB’s activities and services are aligned with member’s priorities
- Ensure that RAHB is perceived as delivering high and unique value to its members
- Ensure that RAHB is viewed by the municipal and other governments as the go-to organization for real estate information in the region, and a strong and effective advocate for its members
- Ensure that thought and opinion leaders (media, Chambers of Commerce, business leaders) perceive RAHB to be an important source of information on real estate in the region
- Promote a positive image of REALTORS® and RAHB to the public at large
Use of Technology
- Ensure the reliability and accuracy of the MLS® system
- Identify new and potentially disruptive technologies/business practices in the real estate sector and their effect on members and the association
- Present opportunities for data growth and enrichment through collaborations with other associations
- Ensure that the organization is staffed, organized and has a culture that is proactive, strategic, innovative and responsive to member needs
- Work with staff to set, execute and report on annual business and development goals that support RAHB’s mission and strategic goals, and ensure that they have the training, tools and other support required to achieve them
- Ensure effective two-way communication among staff so that they are aware of the big picture and so that organizational issues are communicated to the CEO in a timely basis
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES
The CEO role will provide the opportunity to:
- Work with an engaged and articulate Board to further the mandate of RAHB
- Work with the Board and Association membership on the evolving use of technology in Real Estate, including enhancing the integrity of the MLS® system; identifying new data sharing technologies and raising potentially disruptive business/technology issues to the Board
- Build on RAHB’s positive reputation within the industry, local government, and businesses
- Develop a comprehensive, inclusive, and transparent process of operational planning designed to meet strategic priorities established by the Board and changing trends in real estate
- Lead a strong team to support and further RAHB’s mission
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the CEO’s ability to:
- Firmly establish himself or herself as a trusted advisor to the Board with respect to overall management of the organization
- Play an instrumental role in the development and implementation of the Strategic Plan for RAHB
- Enhance existing and develop and foster new relationships with key external stakeholders
- Increase organizational visibility and the awareness of RAHB within the broader community, including building relationships with other associations
- Secure data share with other Ontario boards, in the manner prescribed by RAHB
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Significant experience (10+ years) in progressively more senior leadership roles with external visibility in a dynamic business environment
- Knowledge of the Real Estate Sector would be an asset as well as knowledge of real estate policy, local, regional and provincial government priorities
- Experience working with a Board and a demonstrated understanding of good governance principles and practices; willingness to work under RAHB’s established governance policies and procedures
- A degree from a recognized university in a related professional discipline; OR a combination of education, training, and experience deemed by the selection committee to be equivalent
- Experience developing and executing tactical action plans that support strategic goals set by the Board
- Excellent negotiation and relationship management skills
- Executive presence and communication skills including the ability to work respectfully with the Board and advance decisions that the Board has made
- Demonstrated ability to work with business leaders & local politicians
- Media experience
- Experience aligning a large and diverse group of stakeholders towards common goals
- Experience leading, engaging, motivating staff in a results driven environment
- Government relations experience is a key asset
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
- Business Acumen: Makes sound commercial judgements and actions to ensure financial success; applies balanced risk management to capitalise on opportunity and/or remediate a situation; understands, interprets and appreciates financial information and predictability; applies financial acumen and skills; financially savvy.
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the real estate environment, and the vision and values of the organization. Determines strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Communicates Effectively: Communicates effectively with diverse audiences and stakeholder groups in multiple media.
- Builds Relationships: Understands and utilizes the power of developing and maintaining a network of relationships to achieve goals. Establishes and maintains positive working partnerships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Decisive: Assesses situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and makes confident, clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization. Acts decisively to drive outcomes.
- Ethics and Integrity: Candid, sincere and ethical. Understands ethical business practices and ensures that own behaviour and the actions of others are consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organization.
- Adaptability: Can handle changes in circumstances and priorities and operate effectively in multiple and changing work environments. Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develops new and unique ways to improve the operations of the organization. Uses imagination and original approaches to resolve issues and challenges. Seeks out opportunities for improved effectiveness in meeting stakeholder needs.
- Fosters Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Organized: Sets priorities, develops a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities. Can operate effectively with few defined boundaries or structure.
- Takes Initiative: Initiates change and improvement; makes things happen; proactive. Can provide frank and fearless advice and takes personal accountability for driving and delivering results and achieving outcomes.
Applications will be accepted until Friday July 5th, 2019.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A015153 (AVYW-027735) Chief Executive Officer – REALTORS® Association of Hamilton-Burlington - ON - Toronto and GTA (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.