Chief Executive Officer – Northlands
It all started in 1879 when 275 people gathered together to exhibit their best livestock, grain, vegetables and crafts. This collection of farmers, ranchers and agriculturalists were eager to volunteer their time for the greater good – to serve the community in a way that would benefit everyone.
Northlands hosted its first exhibition (now known as K-Days) on October 15, 1879 and has since been operating in Edmonton for more than 137 years. Northlands is older than both the City of Edmonton and the Province of Alberta.
As a not-for-profit, Northlands has a renewed focus to provide Albertans with memorable experiences that bring together amazing events, agricultural awareness and community enrichment. Things may have changed over the years but their beliefs are still the same, Northlands believes our community is best when we come together – that’s why they do what they do.
Events: Northlands loves creating memorable events that bring one community together. Whether it is a signature event like K-Days, Farmfair International, Amazing Agriculture or providing assistance to another event – Northlands wants to make sure they enrich the lives of people in our community.
Agriculture: Northlands is committed to building agricultural awareness. By facilitating education, awareness, commercialization and commerce, Northlands is able to support the agricultural industry as well as showcase its innovation and successes throughout the province and the world.
Community & Volunteers: Northlands believes in supporting our community. By investing in programs that support agriculture, arts & culture, education, children & youth, and by working with community leagues, business associations and other not-for-profits, they continue to build the Albertan community and create memories that last a lifetime.
Vision: Northlands strives to become a world-class leader in event management and programming, delivering brilliant experiences and agricultural education and development for Edmonton, northern Alberta, and the world.
- Fun: Have fun and create joy,
- Innovative: Lead and think differently
- Respectful: Talk, value and empower each other
- Safe: Work safe, live well.
- Trustworthy: Say it and do it.
For further information about Northlands, please visit their website at www.northlands.com .
PRESIDENT & CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: 4: Vice President Corporate Development; Vice President Corporate Operations; Vice President Corporate Services; and Executive Assistant
Indirect Reports: 45
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
The President & CEO will work closely with the Board of Directors and Shareholders to achieve their new strategic framework, Returning to our Roots, by developing and executing on a new strategic plan and generating excitement in the Alberta community on what Northlands will look like moving forward.
As the leader of the Northlands Leadership Team (NLT), the President & CEO will establish and empower the team to create a high-performance culture and provide key strategic direction. The successful candidate will help the organization grow by defining the key success factors for Northlands, maximize enterprise value and build open, trusting and collaborative relationships with key internal and external stakeholders such as strategic partners, clients, government officials and strategic sub-contractors & suppliers.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Positively represent Northlands in the community by building and nurturing relationships with volunteers, community organizations and not-for-profits, and supporting local initiatives;
- Engage the community in current and upcoming Northlands events, building momentum and enthusiasm for Northlands’ future by identifying opportunities to “share the vision”;
- Initiate and participate in the annual strategic planning process by leading the team in the crafting of a strategic plan and bringing it to the Board of Directors for input, review, and approval;
- Lead monthly meetings of the Northlands Leadership Team (NLT) to review progress on the strategic and business plan initiatives;
- Review and advise on recommended changes to the organizational structure to meet strategic goals and competitive challenges;
- Develop a corporate growth strategy and in conjunction with the NLT, conduct an opportunity assessment to identify markets, industries, services or events to expand into;
- Identify prospective “strategic partners” and initiate a process to develop collaborative joint ventures or partnerships that will leverage each other’s strengths;
- Develop a strong government relations strategy to work collaboratively with all three levels of government; and
- Monitor and identify trends in both the industry and throughout the local and regional economy to ensure Northlands continues to offer best-in-class service.
- Build trusting, open, and collaborative relationships with the Board of Directors;
- Build trusting relationships with Northlands’ financial stakeholders to work collaboratively to achieve growth objectives of the enterprise;
- Liaise with existing and prospective “strategic suppliers” and key sub-contractors to build/maintain collaborative working relationships;
- Stay abreast of the high-value that volunteers, community and not-for-profits bring to the corporation and how to build and grow these assets internally and externally;
- Enhance Northlands’ image on a local and regional level; and
- Proactively initiate opportunities to raise the level of participation and involvement of community and industry partners.
- Report on strategic and operational progress;
- Provide administrative support as requested; and
- Participate in strategic planning and all Board activities as requested.
- Review and approve the annual business plan and operating budget for the organization and each of its divisions;
- Lead in the development of new business lines (organic or acquisition) and subsequent business development opportunities;
- Act as key media spokesperson;
- Regularly review operating results throughout the organization, comparing against established objectives, and confirm that appropriate measures are taken to correct unsatisfactory results;
- Provide advice, guidance, direction and authorization to the NLT to carry out plans and procedures consistent with established policies and goals; and
- Direct the development of organizational policies to enhance internal productivity and identify opportunities for continuous improvement (such as IT, IS etc.) to ensure the organization is operating efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure the financial structure is in support of the overall objectives, making changes as required;
- Maintain a high-level understanding of funding and grants available to the organization; and
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors and VP Corporate Services, approve all significant commitments (RFQ’s, RFI’s, Proposals and Tenders) to ensure strategic and operational alignment and to maximize competitive advantage.
- Build a strong professional network increasing business contacts and connections to more comprehensively understand business growth issues and strategies; and
- In conjunction with the VP Corporate Development identify and regularly review business development opportunities and outstanding proposals.
- Empower direct reports to bring forward recommendations for strategic improvement;
- Ensure a mentoring process is in place to grow high-potential staff as part of the overall succession plan;
- Foster a positive culture that encourages staff retention, productivity and high morale;
- Embody and model Northlands’ corporate values and standards of business conduct throughout the organization; and
- Act as the Northlands “culture keeper” to ensure that key corporate values remain intact and serve to guide internal and external behaviors, actions and attitudes.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Work alongside the Board of Directors and Senior Leadership team to review, update, and modernize the Strategic Plan for Edmonton Northlands;
- Work with the staff at Northlands to update and align a revised business plan with the strategic direction of the Board of Directors;
- Establish strong partnerships and collaborative working agreements with key stakeholders including the Government of Alberta, the City of Edmonton, Corporate partners, key vendors, and community leaders;
- Change the perception of Northlands as a location to a vibrant organization in the Edmonton community;
- Review and align internal staffing core skills and capabilities with the future strategic and operational needs of the business;
- Determine and execute on what Northlands’ role within the agricultural sector will be.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Master of Business Administration considered an asset.
- A proven track record of strategic planning and execution;
- A solid operations background with proven operating experience at a senior level in a multi-faceted, multi-stakeholder complex corporation;
- A clear view and keen understanding of Greater Edmonton’s economic framework;
- An established relationship builder who invites conversation and who embraces the notion that partnership and collaboration, both internal and external, will result in the greatest success;
- Prior experience reporting to and working closely with a Board of Directors, various committees and stakeholder groups would be preferred; and
- Experience operating in a political environment.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
Job Skills and Demonstrated Abilities:
- Ability to build trust with, influence and lead individuals, teams and diverse groups:
- Ability to use financial acumen to oversee budget and create, measure, and evaluate strategic options and opportunities: and
- Ability to present effective messages, presentations, and reports both verbally and in writing.
- Visionary – Has a clear vision for the organization, confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
- Organizational Leadership – Demonstrates strategic leadership balanced with authenticity, respect for others, and trust building within the organization, with the Board, and stakeholders. Proactively drives an organization to a higher level of performance, efficiency, and growth through inspiring action and commitment for best results.
- Influence in the Marketplace – Has growth mindset, builds and cultivates network of relationships, is influential and leverages Northlands unique position to proactively increase visibility, reputation, and competitive advantage that generates interest, passion for investing in community. Successfully navigates the complex dynamics of local, regional, and national environment.
- Grows Business and Revenue – Possesses a high-level of business acumen and broad management skillset, is effective at generating and growing financial support for the organization. Is able to raise funds by effectively engaging and linking a variety of strategic partners and volunteers to inform and contribute to advancing the mission.
- Partnership Mindset & Network-Oriented – has a partnership mindset: provides leadership at the local, regional, and national level.
- Mission Engaged – Is personally aligned with Northlands’ mission.
- Service to Stakeholders – Builds and strengthens productive, trusting and respectful internal and external relationships.
- Personal Accountability – Is committed to personal accountability.
- Results Focus – Works to meet/exceed expectations focusing on organizational results.
- Teamwork and Collaboration – Applies a collaborative and cooperative approach to working with others.
- Innovation and Embracing of Change – Develops innovative ideas and embraces change to enhance results.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AAHS - 547655 Chief Executive Officer – Northlands - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.