Chief Executive Officer – Habitat for Humanity Edmonton
Founded in 1991, Habitat for Humanity Edmonton is a non-profit housing organization that works to eliminate barriers to a better, healthier, more financially stable life for low income families in Edmonton and surrounding communities across northern Alberta.
As an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity Canada, they work with corporate, individual, and faith-based donors and volunteers to give families a hand up, not a handout. Habitat ReStores, their retail social enterprise, sells quality new and used donated household and building materials, which helps to offset operational costs and maximize the organization’s social impact.
Every 10 minutes, Habitat for Humanity helps a family improve their housing situation in more than 100 countries around the world.
- To see a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live
- Habitat builds strength, stability and self-reliance through affordable home ownership
- Strong and stable homes help build strong and stable communities
- Decent shelter is something we all need to thrive
- With a little help, we all have the potential to stand on our own
- Bold actions speak louder than words
- Working together, side by side, promotes understanding and self-reliance
For more information on Habitat for Humanity Edmonton, please visit: www.hfh.org.
|Job Title:||Chief Executive Officer|
|Reports to:||Board of Directors|
Reporting to the Board of Directors and in partnership with the Board, staff, partner families and other stakeholders, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) ensures that the organization fulfills its mission of mobilizing volunteers and community partners in providing safe, affordable housing and promoting homeownership as a means to breaking the cycle of poverty.
- Assures that the organization and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image;
- Builds strong and effective relationships with peer organizations, particularly Habitat for Humanity Canada and Habitat for Humanity International;
- Oversees donor relationships and makes one-on-one fund-raising solicitations where appropriate;
- Acts as a liaison between the organization and the community in which it operates;
- Advocates for the organization with all stakeholders including government, donors, volunteers, peer organizations and faith groups; and
- Participates in and provides support for the Habitat for Humanity Edmonton Community Advisory Council.
Marketing & Communications
- Serves as the organization’s primary spokesperson and representative;
- Actively advocates for the organization, its values, beliefs and programmatic efforts;
- Delivers key messages to the media and develops relationships with journalists and media outlets;
- Oversees and delivers an effective organization-wide Communications strategy.
- Ensures that the organization is a reliable source of information about affordable housing issues; and
- Seeks out public speaking engagements to propel the mission of the organization.
- Leads the development of a strategic plan for approval by the Board and successfully implements the corresponding annual operating plans, capital plans and other supporting initiatives;
- Develops and monitors strategies for ensuring the long-term viability and growth of the organization; and
- Collaborates with the Board to define and articulate the organization’s vision and strategic direction.
- Provides strong day-to-day values-based leadership;
- Develops and mentors leadership within the organization;
- Recruits the necessary competencies to further the organization’s mission;
- Oversees the operations of the organization and its compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
- Promotes a culture that reflects the organization’s values, encourages good performance, rewards productivity and ensures safety in all operations for both staff and volunteers;
- Evaluates the organization’s performance on a regular basis based on pre-determined goals;
- Builds and develops an organizational succession plan;
- Ensures that staff and board have sufficient and up-to-date information on all factors affecting the organization’s governance, risk, growth and operations; and
- Ensures that the Board of Directors, through the Chair, is informed of all material alterations in organizational design.
- Oversees design, delivery, quality and ongoing innovation of programs and services;
- Stays abreast of current trends related to the organization’s products and services and anticipates future trends likely to have an impact on its work;
- Ensures the consistent collection, analyses and strategic evaluation of information that is used to make decisions and/or measures the success of the organization’s program efforts and refines or changes programs in response to that information;
- Monitors the information technology platforms to ensure all areas of the organization’s needs are met within approved budgets;
- Provides clear and accurate information to keep the Board appropriately informed of the organization’s financial position and environmental analysis as required;
- Ensures the integrity of the Corporation’s internal control and management systems; and
- Identifies the principle risks of the business and ensures the implementation of initiatives to manage these risks.
Board Support and Governance
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the organization’s Board Committees;
- Supports operations and administration of the Board by advising and informing Board members and interfacing between Board, staff and Habitat Canada;
- Meets regularly and as required with the Chair to review material issues, ensuring the Chair is provided with relevant and timely information;
- Advises the Board in the development of policies and planning recommendations for all non-delegated policies;
- Assists the Nomination Committee in the selection and evaluation of Board members and board leadership; and
- Makes recommendations and supports the Board during orientation and self-evaluation.
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES
- With the full support of the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer will be given the flexibility to create innovative change to the HFHE operations that will assist in the execution of the strategic plan and increase the profile of the organization; and
- The Chief Executive Officer will be joining an organization that is well positioned for substantial growth through leveraging the various programs and services to residents within Edmonton Region.
- The incoming Chief Executive Officer will partner with an aligned, well-governed Board of Directors seeking a leader who thrives in an environment of collaboration and transparent, respectful questioning to drive growth for HFHE; and
- The successful candidate will be comfortable getting hands-on with the team, utilizing innovative thinking and creativity to initiate new strategies for growing the organization.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the entire organization. Review all management and operational structures and effect changes where required to ensure maximum efficiency and financial sustainability;
- Effect a measurable improvement in elevating the profile and rebuilding the community reputation of Habitat for Humanity Edmonton;
- Inspire a measurable improvement in culture with is evidence of improved collaboration and trust-building within all departments;
- Establish and/or maintain warm and trusting relationships with the Board, staff, funders, partner families and key external stakeholders; and
- Develop and begin to implement a strategy that will remedy current funding challenges and solidify a plan to obtain land while balancing the needs of partner families.
The successful candidate will ideally have the following:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in business, finance or a related field; and
- A master’s degree will be considered an asset.
- Minimum of 10 years’ senior leadership experience;
- Proven financial and business acumen;
- Track record of success within a complex, multi-stakeholder environment;
- Proven experience building successful relationships with community leaders in government, industry, and not for profit sectors;
- Experience reporting to and working with a Board of Directors;
- Network of connections in industries such as land acquisition, government, construction and banking; and
- Entrepreneurial in approach with a natural comfort for business development.
Competencies and Attributes
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner; Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience; comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Encourages others by creating enthusiasm, a feeling of investment and a desire to excel; inspires a healthy attitude to work by recognizing positive contributions.
- Interpersonal Understanding & Sensitivity
Accurately predicts others’ reactions to events; displays concern and respect for individuals’ feelings and opinions; understands others’ attitudes, interests and needs; takes time to listen to others.
Imagines future possibilities; thinks broadly and investigates a wide range of alternatives in developing a vision for the future; selects the most promising vision from a range of alternatives and communicates this vision to others.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others; has presence and commands respect; comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility; accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions.
inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments; maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally; shows consistency among principles.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AKPP-771225 Chief Executive Officer – Habitat for Humanity Edmonton - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.